All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 LOST: Birthe Olesen and Christian Andricksen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Gayle Bright
Starting member

New Zealand
9 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  23:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Birthe Olesen travelled on the Ruapehu to NZ in 1887 with her 5 children. Her husband Christian Andricksen was supposedly already in New Zealand, but I can find no record relating to his arrival. Birthe travelled under her single name. According to family legend, he did not meet their ship and was never found. I would be grateful for any hints on where to look. Is anyone researching the following families in New Zealand.
Olesen, Andricksen, Larsen, Vollheim.

Gayle

Edited by - Gayle Bright on 23/07/2008 22:35:08

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2008 :  01:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Birthe Olsdatter was from Sylling sub parish in Lier in Buskerud county north of Drammen town.

She and 5 children, Karen Johanne born 1871, Olava born 1872, Anette born 1875, Ole born 1877 and Kristian born 1881 emigratet in 1887, dest. "Ny.Seland" New Zealand on Feb. 10, #2-3-4-5-6-7
Birthe was a widow when she emigrated, that explain everything.

The name of the father was Andreas Christiansen, he and Birthe Olsdatter married Dec. 26. 1870 in Sylling church in Lier, Bachelor Andreas Christiansen Hĝrte eie age 21 1/4 and maid Birthe Olsdatter Svang, age 25 2/3 , his father was Christian Hansen and her father was Ole Knudsen, place of living for Andreas and Birthe: Hans Sylling (a farm in Sylling) 7 &8 line from bottom.

The date of the wedding (2. juledag- 2. Christmasday- Dec. 26. 1870) is from the birth record to the oldest daughter Karen Johanne born Mai. 11. 1871, #85

The records for Lier

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 30/03/2009 20:17:12
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2008 :  21:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Already in 1881 the family desided to emigrate from Syllingeie in Lier, on Feb. 2 "Vaaren -81" Spring -81 they were recorded in the church book for Queensland Australia, right page #1-2-3-4-5-6
What kept them? Mai. 9. same spring Kristen in the 1887 migration record was born on Syllingeie and christened Mai 26 #77

Birthe/Berthe Olsdatter was born March 15. and christened March 29. on Fuglerudeie in Sylling sub parish, Lier.
Parents were Ole Knutsen and Berte Johanne Borgersdatter Fuglerudeie (a sub farm under Fuglerud in Lier) #47

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2008 :  21:47:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fuglerud, bottom page has information about Berte and her family on Fuglerudenga, a sub farm under Fuglerud.....about 1860 Ole Knutsen Saga-Horn 1817-1885 married to Berte Johanne Borgersdatter born about 1820, she died 1865, settled down on the farm. Children: Berte (married to Andreas Christiansen Syllingeie), Knut, Johan, Hans, Andreas, ingeborb, Marie.
Ole settled down on Syllingeie within 1875.

Syllingeie was a sub farm under Vestre Sylling named Kyllerud (Andreas married as Andreas Christiansen Kyllerud in 1870), down page about 90%.
A summary:
......."det var vistnok pċ" it was on Kyllerud (Syllingeie) Andreas Christensen born 1849 on Runsevoll under Hĝrte (Hĝrteeie) settled down about 1871. Children: Karen Johanne, Olava, Anette, Ole, Kristen. In 1881 the family emigrated to Queensland Australia (wrong information).

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 25/07/2008 00:40:04
Go to Top of Page

Gayle Bright
Starting member

New Zealand
9 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2009 :  22:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many, many thanks Kaarto for your response to my enquiry.
I have only just found it while "Googling" Christian Andricksen, so my apologies for not getting back to you sooner!!

I wondered why Birthe travelled under her "maiden" name. Would she have done that because she was widowed? They were all schooled and married in N.Z. under the name of Andricksen.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  02:15:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Norway according to tradition a woman did not change her name when she married. So perhaps your "Birthe" was just staying with the tradition she knew her entire life.

http://www.norwayheritage.com/norwegian-names.htm
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/na12.html
http://www.nndata.no/home/jborgos/names.htm

Go to Top of Page

Gayle Bright
Starting member

New Zealand
9 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  03:59:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for that information. I didn't realise they didn't change their name. Her children all went under Andricksen in N.Z. and she was buried using the name Andricksen.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Peter Andricksen
New on board

New Zealand
2 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2009 :  23:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gayle and Kare
I am a decendant of Birthe Andricksen and can't thank you enough for posting this information. My siblings and I have tried to find more information but always hit a dead end. This is now more than we have ever known. From your experience how difficult would it now be to trace decendants in Norway?
Gayle are we possibly related somehow? I assume this is why you have been researching?
Peter

Peter
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2009 :  07:33:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to make certain names are correct, I bring up the baptismal record of Berte Olsdatters husband Andreas Christensen (not Christiansen), see #148 who was born Aug 29 1849 and baptized Sept 23 in Sylling church, his parents were Chresten (Christen) Hansen and Kari Christensdatter, Hĝrte Eie.
Berte Olsdatters baptismal record is #47 she was born March 15 1846 and baptized March 29 in Sylling church, her parents were Ole Knutsen and Berte Johanne Borgersdatter, Fuglerudeie. Ole and Berte Johanne were married Oct 12 1845, see #33
Oles father was Knut Iversen, Hornseie and Berte Johannes father was Borger Olsen i Eger (Eiker).
Ole Knutsen was born April 16 1817, see #35 he was baptized May 18 in Sylling church and his parents were Knut Iversen and Berte Hansdatter, Horns Eie.
Knut Iversen, nordre Dragseie and Birte Hansdatter, Brevig were married April 29 1803, see #15.
Knut (Knud) was born Dec 21 1776 and baptized Dec 25, see last record for 1776 on right hand
page
his parents were Iver Knudsen and Birte Olsdatter, Horn. In 1801 Iver and Birte were on Drag Nordre.
Birte Hansdatter was born Sept 19 1778 and baptized Sept 24, see #113 her parents were Hans Christensen and Mari Tostensdatter, Brevig.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 30/03/2009 23:08:50
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2009 :  08:39:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Berte Johanne Borgersdatter was born Sept 18 1820 and baptized Oct 15, see #107 her parents were Borger Olsen and Ingeborg Jonsdatter.
Borger Olsen, Hvidsten and Ingeborg Jonsdatter, Darbu were married Jan 12 1815, see #9
Borger, and his siblings, with their parents Ole Olsen and Marthe Borgersdatter in 1801
Borger was born November 30 1790, see #2 left hand page.
Ingeborg Jonsdatter is most likely born Oct 26 1791, see right hand page her parents being Jon Olsen Lunde and Birthe Cathrine Jĝrgensdatter.
Jon Olsen Lunde and Birthe Cathrine Jĝrgensdatter baptized a daughter Ingeborg in febr 1790 (must have died).
Ole Olsen and Marthe Borgerdatter, Wale were married May 11 1783, see last couple on left hand page

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 30/03/2009 15:00:39
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2009 :  19:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter, click on Gayle and send her a short message.
Let´s hope relatives in Norway find this forum, I have searched for family trees in varius spellings without any luck.

Meanwhile I can bring you Lier municipality, your folks came from Sylling sub parish in the south-eastern part of Lake Tyrifjorden, see map for Buskerud County abowe, and the church ceremonies was taken place in Sylling church build 1852.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 30/03/2009 20:01:06
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2009 :  23:17:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Berte Olsdatter had a brother Knut, born June 8 1848, see #70
and a brother Johan born Febr 4 1851, see #46
another brother, Erik was born July 3 1853, see #132
the brother Bernt was born Dec 18 1854, see #14
the brother Hans was born Sept 28 1856, see #168
the brother Andreas was born Aug 6 1858, see #158
the sister Ingeborg Marie was born May 31 1861, see #118
In 1865 only Andreas and Ingeborg were living with the father who was then a widower. The brothers were on relief at other farms.
Fuglerudenga
Birthe Johanne Borgersdatter had died of pneumonia April 16 1865, see #35

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 31/03/2009 06:39:03
Go to Top of Page

Peter Andricksen
New on board

New Zealand
2 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  02:00:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kċarto
contacted Gayle - she is my second cousin, and her daughter works for the same company here in Auckland!
Thanks for the info
Peter

quote:
Originally posted by Kċarto

Peter, click on Gayle and send her a short message.
Let´s hope relatives in Norway find this forum, I have searched for family trees in varius spellings without any luck.

Meanwhile I can bring you Lier municipality, your folks came from Sylling sub parish in the south-eastern part of Lake Tyrifjorden, see map for Buskerud County abowe, and the church ceremonies was taken place in Sylling church build 1852.

Kċre

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  14:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Peter,
I am happy for you, its a small world.
I have been reading and seen from pictures that coming to southern New Zealand for a Norwegian is like coming home.

From June to November we import a lot of Kiwifruit from N.Z, taste delicious.

Much of the fruit and vegetables in Norway comes from Lier, driving through Lier valley a vinter night, its almost lightened up by all the greenhouses, it looks beautiful.

Don´t be afraid to ask if you have some questions.

Have a wondeful Easter.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Gayle Bright
Starting member

New Zealand
9 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  03:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kare,
I have just found locally a reference to Birthe's arrival in NZ where it states Occupation or Calling - "To Husband." I also found the marriage announcement of my Grandmother Olava where it is stated she is the daughter of Christian Andricksen. This was in 1902. Both of these entries imply that the Father was still alive. The entry you found where it said Birthe was a widow- is it possible there had been a separation and that she said "widowed" to "save face"?

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  10:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That make more sence Gayle and correspond with the information you gave in the first posting.

There could be many reasons for that Christopher did not show up in NZ 1887, or because she emigrated as a widow. Letters could have dissapeared, questions from neighbors etc.
Berte Olsdatter seems to have been a strong and determined woman taking her children with her to the opposite part of the globe.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article