All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Ole Gunderson from Asnes born in 1858
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2012 :  09:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are welcome.

Sorry about the church books that burned in a fire.

You can watch Flisstrand where your family lived in 1865 in this map.

Write Flisstrand and enter Flisstranda, Åsnes (Bruk-Farm)

Perhaps Åsnes Historical Society can help you to find out who Gunder Pedersen was.
They have a link "kontakt oss" Contact us, see link here

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2012 :  12:34:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a possible Karen Mortensdatter for you.
Your Karen was born ca 1820.
Åsnes parish before 1848 was included in Hof parish.

Karen Mortensdatter b. on Flissundet Mai 24. 1820., bap. in Hof parish June 4.
Parents Morten Knudsen and Pernille Jensdatter, see right page #39

Kåre

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2012 :  14:19:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the parents of Karen Mortensdatter (b May 24 1820) are Morten Knudsen, Bjørnebye 24 years and Pernille Jonsdatter, Bjørnebye 28 years, who were married April 29 1820, see #25.

Pernille Jonsdatter (and her mother) in 1801.

Morten Knudsen (and his parents) in 1801.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

bmcnallie
Medium member

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2012 :  15:27:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is what I found about a Gunder Pederson from 1865. It was the same general area that Ole and family were and seems to be about the same age. http://tinyurl.com/d85k7mv

Thanks for the info on Karen Mortensdatter and family. I do not think I would have been able to read and figure that out from those records. I did find records for Oline's parents in the Hof records.

Barb
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2012 :  17:04:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gunder Pedersen seems to be a promising candidate.

Born ca 1820 in Åsnes, he was unmarried and former owner of the farm, occ. "Føderaadsmand" with a legal contract on free supplies on the farm Dalhyklingen at lake Vermunden in Gjesaasen (Gjesåsen) as long as he lived.

Lake Vermunden is almost at the Swedish border.

Born ca 1820 i Åsnes, should exist the Hof records.

Obs, obs, but a candidate can be Gunder Pedersen b. Sept 4. 1818 out of wedloc. Parents Peder Olsen Trangsrud and Sigrid Pedersdatter Mellum, #58

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 03/04/2012 20:10:37
Go to Top of Page

bmcnallie
Medium member

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  15:54:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the 1865 census of Olina Thorsteinsdatter that will eventually become the wife of Ole Gundersen. They were married in Wisconsin. http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=22&filnamn=f60425&gardpostnr=469&personpostnr=2864&merk=2864#ovre

Two questions. Where might this Braaten farm be located. I have tried to look but no luck. Also, why is Olina's last name listed as Thorsteinsdatter and her sisters are listed with the Torrisdatter. I am still not sure about all the name variations. Thanks

Barb
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  16:42:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are many Braaten (Bråten) in Åsnes (see map)
The one you would be interested in is most likely the one close to Gjesaasen (Gjesåsen)
Search for locations in this map.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 03/04/2012 16:44:12
Go to Top of Page

bmcnallie
Medium member

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  17:33:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again. I had a marriage date of who I think are Oline Thorsteinsdatter's MOTHER"S parents. Torris Olsen to Olea Christiansdatter on Jan 24, 1817. #5 on this page. http://tinyurl.com/7j5fvlo Could someone please help me interpret what is in each column. Thanks.

Barb
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  19:44:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(link did not work right) - anyway the record is here:
Hmd (cotter) Tøris Olsen, Aasnæs (30 years) married Olea Christiansdatter, Aasnæs (21 years) in Aasnæs church on Jan 24 1817.
Witnesses: Lars Larsen, Holmen and Haagen Evensen, Aasnæs.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 04/04/2012 19:47:30
Go to Top of Page

bmcnallie
Medium member

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2012 :  19:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been corresponding with Jackie on the Thornstein Pederson/Lisabet Torridsdatter thread. Yesterday a document was found and had the names of many of the people we are researching. Anyway, the name of Kristian Henriksen Vermunden (b.1807) was listed on this. https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/show?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fcatalog-search-api%3A8080%2Fwww-catalogapi-webservice%2Fitem%2F1231718

On THIS thread, we discussed a Gunder Pederson as a possible candidate for Ole Gunderson's father. Now here is the question.

Kristian Henriksen seems to be the STEP-Father of Ole Gunderson. It looks like he lived on the farm Vermunden. The Gunder Pedersen discussed on this thread looks like he lived on a farm by a Lake Vermunden. Could these two men be related or connected in some way?

Barb
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2012 :  21:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christian Hendrechsen was baptized April 24 1807, lower part right page. His parents were Hendrech Andersen and Ingeborg Carlsdatter, Vermunden under Trangsrud.
The parents in 1801.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

bmcnallie
Medium member

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  15:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I commented on this thread, I have found a lot of information. I have another question that I was wondering if anyone could lead me in the right direction. Ole Gunderson's mother was listed as Karen Mortensdatter on the 1865 norway census AND on his marriage certificate here in America. However on the ship records, her last name was listed as Nilsdatter or Nielsdatter. Does anyone have any idea on how to see if her parents...father was a Morten something...and maybe her mother was a Nilsdatter? Any help would be appreciated.

Barb
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7761 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  23:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There could be a lot of reasons.

Could be a mistake created when the original record was created. One time I read the arrivals in July 1853 at New York. There was bad penmanship, one ship's list had the name of the ship in 4 places on the form and the ship's name was spelled 4 different ways--so lack of adherence to standardized spelling; assumptions on the part of the clerk that the passengers on the ship followed another culture's naming system--i.e. that each family member had the same last name as the head of the household since that was the Anglo-American standard, etc..

Then there are the same kinds of mistakes in transcribing--bad penmanship leading to misinterpretations of the word; assuming you know what last name folk used based on what your experience tells you, etc.

The best advice is to look at the handwritten original to see what you yourself can discern from the record.
Go to Top of Page

bmcnallie
Medium member

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2013 :  23:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This new question has to do with Karen Mortensdatter.

From the above post--Since I commented on this thread, I have found a lot of information. I have another question that I was wondering if anyone could lead me in the right direction. Ole Gunderson's mother was listed as Karen Mortensdatter on the 1865 norway census AND on his marriage certificate here in America. However on the ship records, her last name was listed as Nilsdatter or Nielsdatter.

Now I have found that Nilson last name on this document. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VW5C-MRX I am still trying to find out more information about Ole;s mother. This document shows the POSSIBLE Karen that was Ole's half sister. The family changed their name to Johnson when arriving in America. Would this document be the same family? But why would it show Kristian's last name as Johnson in Norway?

Any help would be appreciated.

Barb
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7761 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2013 :  02:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re the familysearch link you provided, my first concern would be to be sure that this entry actually relates to the person you think it does. I searched on the microfilm number and here are the records found on that film:

"Search Results for FamilySearch Catalog
Ministerialbog, 1876-1948
author: Vor Frelsers Norsk-Evang. Lutherske Menighed (Eau Claire, Wisconsin)
availability:

Church records, 1897-1958 [Eau Claire, Wisconsin]
author: North Presbyterian Church (Eau Claire, Wisconsin)
availability:

Church records, 1896-1982 [Truax, Wisconsin]
author: Truax Congregational Church (Truax, Wisconsin)
availability:

Cemetery records, town of Brunswick (Wisconsin), ca. 1870-1982
author:
availability:

Church registers, 1875-1924 [Eau Claire, Wisconsin]
author: Catholic Church. Sacred Heart (Eau Claire, Wisconsin) "

Is it reasonable or expected that the family would have been members or attended any of these churches? Does the birthdate of 1860 match what you already know about her i.e. a person named Karen Kristiansdatter b abt 1861 in Norway? The lack of context for the reference, without any other supporting information makes me suspicious--what pastoral act could this reference be indicating?

Edited by - jkmarler on 14/01/2013 02:50:44
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article