All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The ships
 Searching for Cornelius Hill's roots.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  18:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter,
I checked on Ancestry on the Kornelius Gabrielson who you mentioned. Very tiny print and not much information. It is even hard to read the names below and above Kornelius. These are a couple of the names I could read: Looks like Anders Helgeson, Halvor Hansen and Lauritz F? Mabye someone else could read more, but I could not make out much.
I have been trying a different route just in case something comes up. I have been trying to track Cornelius Hill's wife's family. A little difficult without another family member's names. Found one possibility in the 1880 Census in Florence, Benton, Iowa. I thought maybe if I tracked this family Cornelius might be close by. I know... a long shot. Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  23:55:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No birth- or emigration record on Cornelius Hill, sorry.
Perhaps he did as many others, emigrated via Gothenburg Sweden?

It was a large emigration with family name Hill from Sjernarøy parish, Rogaland county south-west Norway started alredy in the 1850ts, dep port was Stavanger town.

In 1900 15 persons with last name Hill lived in Sarpsborg town,Øsfold County, south-east Norway.
5 emigrants named Hill, dep. port Oslo 1889 and-90 from Røyken municipality Buskerud County (almost next to Østfold County).
I discovered two records in the church books from Østfold from about 1870 where the name was spelled Hild.

The Hilton emigrants from Akershus mentioned above kept the farm name in USA and founded Hilton Hotels.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 26/08/2009 00:18:21
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  15:02:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kathy,
Lauritz F must be Hans Lauritz Jensen Fitje (18) from Fitje (Fitjar, Hordaland). He left Bergen on May 1st, 1889.
The other guy from Fitje leaving that date, Lars Ellingsen Tidslevold ("Lars E Redseodd") are also listed as arrived on the same date.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Dave Eide
Starting member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  19:45:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello:
A new development. A family member came across an obituary of a Marvin Hill of Veblen, South Dakota in a box of family records. I looked him up and found out that he was born in 1896 in S.D. to a John D. and Caroline Hill. John D Hill born Sept. 26, 1873 in Norway came to the states in 1890. Caroline was born Dec. 28, 1871 in Norway. and she came to the states in 1889. There was no mention in the obituary that Cornelius and Marvin were related, these Hills could have just been family friends but I am hoping that they were related. Thanks again for all the help. Dave
Go to Top of Page

Dave Eide
Starting member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  21:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well this explains a bunch.
John Daniel Hill, or Dan Hill, as he was often called, wa s born Sep-tember 30, 1873, at Stavanger, Norway, to Gabrie l Gabrielson Hill and Martha Farland Hill. In January, 1890 , he immigrated to Amer-ica with his brother Cornelius, an d his sister, Serena, (Mrs. Osmund Nelson). They lived in I owa for several months, and then came to near Langford, Sou th Dakota, to the little village of Spain. It was there tha t Dan met Carolina Langager who was to become his wife in 1 894. Carolina Jacobina Langager was born in Egersund, Norwa y, December 1, 1871 to Nels and Maria Langager. She was th e third of twelve children and was 16 years old when she ac companied her brother, John to America to live with him an d their brother Tollus near Spain.
Dan and Carolina lived on a farm near Spain. In 1895, Gabri el, or Guy, as he was called, was born. Marvin joined the f amily January 15, 1896, and Norman was born September 3, 18 97. About this time land became available to the east on th e Indian reservation so Dan and his brother-in-law, John La ngager crossed over the hills to Veblen, in the northeast c orner of Marshall County. They found land to their liking a nd both families moved there in 1899. Uncle John and his wi fe Jo-hanna Langager settled one mile east and a half mil e north of Veblen, and Dan and Carolina chose land three mi les north and one and a half miles east of Veblen. Their fa mily grew. Jennie was born March 4, 1900; Cora was born Jan uary 7, 1904; Dannie was born January 2, 1906; and Cliffor d was born May 12, 1908.
Dan and Carolina made a trip to Norway in 1911 to visit he r mother, brothers and sisters, some of whom were born afte r she left Norway. In March of 1912 she became ill with pne umonia and died two days later, at the age of 41 years, lea ving Dan with seven children between the ages of four and s ixteen years.
Guy, the eldest son, became a farmer. In 1917 he married An na Louise Hanson. A son, Durwin, was born in 1918, who wa s to live only nine months. In the fall of 1920, Guy becam e ill and moved to Custer for treatment. He died that Decem ber at the age of 25 years.
Marvin, the second son, also became a farmer and farmed acr oss the road from his father. He enlisted in the army in Wo rld War I and spent some time in France. He married Louis e Tjostem May 4, 1920. Their five children, John, Carolyn , Margery, Ruth and Roger were all born in the house buil t for Marvin and Louise in 1920. Marvin and Louise celebrat ed their 57th wedding anniversary in 1977. She died in Octo ber 1977 at the age of 80 years.
Norman, the third son, was also a farmer. His farm is locat ed one mile east and one and a half miles north of Veblen . Norman married Gerda Mortenson September 3, 1921 at Aberd een, South Dakota. Six children were born to them; Donald , who lost his life in World War 2, Gerald, who died in 195 9; and Richard, Beverly, Rodney and Nor-dene. Norman and Ge rda celebrated their 52nd wedding anniversary before her de ath in January, 1974. Norman now lives in Veblen. His son R odney has his farm.
Jennie, the eldest daughter, married William Borgen in 1925 . Bill was a farmer whose farm was west of Veblen. Their fo ur children are; Dale, Alan, Jean and Lyle. Bill died in Fe bruary, 1974 and Jennie moved to Billings, Montana to mak e her home.
Cora, the second daughter and fifth child, married Martin L oraas of the Lidgerwood area in September, 1923. They move d to Velva, North Dakota where they made their home on a fa rm. They have two sons, James and Alden. Martin died in 196 5. Cora still lives in Velva.
Dannie, the fourth son, became a farmer too. He married Bir dell Halverson in 1931. They have three children, Coleen, W illard and Mary Lou. Dannie and his wife live on the farm t hat was home-steaded by J.D. Hill and his wife in 1899.
The fifth son, Clifford, was married to Lila Oland in 1929 . They farmed near Lidgerwood, North Dakota. They have fou r children, Ju-dith, Curtis, Ann and Patty. Clifford develo ped a brain tumor and died February 27, 1957 at the age o f 49. His daughter Judy and her family live on Clifford's f arm. Lila moved to Fargo shortly after his death, and stil l lives there.
Dan married Ovedia Mortenson in 1926. A son, David, born t o them in July, 1928, lived about nine years. He died in 19 37 of compli-cations that had begun with the whooping cough . Dan Hill spent about 73 of his 90 years in Marshall Count y. He was a member of Pal-estine Lutheran Church. His child ren and some of his grandchildren attended the little Pleas ant Prairie school house that was located one mile north o f his place, right across the section. He spent some year s as a Marshall County Commissioner.
In 1942, Dan and Ovedia decided to retire from the farm an d move to Lidgerwood, but soon found that the city life wa s not for them. They bought a small farm about a mile eas t of the home place, and this was his home until he died i n 1963, just a month short of 90 years. Ovedia moved to Veb len after he died and that was her home until her death.
All deceased members of the family are buried in the cemete ry at Palestine Lutheran church, four miles north and one a nd a half miles east of Veblen. By Carolyn Hill Borgen

Go to Top of Page

Dave Eide
Starting member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  21:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to put in the address, sorry. The information above was found at:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=marshallcounty&id=I14856

Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  03:30:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI Dave,
So glad you found information you were looking for. Last night I was checking the WW1 Draft Registrations and came upon a Claude Hill, age 26 born Nov. ?, 1890. Listed as living in Webster, South Dakota. Dated and signed June 5, 1917. Caught my attention as Webster South Dakota was mentioned in information sent from write up. If I remember correctly there is also a John Hill in the WW1 Draft. Glad again you found the information. Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Dave Eide
Starting member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  04:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Kathy;
Found Cornelius Hill's brother, sister and parents but now I need to figure out how to go on from there, totally lost in the Norwegian records, have enough trouble on Ancestry. I rely on others in my family to read the help given on this forum and make sense of it, glad they know what they are doing. Thanks again for all your help, I hope you aren't too battle weary? There might be more fights coming up and I can use all the help I can get. Dave
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  05:26:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI Dave,
It's sometimes easier to search them over in Norway. I cannot read much Norwegian but have found my ancestors records in the Digital records from Norway. The one thing you have going for you is you now know where they were from and a name like Cornelius is way easier to find than the many Ole's I have in my family. It is so neat to see actual scanned parish records that once you start you will just keep searching. Many people that are familiar with the areas in Norway here will point you in the right direction, then just search. Good luck! Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  09:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have brought up so much information on Cornelius and his parents and siblinge Dave.
Still his birth record is a mystery, the Roots Web information didn´t cleare up either.
The birth records on Serena and John Daniel seems also to be well hidden.

The emigration records for Stavanger 1825-1970 has 35 persons with last name Hill, none of them correspond.
Could be they emigrated with surname Gabrielsen.
Stavanger district is a large area with so many municipalities and parish´s.

Did you find the 1890 emigration on the three Hill siblings in a Norwegian emigration record?

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  11:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One Gabriel Kornelius was born Febr 18 1870, see #33 the parents were Gabriel Gabrielsen (22) and Marte Iversdatter (27), Meling.
One Daniel Johan was born Sept 30 1873, see #151 the parents were Gabriel Gabrielsen (25) and Jørgine Knudsdatter (25), Meling.
Gabriel Gabrielsen in 1865 he could be the father of either Kornelius or Daniel.
Jørgine Knudsdatter in 1865
Martha Iversdatter in 1865

I have so far not been able to get the proofs for these persons to be the right ones or to find where the problems are.

The marriage record for Gabriel Gabrielsen and Jørgine Knudsdatter is #14 Note that Jørgines father is Knud Forland (or Førland as used in the 1865 census) (not Farland!) from Vikedal.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 29/08/2009 23:07:45
Go to Top of Page

hasto

Norway
294 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  21:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The father Gabriel Johannesen was born 7 March 1811 on Hidle island, Strand parish, by parents Johannes Gabrielsen and Helene Larsdatter Hille Strand churchbook

Harald S Storaker
4586 Korshamn, Norge
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  22:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daniel Johans sister Serine was born April 1 1867 (she should have been noted as an "uægte" child since parents married after she was born), see #70
Rosamunde born Oct 3 1877 is another sister of Daniel Johan, see #65
A brother Gustav Johan was born Febr 27 1880, see #22
Have not found any siblings for Kornelius, at best he could be a half brother to Daniel.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 28/08/2009 23:17:54
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  07:57:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gabriel Gabrielsen was born Febr 5 1848, see #60 his parents Gabriel Johannesen, Meling and Siri Torstensdatter.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  11:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Haralds finding in Strand and farm Hille on Hidle Island in Strand parish.

The island Gabriel Johannesen was from was Sør-Hidle (Southern-Hidle).
Another island, Nord-Hidle, is located about 8 miles furter north to Stjernarøy in Finnøy parish where so many Hill emigrated from.

Various spellings of the farm-name from 1381:
Hile, Hiddle, Nedrahvs Jlle (Sør Hille), Helle, Hilde, Hille, Nedre Hilde (Lower Hilde).

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 29/08/2009 12:01:01
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article