All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The ships
 Bergensfjord - 1928
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

desertviking
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2002 :  23:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When doing genealogy I find that one of my grandmother's uncles emmigrated from Melhus, Sor-Trondelag, to Canada. Since I have no idea where in Canada, I am wondering if anyone knows where Bergensfjord, of the Norwegian American line went to, after leaving Trondheim Januar 19, 1928. Grateful for any and all answers.
Kari

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2002 :  10:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Bergensfjord departed from Olso on January 19th called at Stavanger and Bergen on the 20th, then sailed to New York via Halifax, arrived at New York on February 1st. It is possible that your grandmother's uncles departed from Trondehim on the 19th on a coastal steamer to be in Bergen by the 20th and embark on the Bergensfjord there. I see in the Digitalarkivet a Brekaas family from Melhus (is that your fam.?) departing from Trondheim on the 17th, and that might indicate a train to Oslo to embark there. (their destination was Canada)

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

helgirl
Starting member

Norway
6 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2008 :  11:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertviking

When doing genealogy I find that one of my grandmother's uncles emmigrated from Melhus, Sor-Trondelag, to Canada. Since I have no idea where in Canada, I am wondering if anyone knows where Bergensfjord, of the Norwegian American line went to, after leaving Trondheim Januar 19, 1928. Grateful for any and all answers.
Kari

I have been checking this for you. On the passengerlist from Oslo on the "Bergensfjord", there is nobody coming from Sør-Trøndelag onboard. However, if they left Trondheim on January 17,1928, it is most likely that they left on the coastal steamer going to Bergen and then left on the "Bergensfjord" heading for Halifax, where the ship arrived on January 30, at 05:00 pm. Please give me some names on your relative/relatives, then it is much easier to try to find the person/persons.
Go to Top of Page

truls
New on board

Europe
1 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  15:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Trondheim was it quite commond to take Hurtigruten to Bergen, and get a ship from there. Hurtigruten is a boatline that on this time went from Kirkenes (Norwegian town near Murmansk) and the hole way down to Bergen. Hurtigruten exist today as well, but in this time was it many shiplines that had boats on this Hurtigruten, but most of them is today bankrupt or fushioned. At this time did the boats go around 3 boatarives a week in norhern, and southern routes. This boatline was not so mutch more expensive then the train, and also more flexible for carying big goods. The price for a ride down with hurtigruten was also cheaper. My grandfather was officer on Hurtigruten (Just changed from the line Finnmarske to Nordfjeldske) in 1928. About 2 years later did he go over to Norwegian American Line. I asked my mother today (she is born in 1925), and she told it was commond that Hurtigruten took the folks to Bergen, before they left with a boat to USA
Go to Top of Page

vivi

Norway
371 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  01:21:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

You might search for him here:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/immigration-1925/001012-100.01-e.php

Vivi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article