All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MISCELLANEOUS
 General misc...
 Norwegian Film
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  17:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Friends, my wife and I just saw a really good Norwegian film last evening, "Hawaii, Oslo". It was very well acted and a very interesting film. A much appreciated diversion from alot of the trash Hollywood spews out.

Thank you Norway!

Christie Nickels
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  18:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info.! Am always on the lookout for a good movie. Will see if Netflix carries it.

Christie Nickels
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  19:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christie Nickels

Thanks for the info.! Am always on the lookout for a good movie. Will see if Netflix carries it.

=---------------------------=

yes, Netflix has it "on demand". I hope you enjoy it. the movie really makes you think. I would be interested to hear your thoughts after you view it.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2010 :  17:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
o.k. we are defianantly on a Norwegian film kick. We saw another very good film last night by the same director, Erik Poppe. The name of the film was "Troubled Water" I don't know the name in Norwegian. Very well acted and very good story line.

If these films are any indication of the quality of films Norway is putting out then I am impressed.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2010 :  18:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting!
Those two movies are actually on the Top 10 list from different reviews/magazines etc, for the 10 Best Norwegian Movies from the last decade (2000-2009):

1. Kitchen Stories
Salmer fra kjøkkenet (2003)

2. Reprise (2006)

3. The Bothersome Man
Den brysomme mannen (2006)

4. Kissed by Winter
Vinterkyss (2005)

5. Troubled Water
De Usynlige (2008)

6. Upperdog (2009)

7. Cool and Crazy
Heftig og Begeistret (2001)

8. Hawaii, Oslo (2004)

9. Free Jimmy
Slipp Jimmy fri (2006)

10. Sons
Sønner (2006)

---

Another movie which have received great reviews since it came out is "Max Manus" (2008), a true story about one of the most famous Norwegian saboteurs during World War II.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 22/08/2012 17:48:21
Go to Top of Page

kpeterson

Italy
62 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  12:36:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello fellow listers,
I see on the list of recommended movies the film "Max Manus" -- I ordered this film through Amazon in May and was not disappointed!

The great cinematography was subtle and so important to the film that you do not realize how much it affects the viewer until after the film is done. The acting by the supporting cast, particularly by Ken Dukin as the morally corrupt Fehmer are outstanding. My only criticism is that it could have been a bit edgier in parts but overall I found it an excellent movie.

The real star is Aksel Hennie, who "becomes" Max before our eyes, his nuanced expressions changing from a young man whose altruistically inspired and idealistic service for his country changes bit by bit until at the end we see his haunted face expressing all his incalculable loss and the memories he must deal with for the rest of his life. How do people go back to being normal after war? The answer is that they don't, although they try.

I give this film a very strong recommendation and hope that other members of the forum can see it.

(Erik: I am taking your suggestion of Hawaii, Oslo and putting it next on my list!)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  18:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, thanks for the tip. We will rent it also!

FYI, we just saw last evening the "The Troublesome Man". This movie was incredibly interesting. It was a very somber, depressing movie and there were some points in the movie where I was literally at the edge of my seat.

I.E. the part where they are drilling through the wall for me was very intense. I kept asking my wife, "what is on the other side, I wonder?"

This is movie you need to watch and let it percolate a couple of days in your mind until you reach a conclusion what it was all about. It is a very intellectual film, in my opinion.

These poor people in the film could be in purgatory, heaven or even hell.......it's hard to say.

It's incredible the quality of films Norway is putting out.

Go to Top of Page

kpeterson

Italy
62 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  23:38:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I completely agree that Norway is putting out high quality films these days. I think that the fact that they are not as well known around the world as US films is that people seem to gravitate towards what my son describes as McMovies: you rapidly consume them and then do not think much about them afterwards. And Hollywood has done a great job of convincing us that that is what we should be watching. So, I look forward to The Troublesome Man and other Norwegian films!

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  01:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erik; while you are on this "Norwegian film kick"; another movie worth mentioned would be Elling.

The movie was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 2002, but didn't receive the Oscar.
Its a feel good movie and follows the lives of two friends Elling and Kjell Bjarne as they try to adjust to a normal life after having spent two years together in a mental institution as roomies.

Quotes from the movie:
Elling is about to order two train tickets to Oslo.
Train ticket salesman: Yes?
Elling: Yes!
Train ticket salesman: You're going to?
Elling: Yes, we! Kjell Bjarne and I are going to Oslo of course.
Train ticket salesman: One way?
Elling: There are more ways?
Train ticket salesman: That'll be 130 kroner per ticket.
Elling: 130 kroner? The last time mother and I took the train to Larvik the ticket cost 25.
Train ticket salesman: That must have been about 30 years ago.
Elling: Yes

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

kpeterson

Italy
62 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  13:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter -- I am still laughing about this dialogue!! I read more about it and it is definitely going on my "to see" list!
Thank you for the suggestion
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  18:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yes, it's a warm-hearted funny movie.
The story will be put up on Broadway (New York) this Autumn, with Denis O'Hara and Brendan Fraser in leading roles. The book which the movie was based on, is written by Ingvar Ambjørnsen, a well-known Norwegian writer.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  17:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi J.P.

We saw Elling and loved it! Thanks for the recommendation. We can totally see this as a broadway play and Brendan Fraser would not doubt be Kjell Bjarne! What a riot!

I really liked the actor in the movie who played the old poet, intelligencia guy (Per Christiansen).

I think the movie was better understood by NOrwegians, however, as I sensed there was alot of cultural inside jokes.....but I believe the movie was a possible satire against the all encompassing, all helpful Norwegian Labor governement? It showed that people could help themselves without constant assistance? Or am I reading too much into the movie?

At any rate, it was entertaining, without looking too deeply into it.

thanks again!!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  17:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To all:

Here is an idea and was wondering if anybody else might have an interest.

What about picking a movie, watching it and then meeting some time to discuss it on line?

A film club or maybe a book club? , maybe a Knut Hamsun novel or perhaps a contemporary Norwegian author you could introduce to us?
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  16:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be interesting! I'm game.

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  18:37:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great! I wonder if this would deviate from this Forum's focus? I think we would need to have the blessings of the moderators and some direction from them? Would Norway-Heritage agree to such an activity? If so, would any of the moderators care to give us some direction?

thank you,
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

Norway
527 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  20:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think it will harm the forum, but we should probably create a new forum category for this. It might be labeled "Contemporary Norwegian Culture" or something like that. I'll be listening to any suggestions. I'll probably need someone to voluntere for to do the main moderating of the new category.

Borge

Webmaster..
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article