All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MISCELLANEOUS
 General misc...
 Norwegian Film
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  22:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Borge,
I think that would be a great label for the forum. That could also encompass questions that people have about Norway today, so they don't get asked in the genealogy forums.

:-)

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  15:02:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It could have been a good idea, a forum with general discussions, film, recipes, travel in Norway, history, everyday events, fun events such as two veterans on a bench.

My wife said "What are you doing today"
I said "Nothing"
She said "You did that yesterday"
I said "I wasn´t finished"

Max Manus trailer.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  16:40:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband and I watched "Troubled Waters" last night and thought it was very good. Very gripping and it really makes you think. You really need to follow it closely, because the story unfolds from two perspectives. I'd recommend it!

Kċre, that's what I was thinking! It could be a very helpful forum.

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  05:32:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, a Norwegian Cultural section would be very interesting. I have read every Knut Hamsun novel published in English. Rolvaag is very good as well. What about current Norwegian authors? We are seeing contemporary films! What about Norwegian music? Ah-ha to Edvard Grieg.

And recipes! Another great idea. We Norwegians here in the 'new' country are eating like Norwegians in the 1800's. We are stuck in time and have not advanced. My Grandma always used to say ishta and our daughter says uffda even today going to college!

Politics and religion offlimits? Only Lutheran jokes allowed! LOL!!
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  06:14:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We watched "Elling" this evening and it was very good! I would definitely enjoy seeing the play. It's humorous and moving, all at once. Funny moments, but not a comedy. It was great to watch the characters evolve.

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

kpeterson

Italy
62 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  19:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I, too, would love to see a Norwegian cultural section!

If you are giving this idea serious thought, could you add a book discussion section? There are a lot of great books worthy of discussion and promotion; last year I suggested what I feel is an outstanding book, "Out Stealing Horses" by Per Pettersen, to a book discussion group in Wisconsin. They loved it! I have read quite a few books by Norwegian authors both past and present and hope that a book discussion area can perhaps inspire others to read the wealth of good books that Norway provides.

Two teaser reviews that may have other people looking for the Pettersen book:
http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1686204_1686244_1691856,00.html
The following is an excellent review of the book, but has "spoilers" concerning the plot and the end! http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/24/books/review/McGuane.html
Go to Top of Page

justinkemp
New on board

Iceland
2 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  08:19:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Opening on May 16th is the debut of filmmaker Joachim Trier and his movie is called “Reprise.” While you probably 'Reprise' posterhaven’t heard of the film yet as it was made in Norway, the reason you might be interested is “Reprise” is currently good rated 100% on Internet web sites. Add to that, producer Scott Rudin added his name to the film to help the movie get noticed. That isn’t something he usually does.Now I want to Watch High School Online here i watch the trailer becoz i wait for it's releasing to watch full movie.................................
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  11:24:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trolls are an important part in the Norwegian folk tales.

In the old days children were scared with Trolls if they did not behave well.
Seems like they have returned, see Trolljegeren, the Troll hunter

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 18/12/2010 11:26:12
Go to Top of Page

Ray Syverson

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  15:58:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that Kari has brought up the movie "Trolljegeren", there was a silent film from 1927 called "Troll-Elgin" I would love to see since some of the characters are named after some of my ancestors from Valdres. Does anybody know how I could access something like this? Ray
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2010 :  16:54:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Troll-elgen, Troll-moose (Magic moose) by Mikkjel Fĝnhus from Valdres.

I think the movie is on DVD (not found), cast overview of the characters here

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 18/12/2010 16:57:48
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2010 :  14:02:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A curiosity;

Museum Director Katherine Wright in collaboration with CIA broke a 147 years old code from the American Civil War written July 4. 1863 to General John Pemberton in the Confederate Army defending the city of Vicksburg, Mississippi, captured by the Union Army the same day.
The message was, see here;

You can not expect help from this side of the river.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  04:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kay and fellow posters!

Just saw Max Manus last night. They have it on Netflix-streaming! It was really good. I enjoyed it.

Thank you Norway!!!
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2011 :  00:53:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reminder, Erik! I have Max Manus in my Instant View list on Netflix. I'll watch it this weekend. I really liked Elling. I still need to watch Hawaii, Oslo.
I recently watched a movie about Norwegian immigrants in Minnesota and one is going to marry a Germany immigrant, who had been living in Norway, but it was right after WWI and people didn't like Germans very much. Very good movie and it's on Netflix Instant View. Sweetland. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0428038/

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2011 :  16:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi! Yes, I saw Sweetland a few years ago and then watched it again it was so good. Anybody who has posted in here can connect what we are doing with this movie. It was a very, very good movie!
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  03:52:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watched Max Manus last night and for anyone that enjoys learning more about WWII, this is the movie for you. We really enjoyed it!

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article