All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MISCELLANEOUS
 General misc...
 Ole Paul Arnesen Haugen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2018 :  23:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your search is complicated by the fact that Canada has not released any Census data for general use since the 1921 Censu. It is also complicated by the seemingly large number of people in the northern tier of the US named Ole Haugen. Here is one example. There are two people named Ole Haugen who died in North Dakota in Bottineau County in 1967, one of them is likely the Ole Haugen that Jackie posted information on earlier in this thread. You stated that he was born in North Dakota, but I am not so sure of that. I think that the one born in North Dakota is this one.

Ole Haugen
in the U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014
Name: Ole Haugen
SSN: 502-38-3911
Last Residence:
58318 Bottineau, Bottineau, North Dakota, USA
BORN: 13 Aug 1903
Died: May 1967
State (Year) SSN issued: North Dakota (1956)

For the other one it is not clear where he was born. Both Social Security numbers are given so it may be possible to figure out for sure where the second Ole Haugen was born. This is the one posted by Jackie earlier in this thread.

Ole Haugen
in the U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014
Name: Ole Haugen
SSN: 501-12-2860
Last Residence:
58360 Overly, Bottineau, North Dakota, USA
BORN: 11 Jun 1906
Died: Dec 1967
State (Year) SSN issued: North Dakota (Before 1951)

Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2018 :  23:41:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I agree - lots of Ole Haugens. Ole #2 whose last residence was Overly ND I found his obit in the Bottineau Courant. He was born in Granville ND and is not the Ole we're looking for. Do you want me to send you the funeral notice? Ole #1 may also be born in ND but his birth date does not match.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2018 :  23:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, no funeral notice needed. As long as your comfortable with the evidence that is all that is needed to eliminate him.

It is certainly possible that the Ole Haugen that crossed the border in 1930 in one of these Ole Haugens.

And it is quite possible that your Ole Haugen arrived in Canada, met in Canada with Rheys and never left Canada

Edited by - AntonH on 27/01/2018 01:26:18
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2018 :  02:14:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think either of the 2 Ole Haugens listed would have crossed the border if they were both born in ND. I may be wrong. It strikes me as rare that an Ole Hagen 24 years old crossed from Canada to the USA in 1930. The odds seem high to me that it is our "Ole" leaving Canada for the USA. Do you know if there is anywhere else to contact for more information on border crossings? The relatives in Norway feel strongly that he lived in Canada and I did too until I found that border crossing.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2018 :  12:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The border is open and people often go back and forth, particularly those who live near it, for trade or family.

Here is a free search engine to the Winnepeg Tribune:
http://www.umanitoba.ca/libraries/units/archives/tribune/

Some items regarding the Canadian Railway colonization program:
http://www.glenbow.org/collections/search/findingAids/archhtm/cpr.cfm#series5j

Edited by - jkmarler on 27/01/2018 14:43:28
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2018 :  22:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you run down this person?

Name:
Ole Paul Haugen

Death Date:
20 Feb 1965

Death Place:
Ponoka, Alberta, Canada

Registration Number:
002-177
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2018 :  22:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably the same one referred to by the OP on page one

Pvt Ole P. Haugen
in the Canada, Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current
Name: Pvt Ole P. Haugen
Death Date: 20 Feb 1965
Cemetery: Forest Home Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Ponoka, Red Deer Census Division, Alberta, Canada
Has Bio?: Y

Pvt Ole P. Haugen
BIRTH unknown
DEATH 20 Feb 1965
BURIAL Forest Home Cemetery Ponoka, Red Deer Census Division, Alberta, Canada
MEMORIAL ID 134906179

R.C.O.C.
(ROYAL CANADIAN ORDINANCE CORPS)
AGE 58

Edited by - AntonH on 27/01/2018 22:53:27
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2018 :  23:21:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Except this reference has the P standing for Paul.....
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2018 :  18:29:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

The border is open and people often go back and forth, particularly those who live near it, for trade or family. True but isn't that general travel and they wouldn't be listed in the immigration records would they? I will check out the links below. I believe I've read the information at the Glenbow site.

Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2018 :  18:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes - we have worked quite a bit on the Pvt Ole P Haugen who died on February 20, 1965. He does look like a good match. We have reached out to the Ponoka Canadian Legion (plus the AB Legion HQ) and their Library. The Legion says they do not have any information on him (an error that listed he had a bio and he doesn't) and they contacted several people in the area on our behalf. I never heard back from the Library for requesting a copy of the obituary. This week I contacted the Provincial Archives of Alberta and requested a copy of the 1940 registration information for Ole P Haugen. I hope to receive this information within the next 2 weeks. We also contacted Haugens in the area through FaceBook if by chance they were relatives, but we didn't find out anything. I've scanned newspapers and joined 2 Canadian genealogy groups requesting recommendations or places to look. Last week the son Arne, who is looking for Ole P Haugen, agreed to take a DNA test to see if that would give us any other information. I will try contacting the library again. An obit from 1965 is not very old.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2018 :  02:16:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ancestry also lists an Ole P Haugen as a voter in Camrose, Alberta and there is a Mrs. Ole P Haugen as well over a number of years. Perhaps the cemetery has records for the burial?
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2018 :  03:12:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brejohns

quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

The border is open and people often go back and forth, particularly those who live near it, for trade or family. True but isn't that general travel and they wouldn't be listed in the immigration records would they? I will check out the links below. I believe I've read the information at the Glenbow site.

Since the record of Ole Hagen coming to US is kind of fragmentary, it's true nature is not clear. Maybe an Ole who already had been in Canada some time decided to take a trip stateside? But there are numerous entries of people going back and forth over the border in those reports for temporary visits, etc. It may not have been a "permanent" move.

The Glenbow stuff is a finding aid description to show what's in each file. There are numerous files with reports on settlers in the 1930 year which might give a clue. R.C. Bosworth correspondence is mentioned in 3 or 4 of the file's descriptions. Getting a look at the actual documents in some of the 1930 files might have a help.

Rhey Codding Bosworth and his family moved to Winnepeg in 1930 from St. Paul. Eventually they moved back to US and R.C. retired in 1950 after 40 years in the colonization business of the railroad.
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2018 :  03:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes - we've found a couple of census that list a Mrs. Ole P Haugen voting. Most are near Camrose AB or in that area. It sure would be helpful to find the obituary for Ole in 1965. I will try contacting the cemetery as well.
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2018 :  04:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received this email from the Library and Archives of Canada a few weeks back and check each of the links listed. I've tried contacting the CPR regarding the records, but they say individuals can not access them but you can hire someone. I have no idea what that would cost but it is an option that is available to Ole's son.

Our file number: QMS- 67581

Dear Brenda Johnson:

Thank you for your inquiry. I wish to advise you that information about passenger lists and how to access them can be found on our genealogy website under Immigration: Immigration Records: Passenger Lists:

www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/genealogy/Pages/introduction.aspx

For some of our records, you can search genealogy databases on our free Ancestors Search page:

www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/search/Pages/ancestors-search.aspx Each database includes its own search screen and introductory pages that explain the records and how to access them.

Free databases on other websites:

Passenger lists 1881-1922:

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1823240

Quebec passenger lists 1903-1910:

www.nanaimofamilyhistory.ca/index.php?p=1_9_Passenger-List-Project

Subscription databases:

Passenger lists 1865-1935 and Form 30A 1919-1924: www.ancestry.ca

(Ancestry has also indexed American, U.K. and other passenger lists)

U.K. outbound passenger lists 1890-1960: www.findmypast.co.uk

When searching databases, note that spelling variations of names were common before the mid-1900s. Many names were written phonetically, as they sounded to the person recording them. Also, databases often contain indexing errors due to the poor handwriting in the original records or the poor legibility of some pages. If you do not find a name in a database, you can try searching the actual records.

A search confirms

Given Name(s): Ole Aenesen

Surname: Haugen

Nationality: Nor

Ship: DUCHESS OF YORK

Port of Arrival: Quebec, Quebec

Date of Arrival: 1930-05-09

Year of Arrival: 1930

Volume Number: 3

Page Number: 142

Series: C-1-a

Microfilm Reel Number: T-14763

Reference: RG 76

Pdf link to reel T-14763: www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/microform-digitization/006003-119.02-e.php?q3=914&sqn=595&tt=605&q2=12&interval=&PHPSESSID=thnl5k5vfi1jpmos6chg97hs3fatr5bemeedsggj7dlof88nm5o0" target="_blank">http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/microform-digitization/006003-119.02-e.php?q3=914&sqn=595&tt=605&q2=12&interval=&PHPSESSID=thnl5k5vfi1jpmos6chg97hs3fatr5bemeedsggj7dlof88nm5o0

He was destined to a Canadian Pacific Railway employment and colonization office. In addition to transporting immigrants by sea and rail, the CNR and CPR also recruited labourers for farm employment through their own colonization departments.

The Canadian Pacific Railway Land Settlement and Development fonds can be accessed through the Glenbow Museum’s archives: www.glenbow.org/collections/archives/" target="_blank">http://www.glenbow.org/collections/archives/ The archives may be able to assist or suggest a researcher for hire.

Keep in mind that in addition to the economic crisis in North America known as The Great Depression which occurred from late 1929 through the 1930s, the Prairie Provinces were undergoing a severe drought. The sections under “A Depressing Period” on our online exhibition Moving Here, Staying Here: The Canadian Immigrant Experience provides some context to the situation in Canada at the time: www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/immigrants/021017-2520-e.html" target="_blank">https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/immigrants/021017-2520-e.html

If he became a Canadian citizen, lists of naturalization certificates issued between 1915 and 1951 have been scanned and can be searched online using our Naturalization Records, 1915–1951 database:

www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/citizenship-naturalization-records/naturalized-records-1915-1951/Pages/introduction.aspx

The database provides names and certificate numbers, which can be used to order copies of the actual documents. Those records are not held at Library and Archives Canada. The database's introductory pages include information about the records and how to obtain copies from Citizenship and Immigration Canada, which is the department that holds the records.

Information about him might be found in the 1940 National Registration records in the custody of Statistics Canada. Those records include details such as date and place of birth, year of immigration, work history, military service, etc. For more information, please consult

our blog post at http://thediscoverblog.com/2013/08/08/the-1940-national-registration-file/

In Canada, the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths is a provincial and territorial responsibility. Information about those records, including how and where to access them, can be found on our genealogy website under Topics: Births, Marriages and Deaths: Civil Registration:

www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/genealogy/topics/Pages/births-marriages-deaths.aspx

Keep in mind that the name Ole Haugen/Hagen/Hogen is not unique during this period of time. If you haven’t already done so, you may wish to explore the Norwegian archives emigration records through their Digitalarkivet, which can sometimes provide more details about the immigrant. You may also wish to verify his full name in Norwegian sources, as Aenesen may not be correct.

For information about Norwegian sources, consult our website www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/genealogy/Pages/introduction.aspx under Ethnic Groups.

I hope you will find this information helpful.

Sincerely,

Nicole Watier

Genealogy Consultant, Public Services Branch
Library and Archives Canada / Government of Canada
nicole.watier@canada.ca / Tel: 613-943-8876 / TTY:613-992-6969

Conseillère en généalogie, Direction générale des services au public
Bibliothèque et Archives Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
nicole.watier@canada.ca / Tél. : 613-943-8876 / ATS:613-992-6969
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2018 :  13:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a newspaper published for Ponoka called the Ponoka News:
5010 Chipman 50 Ave, Ponoka, AB T4J, Canada
+1 403-783-3311

They also have a website and an online archive of obituaries going back to 1978 (so none as early as 1965.)

https://www.ponokanews.com/

The Camrose Morning News serves the Camrose area:
6005-48 Avenue
Camrose, Alberta, T4V 0K2
Phone: (780) 672-3231
Email Inquiries: info@camrosemorningnews.com

yourlifemoments.ca

Edited by - jkmarler on 29/01/2018 13:53:57
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article