All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MISCELLANEOUS
 General misc...
 Ole Paul Arnesen Haugen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2018 :  23:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I did not have the news email. I will try contacting them also. Still no reply from their library.
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2018 :  18:33:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I received this email from Glenbow organization.
Thank you for your inquiry.

The records of Canadian Pacific are now held by Exporail, except for land and natural resource activities which are held by us. My understanding is that all employee records have been destroyed but you should contact the archives in case they can help.

http://www.exporail.org/en/archives-centre/

Douglas E. Cass
Director, Library and Archives
dcass@glenbow.org

130 9 Avenue SE Calgary, Alberta T2G 0P3
D 403 268 4203
F 403 232-6569
glenbow.org

However, I had contacted Exporail last November and received this reply.
Thank you for your email.

Please note that CP archives are held by Expo Rail. They can be reached at archives@exporail.org.

CP Archives and Expo Rail do not hold or have access to employee records and are unable to perform any genealogical research.

The archive and records for CP Ships and CP Air are held by the Canada Science and Technology Museum.

The Fairmont organization should be contacted for questions regarding CP Hotels.

Other inquiries will be addressed at the discretion of the Company.

So it appears to be a dead end for CPR records.
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2018 :  20:41:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received this email from the Ponoka Cemetery.

Hi Brenda

So I have checked our records and unfortunately they are pretty vague.
I guess back in those days records weren’t as important as they are today.

All I show is Haugen, Ole Paul, burial Date February 26, 1965, and location of burial Plot 1, Lot 206, Block 5.
I checked phone book for Ponoka, Lacombe, Blackfalds, Red Deer, and I don’t see anything.
Further to this, I was born and raised in Ponoka (Born in 50’s) and I don’t every recall that name.

Sorry, I wish I could be of more help.

Val

Val Schabert/Accounting Technician
Property Taxation/Cemetery Administration
Direct Phone: 403-783-0127 Direct Fax: 403-783-0115
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2018 :  07:55:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brejohns

I received this email from the Ponoka Cemetery.

Hi Brenda

So I have checked our records and unfortunately they are pretty vague.
I guess back in those days records weren’t as important as they are today.

All I show is Haugen, Ole Paul, burial Date February 26, 1965, and location of burial Plot 1, Lot 206, Block 5.
I checked phone book for Ponoka, Lacombe, Blackfalds, Red Deer, and I don’t see anything.
Further to this, I was born and raised in Ponoka (Born in 50’s) and I don’t every recall that name.

Sorry, I wish I could be of more help.

Val

Val Schabert/Accounting Technician
Property Taxation/Cemetery Administration
Direct Phone: 403-783-0127 Direct Fax: 403-783-0115

Give Val another chance. Anyone else buried in Ole's plot?

Who are / were the local funeral homes?
Google finds these funeral homes which look like they might be part of a consolidated organization called Wombold Funeral Homes.

Baker Funeral Chapel Inc.
5302 50 Avenue
Wetaskiwin, AB T9A 0T1
Tel: (780) 352-2501

Ponoka Funeral Home
5115 50th Avenue, Box 4007
Ponoka, AB T4J 1R5
Tel: (403) 783-3122

Bashaw Funeral Home Ltd.
5016 50th Avenue, Box 717
Bashaw, AB T0B 0H0
Tel: (780) 372-2353

Wetaskiwin Funeral Home & Crematorium
4620 64 Avenue, Box 7026
Wetaskiwin, AB T9A 2Y9
Tel: (780) 352-5252

There are email addresses for each location:
http://www.womboldfuneralhomes.com/contact-us

It looks like the Wombolds are a multi-generational family business, so may know which funeral home might have handled if they didn't.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2018 :  08:52:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Have you run down this person?

Name:
Ole Paul Haugen

Death Date:
20 Feb 1965

Death Place:
Ponoka, Alberta, Canada

Registration Number:
002-177

Apparently you can order the death certificate at the Provincial Archives via an online form using this information.

Here is the full index:
http://provincialarchives.alberta.ca/docs/how-to/find-birth-marriage-death-records/deaths/deaths-2/h/deaths-h-1965-1966.pdf

Hopefully the actual certificate might have more information than what is in the index:
http://provincialarchives.alberta.ca/how-to/find-birth-marriage-death-records/deaths-accordian.aspx

Request form:
http://provincialarchives.alberta.ca/how-to/find-birth-marriage-death-records/request-form/

There are a number of Ole Haugen marriages through1931- 1941:

Ole P Haugen 1941 Calgary #1550
Ole Haugen 1936 Wainwright # 1936
Ole Haugen 1941 Edmonton # 1941

Edited by - jkmarler on 31/01/2018 18:45:56
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2018 :  23:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for these links. I will definitely use them to see if I can get information on the Ole P Haugen that was married in 1941. The Ole Haugen married in 1936 from Wainwright is not our Ole as he was born in 1888 and died in 1977 and is buried in Wainwright Alberta. He was married to Francis I. at Wainwright. The Ole Haugen from Edmonton I have not ruled completely out.
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  02:53:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received a reply from the Ponoka Library. They called around and said that the Ft. Ostell Museum has old newspapers on microfiche. So I emailed them and received a quick reply. They will check the microfiche for me and get back to me. That was sure a nice surprise.
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  03:35:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ft Ostell Museum could not find any obit for Pvt Ole Haugen who died Feb 20 1965. They looked at the 2 papers they had in archives. However, they did mention to contact the Wombold funeral home as jkmarler did in her previous post. I have emailed the funeral home and also asked if there were any other burials in the plot that Ole was buried in. We'll see if they send in information. I'll contact them for the death certificate as well.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  14:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing which is a bit interesting is that Ole Paul Haugen dies on 20 Feb and isn't buried until 26 Feb. In the 1960s that seems like an unusually long period for disposition of a body.... Don't know what that means unless maybe he died as a "stranger in a strange land" unknown relatives....
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  20:10:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have ordered a copy of the death certificate from the Provincial Archives of Alberta. I have also ordered a copy of the provincial registration for 1940. I hope to have some additional information soon.
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  19:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jkmarler you bring up a good point about Ole not being buried for 6 days. Maybe he was a penniless soul and they had to wait until an organization paid for the funeral? Since his headstone says Pvt (private) in the R.C.O.C. it may have something to do with a veterans organization. I hope the funeral home records can shed some light on his burial.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  21:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thing that's interesting is that in the voting records for Mr. Ole P Haugen and Mrs. Ole P Haugen, their voting residence was Dinant, Alberta which is north of Camrose. Doing this from memory, I think the earliest date was 1935 or 1936. His occupation was "sectionman" and her first name is never given but she is listed as a married woman. In the later voting records he is listed as a farmer and she is again listed as only Mrs. Ole or Mrs. Ole P. Haugen. The records didn't seem to be regular enough to say that he or they voted every year until 1965 and never thereafter. Also since he's married in the 1935/1936 records, that could mean that there were two Ole / Ole P Haugens both at Dinant or possibly that he was married twice, the first time sometime and place before the 1941 marriage (s). From the online discussions Dinant was apparently very small place that may actually be abandoned now.
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  22:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did find 1 Mrs. Ole P Haugen grave. The grave was dated 10/26/1937 and had the name Lillian "wife of Ole Paulson Haugen." This grave was at the Camrose Bethlehem Lutheran Church. However, we had a marriage record between Ole P Haugen and Elva A. Peck in 1941. But I couldn't locate a grave for Elva. Is the occupation "sectionman" referring to the railroad?
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  00:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Paulson might be a fly in the ointment.

Yes, I think sectionman is a railroad occupation.

The death index listing for Lillian Haugen gives her middle initial as "P", her death place as Edmonton and cert # 843.

Here Lillian is listed as Lillian Paulson age 34:
http://www.angelfire.com/ab/camrosecountychurch/BETHLEHEM.html

Edited by - jkmarler on 07/02/2018 06:18:14
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  08:21:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going back to the death index listing for Ole Paul Haugen, I finally found the key for the codes and I think it confirms that we have a match. Under the heading of MDY are these numbers 41906 which is the birth date, so 4 / 19/ (19)06 or 19 April 1906.

And there is a death for an Olav Paulson Haugen in 1963 his mother's maiden name was Naomeland and his birth year 1901 and his cert # 008-509. Olav Paulson Haugen 1st paper Canadian naturalization:
http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?id=P27-28_488&op=pdf&app=naturalization19151936 Olav Paalson Haugen in Flin Flon in 1934: http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?id=1934-04-06_2113&op=pdf&app=naturalization19151936

Edited by - jkmarler on 07/02/2018 22:01:14
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article