All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Hans Olsen Strand
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Judy Foley
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  02:19:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mother's father, Hans Olsen Strand, was born 3 Feb. 1872 in North Aurdal, Norway to Ole Olsen Strand and Lina Johnson Bakken. His parents and birthplace information was on Hans's Registration of Marriage in LaCrosse County, Wisconsin, 28 Dec. 1896. I believe Ole Olsen was born in Sweden.

I have found Hans on the 1895 Winona, Minnesota Census and later U.S.censuses, but have no information on his actual birthplace (farm, parish), emigration or his arrival in the U.S.

I would appreciate any information anyone might have about my grandfather and his parents as my sister and I are hoping to travel to Norway in 2009. Thank you.

Judy Foley

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  03:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you please share more information. I can not get any hits from the Nordre Aurdal 1875 census. There is not one Ole Olsen there. Nor can I find them in the 1895 Minnesota census or 1900 census. If you have located them in the 1900 census it would give an immigration date.

Les
Go to Top of Page

Jean Marthaler

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  04:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I could not find a birth record in Nord Aurdal, Oppland so i decided to look in the Nord Odal records. Entry number 22 in the link below will give you the birth record for Hans Olsen on February 3, 1872.
JEAN

Kildeinformasjon: Hedmark fylke, Nord-Odal, Ministerialbok nr. 4 (1866-1873), Fødte og døpte 1872, side 70.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8876&idx_id=8876&uid=ny&idx_side=-74
Permanent bildelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070124370203.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Jean Marthaler

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  05:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe this is Hans Olsen Strand's parents and brother Julius in the 1865 census in Nord Odal. This record does match with Hans' father being born in Sweden.
In looking at Ancestry.com I find in the 1895 census in Winona, Winona County, Minnesota a Julius Strand, age 30, his wife Emma Strand and a 1 year old daughter named Lydia; living with them is 23 year old Hans Strand. Julius, Emma and Hans were all born in Norway. The record says that Julius has lived in Minnesota for 6 years and that Hans has lived in Minnesota for 2 years and 2 months. I would believe that this Julius is very likely the Julius in the 1865 census record.
JEAN

1865-telling for 0418 Nordre Odalen
District no. Page School distr. Local parish Parish Farm Title
477 7 151 Deel af Garvig, Berg og Knapper Mo Nordre Odalen Sandholen under Berg nordre 1
Pers.no. Household Given name Last name Family pos. Occupation Marital status Age Sex Birth place Cattle Sheep Goat Barley Mixed grain Oat Potatoes

3391 21 1 Ole Ols. Husfader Logerende Arbeidsm. g 28 m Sverige
3392 22 Lina Johnsd. hans Kone g 21 k Nordre Odal Prgj.
3393 23 Julius Ols. deres Søn ug 3 m Nordre Odal Prgj.
Go to Top of Page

Jean Marthaler

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  22:34:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, since no one has responded to this I will add a bit more info. Below is the May 17, 1863 marriage of Ole Olsen and Lina Johnsdatter. Notice that Ole is listed as from an area in Sweden and Lina is from the Bakken farm. Ole is listed as 25 1/2 years old and Lina is 18.
JEAN

This is entry number 13 in the file.

Kildeinformasjon: Hedmark fylke, Nord-Odal, Ministerialbok nr. 3 (1851-1865), Ekteviede 1864, side 155.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8875&idx_id=8875&uid=ny&idx_side=-156
Permanent bildelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070124370049.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Jean Marthaler

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  22:45:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Entry number 122 in the link below is the September 1, 1863 birth of Julius, the older brother to Hans Olsen Strand.
JEAN

Kildeinformasjon: Hedmark fylke, Nord-Odal, Ministerialbok nr. 3 (1851-1865), Fødte og døpte 1863, side 68.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8875&idx_id=8875&uid=ny&idx_side=-70
Permanent bildelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070124360546.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  22:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jean,

You are doing great!

You may be interested in learning how to post Hyperlinks to the message board. On the front page of this forum, scroll down and find "Testing Forum" Click on this and I have attempted to make it easy with hyperling posting.

Les
Go to Top of Page

Judy Foley
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  03:26:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les and Jean, Thank you so much for all this information. I kept getting stopped as soon as I tried to locate Hans or Julius in Norway, probably because I didn't know his birthplace was Nord Odal rather than Aurdal. Your messages were like finding treasure. By the time of the 1900 census, Hans and his wife Mina were in North Dakota.

Because my knowledge of the Norwegian language consists of little more than counting from 1-13, I'm not sure of the name of the parish or the farm. Could you clarify? If the farm still exists, y sister and I would like to visit the site if possible. Of course, it would e ideal if we found relatives still in Norway.

Thanks again. I will continue to study the information you've provided and keep going with my search.

Judy Foley

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  04:37:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be sure and check a couple of good lists of translated Norwegian words "dictionaries" -- see the Links available toward the upper right of this page.
Go to Top of Page

Jean Marthaler

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  05:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, here are what I believe to be the death records for Hans Olsen Strand's parents.

Entry number 11 below in 1897 may be the death record of Ole Olsen Strand. This gentleman matches in age and it says that he is from Ostbyie, Garvik and I believe this is in Sweden. This also says he is a widower and a pauper.

Kildeinformasjon: Hedmark fylke, Mo i Nord-Odal, Ministerialbok nr. 8 (1886-1901), Døde og begravede 1898, side 220.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1242&idx_id=1242&uid=ny&idx_side=-157
Permanent bildelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20051026010565.jpg

I believe that entry number 36 here for November 5, 1872 may very well be the death of Lina Johnsdatter who was the mother of Hans Olsen Strand. This age of being born in 1844 would be a match for her. Also I believe the Stormoen name is used in one of her other records.

Kildeinformasjon: Hedmark fylke, Nord-Odal, Ministerialbok nr. 4 (1866-1873), Døde og begravede 1873, side 208.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8876&idx_id=8876&uid=ny&idx_side=-201
Permanent bildelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070124370330.jpg

You may want to try and get someone to do a lookup in the Nord Odal bygdeboks to see if Lina's family is listed in the book, this may very well confirm this information for us.

Lester, I will try to practice with the Hyperlink but i just haven't done it yet. Sorry!
Jean
Go to Top of Page

Jean Marthaler

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  05:25:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again, one other thing to point out, I just looked again at the birth record for Hans Olsen Strand and it lists his father as Ole Olsen Oppi. If you look at the November 1872 death record for Lina Johnsdatter it gives her residence as Opi under Stormoen.
I do believe this is Hans' mother's death record.
JEAN
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  06:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Entry number 11 below in 1897 may be the death record of Ole Olsen Strand. This gentleman matches in age and it says that he is from Ostbyie, Garvik and I believe this is in Sweden.

This Ole Olsens birthplace was Østby u. Garvik (Østby under Garvik) and Garvik is a farm among other places in Mo in Nordre Odal.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  22:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lina Johnsdatter was an "uægte" child born Febr. 14 1845, see #18
her parents were John Hansen Bakken and Jøranne Christophersdatter Holen.
They married Dec 281848. See
Jøranne was born Febr 14 1827, see #10
her parents was Christopher Sjønnesen and Lisbeth Johansdatter.
John was born March 4 1822, see #21
his parents were Hans Johnsen and Kari Andersdatter.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 06/05/2008 22:14:56
Go to Top of Page

Judy Foley
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  04:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, again. Lots for me to check out.

Questions for eibache: You listed #18, 25, 10, and 21. Where do I look for these?

What is "uaegte"? My Norwegian dictionary (Einar Haugen) doesn't show that.

Judy Foley
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  05:46:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uægte = born out of wedlock - when you click on #18, 25, 10, and 21 you get the actual page from the parish register, you can select size of the image and at the top of your monitor you will see the area and time for the register.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Hans Olav Aker
New on board

Norway
3 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  15:28:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
You don´t know me, but I am a member of Norway Heritage and discovered your try to find relatives in Norway a couple of years ago. At that time I was not a member and haven´t seen your request until now.
I am not a relative, but my wife is: Her name is Liv Benthe Aker, her father was Ole Kristoffersen Austad and her greatgrandfather was Kristoffer Olsen, and was a brother of Hans (your grandfather).
Probably you know trhat Hans had two brothers and one sister who emigrated to North America as well. (Julius, Ole and Josephine).
A lady in Minnesota, Margit Bakke, has helped me to find out some names, but still I don´t know much except that Julius lived in Duluth.
Please contact us if you are interested in this. We will be looking forward to know more about your family. As far as I know your mother´s name was Hulda. That is a very Norwegian name.
Give us some words.
Liv Benthe and Hans Olav Aker, Larvik, Norway.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article