All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Looking for Oline, Olene Engebritsen Andricksen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

noesark
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  18:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am VERY excited to have found this site. I am looking for my Norwegian relatives. My first one is:
Olene Engebritsen
Her grave says Olene Bahle.
She married Lars Esten Bahle from Baeverfiord on 9 Jan 1877. She married here in the United States in Suttons Bay, Michigan.

This might be her on the Norway online Census, but I can’t tell for sure.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=24&filnamn=f60613&gardpostnr=1022&personpostnr=4695&merk=4695#ovre

This is my research:
Oline Engebritsen (Andricksen) Flaugseth
Birth 29 Sept 1854 in Norway
Death 23 Feb 1899 in Suttons Bay, Michigan, USA
The death date is confirmed. The death certificate says she died 44 years 4 month 25 days.
Her birth date is not confirmed. I hope someone here can confirm her true birthdate.

Most people on ancestry.com have her birthdate as 25 Sept 1855 which I think may be wrong.
Her marriage certificate which I have says she was 22 when she was married on 9 Jan 1877 which aligns with my date. She was married in Suttons Bay, Michigan.

Ownen Bahle says her maiden name was Andricksen Engebritsen born in Norway on his family sheet on my website on ancestry.com.

Dale says it might be • Oline (Emma) Engebritsen (Andricksen) BAHLE
• Given Name: Oline (Emma) Engebritsen (Andricksen. Here is his website:
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=lundapgar&id=I893

Dale showed me this Norway website.
Lars Bahle the husband may be from Bahlenoste, Hmusfjorden, Norway. Lars’s dad was Esten Bahle….BAELE….BELE in Norwegian.

My question is what is Olene Engebritsen’s real maiden name. What are her parents name’s. Does anyone have information on my Great Great Great Grandma Olene?

The death certificate says her maiden name is Engebritsen and that her mother’s name is Gertrude from Norway. I also see it spelled Engebristsen.
My Tree at Ancestry.com is GARTHE NOE FAMILY TREE. I have pictures of her on my tree and many many of her husband Lars Esten Bahle.

Many thanks to all of you who help us find our families. I very much appreciate the time you all spend to help people.

Michelle Garthe Noe

Michelle Garthe Noe

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  23:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Without knowing WHERE in Norway to start your research - you will not have much success.

Try researching into Oline Engebretsdatter, born 23 Sept 1854 in Engerdal, Hedmark, Norway to Engebret Tollefsen and Gjertru Johnsdr.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8902&idx_id=8902&uid=ny&idx_side=-24

What someone may have interpreted as "Flaugseth" I would read instead as Hougseth for the farm name on that birth record.

By 1865 the family lives on a farm called Eggen --
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=0432&kenr=007&bnr=0021&lnr=00

There was no such thing as a "maiden name" in Norway because a woman did not change her name when she married. Whatever Oline chose to call herself AFTER she emigrated could only be found in Michigan records before or at the time of her marriage.

From the scanned copy of the Michigan marriage register page for 1877 which is online through Familysearch.org it would appear that she called herself Oline Engebritsen -- or that is what the person writing in that register thought they heard. Their handwriting also makes her given name look a great deal like Olive.

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  23:25:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Olenes husband "Lars Esten Bahle" = Lars Estensen, Bele was born July 8 and baptized Aug 5 1849, see #42. His parents were Esten Larsen, Bele and Marith Larsdatter.
Lars and his parents in 1865.

Olines parents Engebret Tollefsen and Gjertrud Johnsdatter were married July 19 1846, see #9.
Engebret was 42 years old, born at Haarseth and his father was Tollef Haagensen.
Gjertrud was 36 years, born at Hogseth and her fater was John Johnsen.

Engebrets parents Tollef Haagensen and Anne Embretsdatter in 1801.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 17/04/2011 00:22:58
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  23:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your information about Lars Bahle's origins also appears to have suffered greatly. "Bahlenoste, Hmusfjorden" is almost indecipherable.

But searching only for names and dates which seemed more concrete it would appear that that family came from Stangvik district in Møre og Romsdal, Norway. The 1865 Norwegian census shows them living on a farm then called Behlenøst.
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=1564&kenr=003&bnr=0008&lnr=000

I have no access to any information on Ancestry.com so referring to things available there is wasted on me.

Go to Top of Page

noesark
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2011 :  03:33:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Try researching into Oline Engebretsdatter, born 23 Sept 1854 in Engerdal, Hedmark, Norway to Engebret Tollefsen and Gjertru Johnsdr.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8902&idx_id=8902&uid=ny&idx_side=-24

Hopkins,

This is definately her as the birth date matches her death certificate. I am so happy. Can you tell me what location she was born in? What city, or what farm?

I am so appreciative of all your hard work helping me. I have been searching and searching and now you have helped me solve this mystery.

Michelle

Michelle Garthe Noe
Go to Top of Page

noesark
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2011 :  03:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eibache

Olenes husband "Lars Esten Bahle" = Lars Estensen, Bele was born July 8 and baptized Aug 5 1849, see #42. His parents were Esten Larsen, Bele and Marith Larsdatter.
Lars and his parents in 1865.

Olines parents Engebret Tollefsen and Gjertrud Johnsdatter were married July 19 1846, see #9.
Engebret was 42 years old, born at Haarseth and his father was Tollef Haagensen.
Gjertrud was 36 years, born at Hogseth and her fater was John Johnsen.

Engebrets parents Tollef Haagensen and Anne Embretsdatter in 1801.

I want to thank you so much for all your help. This is definately the right family as I have all Lars Bahle's, known as BELE in Norway. Thanks for posting.

Does it say who Esten Bele's father or moher is?

Michelle

Michelle Garthe Noe
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2011 :  06:09:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Can you tell me what location she was born in? What city, or what farm?
- you can tell from the record - parents living at Haugseth-Eggen, same place as the 1865 census. The farm (cotter-place) in Rendalen parish, Hedmark county. Haugsetegga (Haugseth-Eggen) on this map.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2011 :  06:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Esten Larsen and Marith Larsdatter were married June 21 1846, see #8.
quote:
Does it say who Esten Bele's father or moher is?
- you have to look it up in parish records, Esten Bele = Esten Larsen, 46 years in 1865-census, i.e. born approx 1820 in Stangvik parish.

See #3, he was born Jan 3 1821, his parents were Lars Larsen, Bele and Maria Olsdatter.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 17/04/2011 06:58:52
Go to Top of Page

noesark
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2011 :  07:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

Without knowing WHERE in Norway to start your research - you will not have much success.

What someone may have interpreted as "Flaugseth" I would read instead as Hougseth for the farm name on that birth record.

By 1865 the family lives on a farm called Eggen --
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=0432&kenr=007&bnr=0021&lnr=00

There was no such thing as a "maiden name" in Norway because a woman did not change her name when she married. Whatever Oline chose to call herself AFTER she emigrated could only be found in Michigan records before or at the time of her marriage.

From the scanned copy of the Michigan marriage register page for 1877 which is online through Familysearch.org it would appear that she called herself Oline Engebritsen -- or that is what the person writing in that register thought they heard. Their handwriting also makes her given name look a great deal like Olive.

Yes, it does. She did go by Olene when she moved to the USA, and also Olena. It was hard to read the writing.

You gave me this link with these cut and pasted children/parents:

Embret Tollefsen Inderst g Fisker 1804 Rendal
Gjertrud Johnsdatter Hans kone g Forestaar husholdningen hos O. Johnsen 1810 Rendal
John Embretsen Deres søn ug Skomager 1840 Rendal
Anne Embretsdatter Deres datter ug 1848 Rendal
Oline Embretsdatter Deres datter ug 1854 Rendal
Johanne Olsdatter Inderst ug 1837 Rendal
Karen Andersdatter Hendes datter ug
My question is John, Anne, and Oline, all have the name Embretsen/datter.. But Johanne and Karen have different last names? Do you think they have different parents?
I used the Norwegian / translation which helped with the occupations but I am confused by the different last name.

Thanks.
Michelle

Michelle Garthe Noe
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2011 :  10:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Johanne Olsdatter is an inderst = renting room - not in family with Embret Tollefsen, Karen Andersdatter is her daughter.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 17/04/2011 10:33:53
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article