All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Kiwi Vikings & Aussies
 Karl Peter Severin Heidenstrom
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Barbara L
Starting member

New Zealand
26 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2009 :  07:39:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been trying to put together a family tree for a friend of mine,for her 70th birthday.
Her great grandparents were Karl Peter Severin Heidenstrom and Mina Carolina Ovidia Johanson,originally from Norway.

According to Karl’s death certificate in 1921,he was born in 1844 and had lived in New Zealand for 42 years,which suggests he arrived about 1879.His father’s name was Andreas,a band master;mother’s name not known.It doesn’t say where in Norway he was born.his date of birth varies on other certificates- he could have been born anywhere between 1839 and 1844.
He married Mina Johanson at the age of 36.She was 68 at the time of his death.They had seven daughters and finally ,a son.

I have not been able to find Karl or Mina on any passenger lists to NZ ,or in any other records.Karl was naturalized in 1893 and does not appear on electoral rolls before that date. Not knowing where to look next ,I had resigned myself to a “brick wall”

However,in the last week,I have managed to contact the Great Grandson of Karl and Mina (the grandson of their only son) and he has sent me a gedcom file which includes the Heidenstrom family and a rough tree chart.He doesn’t know who compiled them,it was not him or his father.

He also told me that Karl was Mina’s second husband and that she was a widow, and he a widower when they married.(according to the marriage cert) She was previously married to a man named Reinert Johansen,her maiden name given as Jahnsen.Mina was from Bergen,Norway and lived for a time at Norsewood, Hawkes Bay, before she married Reinert (also known as Reginald,who was really Reinert Gabrielson !!) in about 1876.

There is a family story that one of Mina’s husbands “jumped ship” which may explain why I can’t find them.But I can’t find Mina either on the Norsewood site and have tried all variations of name,surname and birthplace.Reinert was a mariner and Karl a sail maker,so it could have been either of them,who jumped ship.

Other than that,he knows as much as I do.

I thought perhaps I would be better looking for these people before they left Norway and
have tried to search the digital archives unsuccessfully – I don’t know where in Bergen Mina was from.A general search for Heidenstrom comes up with no hits, and I can’t work out how to see the census in English.

I should say that the gedcom file ,I was sent has a few notes ,but they are written in Norwegian ! It is possible that Karl was born in Fredrikstad and his father Andreas Peter,in Fredrikshald. I would like to be able to confirm this for my own satisfaction before adding these people to the tree.

Over the last week,I have read all the help files on Family Search and downloaded the English/ Norwegian word list in an effort to translate the notes Most of the family seem to have been musicians.

Please forgive me if there is too much information here – I am trying not to miss anything out.I am not expecting a look-up,but perhaps someone could tell me where I am going wrong?
Thankyou

Barbara

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2009 :  10:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1865 Norwegian census shows a Carl Severin Heidenstrøm living in Fredrikstad.
A Heidenstrøm family 1865
and a Carl Edvard Heidenstrøm born ca 1847 whose father, Christian, played the trumpet.
Another possibility

More helpful information for your study and use -
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/articles.html
http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2009 :  13:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl Peter Severin was born in Glemminge (Glemmen) at Fredrikstad town April 8. 1839 bapt. Oct. 27. 1839.
He was born out of wedloc to Andreas Peter Hedenstrøm from Fredrikstad and Margrete Johnsdatter from Nygaards Grund in Glemminge #56

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2009 :  13:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good find Kåre. Carl Peter Severins parents married July 5 1844, see #8
the father Andreas Peter Hedenstrøm was then discharged from service, he was 41 years old and his father was Peter Andreas Hedenstrøm. Inger Margrethe was 28 years old and her father was John Trulsen Gluppe.
Inger Margrethe was born June 20 1816, bapt at home June 22 and this was confirmed in church Sept 1, see #23
her parents were John Trulsen, Gluppe and Anne (should have been Maria) Andersdatter, Trara.
John Trulsen was 11 years in 1801 his parents were Truls Johnsen and Marthe Hansdatter.
Joen Trulsen and Maria Andersdatter were married Nov 8 1815, see

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 19/07/2009 15:10:22
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2009 :  14:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl Peter Severin slill lived on Nyggards grund when he was confimated Oct. 2. 1854 in Glemmen church from 1100.

I forgot his mothers complete name in my former posting, her name was Inger Margrete Johnsdatter, see confirmation record #29

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 19/07/2009 14:11:46
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2009 :  14:16:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl Peter Severin Hedenstrøm and Anne Karine Sørensdatter had a daughter Inger Margrethe, born Nov 19 1859 and baptized Dec 4, see #178
Karl Hedstrøm and Karine Sørensdatter had 3 children in 1865 they were married july 8 1859, see

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 19/07/2009 14:25:20
Go to Top of Page

Barbara L
Starting member

New Zealand
26 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  08:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my goodness!!
How can I thank you all.
I hadn't expected such a fast response & have only just seen all the postings
I can't wait to see everything & will certainly look at the links you have suggested, Hopkins.
Thanks so much - my friend will be thrilled,I know.I wouldn't have had a hope of finding all this on my own.
Go to Top of Page

Barbara L
Starting member

New Zealand
26 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  09:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like the people on the tree chart I have been given are Carl's family, Though it only mentions the male line from Andreas . Most of the other people were born in the USA or other countries.
At least I now know I have the correct family.
Can I ask: was there some kind of compulsory military service, since Andreas was discharged at age 41?
There are other musicians mentioned who appear to have military or naval titles.
The handwriting on the church records is beautiful ,but I would never have managed to find these people by myself,so I am really grateful.I think I can make out some of the witness names as well,so I'll be able to see if perhaps they emigrated to NZ.
Thanks again
Barbara
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  10:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a compulsary miltary service in Norway, Andreas Peter Hedenstrøm was a soldier in Fredrikstad when Carl Peter Severin was born, we can assume he served on Kongsten Fort

If you need help with the witnesss names or you want to go further back do come back here.
Hard to read the occupation of the witness.
The first two witness served in the army, a "KommandørSersjant" Ensign or Commissioned officer and a "Bøssemager"Gunsmith.

Some information from Glemmen and a link to Fredrikstad.

Happy 70th birthday to your friend.

Kåre

Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  12:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason I know Andreas Fredrik Hedenstrøm served in Fredrikstad can be found here in another baptism record for Carl Peter Severin, Andreas Peter profession is hard to understand, looks like "Brovegter" guardsman on the Bridge, not sure.

The baptism on the right side #26

In English it says:
Carl Peter Severin (out of wedloc) born April 18. and baptised in Glemminge church Oct. 27. 1839. Parents, the mother: Maid Inger Margrethe Johnsdatter on Nygaards Grund and bachelor the childs father ?? Andreas Peter Hedenstrøm in Fredrikstad.

Nyggard/Nygards Grund was owned by Jacob Apenes (1796-1886) and was located to the west side of Fredrikstad.
The house is demolished, only a street, Nygårdsgate, tells about the location.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  14:10:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a small correction Kåre, Carl Peter Severins "angiven barnefader: Trompeter" - stated father of the child trumpet blower -----

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 21/07/2009 14:16:30
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  15:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Einar,
I was uncertain about his miltary profession.
Now we can be 100% sure he served at Kongsten Fortress.

By the way, the 1844 wedding was taken place in Fredrikstad church build 1779 even it was recorded in Glemmen church book, see #8.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 21/07/2009 15:17:45
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  18:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may be interested in the baptismal records for Frithjof Severin (Fritjof S. in the 1865 census) born Oct 2 1862, see #20 and Karl Christian August (Karl K.A. in the 1865 census) born Dec 17 1864, see #242

Einar
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  20:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joen Trulsen was baptized Dec 12 1890, see #1 his parents Truls Joensen and Marthe Hansdatter, Gluppe.
Maria Andersdatter (also named Anne Andersdatter - ref Inger Margrethes baptism) was baptized Anne Maria March 6 1896, see #11 her parents were Anders Asbiørnsen and Maria Michelsdatter Røed fra Kragerø.
Anne Maria and her parents and siblings in 1801
Also in the baptismal record for Anne Marias brother Asbiørn, see #5 right page the parents are Anders Asbiørnsen and Maria Michelsdatter Røed paa Kragerø.
This is also the case in the baptismal record for Engeborg Serina (Ingeborg Søverna), see #4 on left page
Anders Asbjørnsen, Rød and Maria Michelsdatter, Raae were married in Tune Nov 3 1794, see next to the last record in right column on left page
Maria Michelsdatter was baptized July 19 1772, see last record in right column on left page her parents were Michel Jensen and Siri Syversdatter, Raae.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 21/07/2009 22:04:22
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  20:23:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joen Trulsens parents were married Nov 29 1789, see #10 Truls Joensen came from Gluppe and Martha Hansdatter from Ambiørnrud.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Barbara L
Starting member

New Zealand
26 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  13:31:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again,thankyou.
I saw that I had more news this morning,but this is the first time I've had a chance to see the new information.It is really exciting to be doing something completely different - although you are doing all the work !
I am thinking now that if Karl did have a wife and children,what happened to them? As he claimed to be a widower on his death cert (which I hope is true),but did the children survive & did they come with him to NZ. Certainly there is no mention of them.The living children and their ages on his death cert only account for the ones born here.

I also searched the census for Mina and found nobody with her full name.Her age is consistent on the marriage certs, so she was born in 1853.I will have to get her death certificate to discover who her parents were,which I will do as soon as funds permit. Mina C was the closest I could find to her name.No luck with Reinert Johanson/Gabrielson either.
I must have another look at the passenger lists for some of these new surnames
I will now go and look at the treasure you have sent me today
Many thanks
Barbara
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article