All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The ships
 Searching for Cornelius Hill's roots.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  23:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only "Knud Farlan/Forland/Førland I have found in Vikedal 1865 census is Knud Jensen at Haugene under Førland.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Dave Eide
Starting member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  17:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Claude Hill has been found - -

Sander Klaudius was born 1 November 1890 to Gabriel Gabrielsen and Jørgine Knudsd. at Meling

See: <http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070102370533.jpg>

On May 27, 1910 Claud-19 lived in La Belle, Marshall, South Dakota with his widowed mother Martha-66. Martha was the mother of six children, four were then living. They emigrated from Norway 1901.

On June 5, 1917 Claude Hill, 26, Veblen, South Dakota, a naturalized citizen born November 1, 1890 in Norway registered for WW1.

Who is Martha ?

She is named mother to three of Jørgine's children in the US Census as follows:

On May 27, 1910 Martha-66, a widow, lived in La Belle, Marshall, South Dakota with her unmarried son Claud-19. Martha was the mother of six children only four were living.

On January 16, 1920 Martha Hill-76 lived with her daughter Sarah-52 and son-in-law Osmund Nelson-54, in Veblen, Marshall, South Dakota. She emigrated from Norway in 1900 and was naturalized in 1902.

In 1930 Martha-90 lived with her son John in Veblen, Marshall, South Dakota. She indicted she emigrated from Norway in 1900.

The RootsWeb poster names her Martha Farland.

Could she be Jørgine's younger sister ?
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  19:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is what we have:
Gabriel Gabrielsen Meling and Jørgine (Gyrid) Knudsdatter were married June 17 1867.
They baptized Serine on June 23, she was born April 1 1867 and was actually an “uægte” child.
Their other children were:
Daniel Johan born Sept 30 1873
Rosamunde born Oct 3 1877,
Gustav Johan born Febr 27 1880
Sander Klaudius born Nov 1 1890

Gabriel Gabrielsen Meeling and Martha Iversdatter had a son
Gabriel Kornelius born Febr 18 1870.

In 1865 Gabriel Gabrielsen and Jørgine Knudsdatter were at a Meling farm.

Martha Iversdatter was at Hetland.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 13/12/2010 10:38:07
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  22:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The RootsWeb poster names her Martha Farland.
Could she be Jørgine's younger sister ?

Jørgines father was Knud Førland, in the 1865 census Knud Jensen is on Haugene under Førland - most likely Jørgines father. In the same census Martha Knudsdatter is 10 years old. If she emigrated in 1900 she would have been 44 years.
Knud Jensen (27) and Ragnilda Taraldsdatter (30) were married July 20 1844, see #4
Gyrid Knudsdatter were born Dec 28 1844, see first record in 1845 (could have been a little heavier ink!)

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 13/12/2010 10:39:15
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  19:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Are there two Gabriel Gabrielson Meling or is there one ?

Since there appears to be two wives concurrently, perhaps the family was LDS?

Just a thought....

Jackie
Go to Top of Page

CraigHill
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2009 :  15:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for interruption, stumbled upon this. Cornelius Is my Great Grandfather. I live in Webster, SD now but originally from Minot, ND. What were you searching for? Family homestead in Norway? My dad lived with Cornelius and Gram while he was going to school in Minot, So he may know some information.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Dave Eide
Starting member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2009 :  05:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Craig: I started this search for a Bunnie Jacobson, whose mother was Doreen Peterson, whose mother was Annie Hill, whose father was Cornelius Hill. Bunnie was interested in her Norwegian roots on her mother's side of the family. With the help of this forum we have found both her mother's heritage and also her father's Norwegian roots. Bunnie is living in Fargo. North Dakota and is called by her family. "The family historian". Perhaps you and her can compare notes? I have her contact information if you are interested. Best wishes. Dave
Go to Top of Page

ken likness
New on board

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  13:55:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings, I just stumbled onto this site. As per my user name I am a Liknes. My family came first to the US in the Dakotas and then moved to Canada. They came from Liknes Bnr 3 Karmoy Island Norway and include the Hemnes family as well.

I suggest contacting the geneological society on Karmoy (Skeletforum of something similar in title) the only email i have is for one of its members, hopefully it still works.
johannes.h@skudeneshavn.com

When the inhabitants of liknes (farm) moved state side many of them took the farm name as a last name instead of using the name of their father+son as last names were non existant in Norway until 1948 or 1949. They collectivelly became known as the Liknes' (ie from Liknes). Many of the men did actually return to Norway and then back to the US so that may explain why there are two differing arrival dates. Some of my family later came in to Canada thru Halifax as late as 1929.

klikness
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  14:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ken likness

I suggest contacting the geneological society on Karmøy.
http://www.slektsforumkarmoy.no/english/index.html

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

nanhill
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2010 :  04:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I realize this thread is old (one of my brothers just found it online and forwarded it to me). I want to thank everyone who contributed to the information in the 4 pages of entries on this topic. We were pretty surprised. Our great-grandfather was JD Hill, son of Gabriel and Marthe Hill, brother to Serena, Cornelius, Rose, Gustav and Claud. It has been a real mystery to our family what farms Gabriel or Marthe originated from and why his surname was Hill. Marthe came from Hetland Parish in Stavanger but the church lost its records in a fire, I think. I went to Norway in 2003 hoping to trace her while I was there but had no luck. You can imagine how shocked I was to be sent the link to this thread and read the many entries of information about my family plus speculations about Gabriel's origins which certainly give us a whole lot more to go on than we had before. The internet is truly amazing!
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2010 :  08:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Marthe came from Hetland Parish in Stavanger but the church lost its records in a fire, I think.
- some info might give a possibility to help.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

nanhill
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  04:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is what we had for info (spellings were Americanized):
"Martha Hill, born Dec. 28, 1840 in Stavanger area of Norway; her parents were Knut and Ragne Knutson. She was a member of Hetland Parish. Married August 1864 to Gabriel Gabrielson Hill, who died in 1895. Martha died January 15, 1937 at 96 years of age (we have a copy of her obituary in the newspaper).
Their children were: Serena (Mrs. Osmund Nelson) born April 3, 1866; Cornelius, born Feb. 8, 1870; John Daniel (our great-grandfather) born Sept. 30, 1873; Rose (unknown birth date, died 1894); Gustav (unknown birthdate, died 1896); Claud, born Nov. 1, 1890. Serena, Cornelius and John Daniel left Stavanger January 10, 1890 and arrived New York Jan. 26, 1890. Martha and Claud came to the US in 1900."
The records are inaccurate probably on several counts. Probably Gabriel and Marthe were not married in 1864 as our family records state -- if Serena's was an uætge birth, they likely chose to hide that here in the US and altered their date of marriage after the fact. Not sure what to make of Jørgine vs. Marthe as wives of Gabriel or mothers of these same children because no one here ever mentioned a Jørgine -- here, Martha was considered the (biological) mother of all six of the children with Gabriel. Is it possible that Marthe and Jørgine were the same person? Maybe she used both names, at different times? Maybe Jørgine was her first name and Marthe the name everyone called her by? I doubt that a completely different person, Martha Iversdatter, was mother to Cornelius, while a Jørgine was the mother to the others -- I suspect this is just confusion caused by some inaccuracies in the records? Our family records state that Martha's father was Knud (note: Martha Hill was app. 60 years old when she came to the US).
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  08:57:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Martha Hill, born Dec. 28, 1840 in Stavanger area of Norway; her parents were Knut and Ragne Knutson
- I believe that Martha changed her given name twice, she was baptized Georgine Gyrid, see #1 in 1845 - her parents being Knud Jensen and Ragnilda Taraldsdatter.
When she married Gabriel Gabrielsen, see #14 she used Jørgine and that name was used in the bapt record for their children.
In US she must have changed her name to Martha, this can be confirmed by the childrens names and birth dates as follows:
Serine born April 1 1867, baptized June 23 - in US Serena (Mrs. Osmund Nelson) born April 3, 1866
Gabriel Kornelius born Febr 18 1870 - in US Cornelius, born Feb. 8, 1870
Daniel Johan born Sept 30 1873 - in US John Daniel (our great-grandfather) born Sept. 30, 1873
Rosamunde born Oct 3 1877 - in US Rose (unknown birth date, died 1894)
Gustav Johan born Febr 27 1880 - in US Gustav (unknown birthdate, died 1896)
Sander Klaudius born Nov 1 1890 - in US Claud, born Nov. 1, 1890.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 13/12/2010 16:13:37
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  09:06:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ragnilda (Ragnille) Tharaldsdatter was bapt March 13 1813, see #4 in far right column.
Her parents were Tharald Tharaldsen and Martha Johannesdatter, Ørenæs.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

nanhill
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  13:01:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for finding this. I wonder how you can read the writing? I think I can make it out but it's so very faint I can't be sure. (Funny how this woman seems to elude us!)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article