All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MISCELLANEOUS
 General misc...
 Norwegian Film
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  09:36:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you seen 'Hamsun"? I saw this movie as well and it was really good,
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 :  17:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I haven't, but it looks interesting! :-) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116480/plotsummary

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  00:39:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This isn't for Norwegian films, but I read this today about an archaeological find of a Viking burial site in Scotland. Thought you might be interested.
http://news.yahoo.com/archaeologists-viking-burial-scotland-094731015.html

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  10:34:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is interesting Wanda.

It´s the firts boat grave found in Scotland. The Vikings used boats as coffins.
It was Norse settlements on the east coast of Scotland, this tomb is on a peninsula on the west-coast.
In 794 AC on Lona, an island just off the same peninsula, it´s mentioned in written sources of the first Viking attack in Scotland.
The man in the tomb was probably a chief or a highly respected warrior since the sword has engravings.
One of many questions is whether he lived in Scotland and if the boat is of the same type as those that were build in Norway.
A curiosity; In an old Icelandic source it was warned not to visit Scotland because of the many wild tribes and the terrible weather.
Olav Trygvason, before he was king of Norway, was on an expedition to Scotland ab. 995.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 20/10/2011 10:35:07
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  15:53:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was shown on BBC news last night - maybe it is still available to view on BBC blog
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  16:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting! Kċre, you know how interested I am in Viking finds. Hopefully, they can date the pieces. I'm also interested to find out more about the archaeological dig that is going on in Gausdal, Oppland, Norway, on the farm that I'm descended from. Maybe there were Vikings in my family?

David, thanks for the info on the BBC. I will look for it. :-)

Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  17:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a video about the discovery. It looks like it is probably 10th century, Kċre. Coincidence?
http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2011/10/19/Viking-ship-burial-found-in-Scotland/UPI-99021319055638/?spt=hs&or=sn

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  23:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hei.
No, i have not seen that video, thanks for sharing.
I read the news on yesterday.

Among all objects in the tomb was an Irish pin in bronze.

Reg. Olav Trygvasson, it was just a thought that striked an amateur.
Olav Trygvasson and his fleet was at the British Isles from 991-95 where he demanded money for "protection"
991 Olav was at Blackwater River at Maldon in Essex where Earl Brithnoth rejected an offer from the vikings to pay in gold and silver in return for piece and to avoid fighting.
Brithnoth and all his men fall in the Battle.

Later same year Olav sailed to London, with him was a Norwegian Viking chief from Ireland, Gudmund, Stegita son, perhaps "Skjegge´s son " where King Ethelred´s dealers accepted to pay 20 000 Pund in gold and silver for protection against other fleets and allow commercial ships come to and from London, the document "Peace agreement" is in Anglo Saxon/Lathin translated to Norwegian, Link

Ab. 995 Olav and his fleet traveled to Scotland.
Since there, so fare, is no Viking settlement discovered on the west-coast of Scotland I was thinking of Olav Trygvasson.
If there is a microscopic chance it was one of his men that was buried in the boat grave?

It will be exiting to follow the dating of the tomb.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 21/10/2011 11:31:45
Go to Top of Page

jensen90

244 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  18:33:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Carsten

Have you seen 'Hamsun"? I saw this movie as well and it was really good,

I have been in the town where Hamsun worked when he was in the states,the place is in Wisconsin and the place is Elroy Wisconsin,there were a settlement of Norwegians from Suldal in Norway who settled there,and Hamsun lived there for a while,he worked as a farmhand and also worked in a store in Elroy,he also worked as a conductor on railwaycarts in Chicago,I have'nt seen the movie yet but I am going to.
Jens
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  18:41:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is very interesting! There were quite a few Norwegians and Danes that settled in that area and even further west towards LaCrosse. I really need to watch that movie, especially since he lived not that far from me in Wisconsin.
Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  17:19:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in my early 20's I read every Hamsun book that was translated into English....they were incredible and he really resonated with me. Hamsun, despite his faults, was a great author, a grand master, and I really enjoyed his books.
Go to Top of Page

jensen90

244 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  14:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lislcat

That is very interesting! There were quite a few Norwegians and Danes that settled in that area and even further west towards LaCrosse. I really need to watch that movie, especially since he lived not that far from me in Wisconsin.
Wanda

That it is,Norwegian Television made a documentary about The place and interwiewed the local librarian in Elroy and I met this lady and she and her old aunt showed me around,her old aunt even spoke Norwegian even tjough she was born and raised in The US,I had a very nice visit with these people.
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  22:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somewhat related to this, interesting programme tonight on BBC Four covering the Viking Saga's. Focus on Iceland, but linking in Norwegian influence including christianisation of Iceland under Norwegian King Olaf. Also presence of women from Ireland and UK as wives and concubines. Film made by Century Films. Not sure if still viewable under BBC blog
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  11:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soon coming.
Kon-Tiki
Thor Heyerdal, the true story.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  16:03:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks good! I hope it comes to U.S. theaters, because I think it would look great on a big screen.

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article