All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Peter E Simon (1870 Immigration to the US)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
834 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2019 :  21:55:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is actually a family tree for these people on Ancestry; it says that the mother "Angette" died in 1902. The tree is named the LeoMcDowellFamily.

Not all that interesting; of relevance it only contains Anton, his mother Angette H Poulson and his two wives and descendants. According to the tree, though, the mother was born and died on Nov 20th 1820 and Dec 9, 1920. The name of the mother was more likely Agnete.

Edited by - ToreL on 22/01/2019 22:16:51
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7778 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2019 :  22:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FAG Anton F. Poulson, no picture of the stone however:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/118304609

And the mother Angette (?) Poulson:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/118304600/angette-h-poulson

Edited by - jkmarler on 22/01/2019 22:31:14
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
834 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2019 :  23:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yet another family tree at Ancestry, carol poulson family tree, has a very detailed account of Mattie's family, complete with dates and places of birth. According to this information, Mathia was born April 14th 1861 in Ringsaker:

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070119310616

Baptism on July 21st. Mother Agnete Hansdatter, father Fredrik Christensen. This was out of wedlock, and the father was already married to somebody else. Mathia had a male twin. According to this same source (family tree), Anton had a different father, Ole Poulson Stensengeie.

Edited by - ToreL on 22/01/2019 23:42:14
Go to Top of Page

dylankylesimon

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2019 :  02:34:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all very much for helping out so much. I really appreciate that kind of dedication and I apologize if I came over somewhat bold, it was 2:30 AM and I was still researching!

I can read a Petter Evensen, still having difficulties to understand this entry in digitalarkivetwhat and what part of the entire name is the first name, middle name and last name, since the entry which you posted seem to come very close to said name Petter Evensen
Hagastuen, Marigaardseie

quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Here is a link to the possible in Norderhov 1865:
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01038084009386

I also find this entry very interesting, because it from what I can read reflects the same birthday as of ToreL's entry and I would like to understand what it says in the 6 Column, because I feel like I see the word Edmund? As possible father? Explaining why he named his son Edmund? or is his Father Johannes Marthinsen and Mother Martha Helgesdatter like in the entry above?
quote:
Originally posted by vivi

Hi

Here is the baptizm of the Peter/Petter found by jkmarler.
No 119:
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070314630148

The family live at Marigaardeie and Norderhov is in Ringerike.

Also very helpful is this entry Peder Evensen Marigaardeie Immigration 1 May 1870, because it definitely matches!

quote:
Originally posted by vivi

Hi

You find his emigration listed on this list in 1870 5. jan:
http://www.rddlag.org/emigrants/1870.htm

And the most I am thankful for this entry, because how said, this is a gem and I really really appreciate the efforts from jkmarler and ToneL. This isn't only very helpful but also a nice piece of history.
quote:
Originally posted by ToreL

I think Jackie's find in the Fergus Falls Ugeblad is such a gem that it deserves to be displayed here.

A greeting to people from Ringerike!

As most people don't know me un-
der the name that I use here in
(the) U.S., I will inform you that my old
Norwegian name is Petter Evensen
Hagastuen, Marigaardseie.

P.E. Simon, Dalton, Minn.

And it is clearly no coincidence that he chose the date of May 17th for this greeting.

After all, I can again only be very thankful! However it leaves me also with the question left, what parts of his name are and their origin and what is his fathers name, mothers name, his last name and if his name is, since it always seem to change slightly and if it is Petter Evensen
Hagastuen, Marigaardseie
, what does Hagastuen mean? If I assume Petter is his first name, Evensen his Middle Name (possible the E in Peter E Simon?) and Marigaardseie his last name? Why did he choose Simon? Anybody any idea?

Again thank you very much
- Dylan K Simon
Go to Top of Page

dylankylesimon

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2019 :  02:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I saw that already and have added it to my family tree! Thanks!
quote:

Have you seen this? Castlewood is where Mattie lived in 1915.

https://southdakotagravestones.org/view.php?id=223752

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9265 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2019 :  02:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Norwegian names are sometimes a little confusing. His first name when he was baptized was Peter. His father was Even Olsen. So he would usually use the name Peter Evenson ie Peter son of Even. However Norwegians also used the name of the farm that they were living on as a further identifier. For Peter those farms were Hagastuen and Marigaardseie .

Here is his baptism record. Click on #119

In this record his father is called Even Olsen Marigaardseie, indicating that they are likely living on the Marigaardseie farm at that time. The eie at they are likely a cotter ie they are leasing a part of the Marigaards farm and do not own the land.

Here is how Ancestry.com has transcribed his baptism record

Peter Evensen
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: Peter Evensen
Birth Date: 23 sep 1849
Baptism Date: 4 nov 1849
Baptism Place: Norderhov,Buskerud,Norway
Father: Even Olsen
Mother: Marte Helgesdr

Edited by - AntonH on 23/01/2019 02:56:05
Go to Top of Page

dylankylesimon

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2019 :  02:55:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With this can we assume that this is Mattie "Mathia" Simon was born April 14th 1861 in Ringsaker and that her Maiden Name is Poulson with a Mother of Agnete Hansdatter and a Father Fredik Christensen? And why would her last name be different from her parents?
quote:

Yet another family tree at Ancestry, carol poulson family tree, has a very detailed account of Mattie's family, complete with dates and places of birth. According to this information, Mathia was born April 14th 1861 in Ringsaker:

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070119310616

Baptism on July 21st. Mother Agnete Hansdatter, father Fredrik Christensen. This was out of wedlock, and the father was already married to somebody else. Mathia had a male twin. According to this same source (family tree), Anton had a different father, Ole Poulson Stensengeie.

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9265 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2019 :  03:04:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the baptism record for Mathea transcribed by Ancestry.com.

Mathea Fredriksdatter
Name: Mathea Fredriksdatter
Birth Date: 14 apr 1861
Baptism Date: 21 jul 1861
Baptism Place: Ringsaker, Hedmark, Norway
Father: Fredrik Christensen
Mother: Agnete Hansdr
FHL Film Number: 307213

She is in this record called Mathea Fredriksdatter after her father Fredrik. She adopted the name Poulson at some later time. Since she was born out of wedlock perhaps she lived at some later time with a family named Poulson.

Perhaps her mother married an man with the last name of Poulson. There is a Angnette Poulson living in Wisconsin, perhaps that is her mother or more likely a separate family.

Edited by - AntonH on 23/01/2019 04:31:33
Go to Top of Page

dylankylesimon

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2019 :  03:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lyndal40, I forsure go with y'all research 100% more with what I find, I mean, it is quiet confusing too me and I would love to know why Peter E. Simon chose Simon as last name, since it is my last name, but also liked to know why in every record in the USA we only see E. and never more! Maybe someone can find a gravestone or so?

Edited by - dylankylesimon on 23/01/2019 03:24:53
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9265 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2019 :  03:33:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why he chose the last name of Simon might be a little difficult to discern. When he left his parish in Norway in 1870 he called himself Peter Evensen Marigaardseie. So it is likely that he adopted the last name of Simon either on his voyage or after he arrived in America. The farm name he was using complex. The farm is Mari, gaard is the Norwegian word for farm. eie at the end usually indicates a leased farm. Hagastuen with he also used is also the name of a farm, usually called Haga.

Edited by - AntonH on 23/01/2019 03:37:07
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9265 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2019 :  03:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This record from Ancestry.com would indicate that Mathea had a twin brother.

Christian Fredriksen
Name: Christian Fredriksen
Birth Date: 14 apr 1861
Baptism Date: 21 jul 1861
Baptism Place: Ringsaker, Hedmark, Norway
Father: Fredrik Christensen
Mother: Agnete Hansdr
FHL Film Number: 307213

Here is the original record, click number 97

He also used the last name of Poulson

Christian Frederick Poulson
1861–1950
BIRTH 14 APRIL 1861 • Ringsaker, Hedmark, Norway
DEATH 09 JANUARY 1950 • Canby, Yellow Medicine, Minnesota, USA

Edited by - AntonH on 23/01/2019 04:04:29
Go to Top of Page

dylankylesimon

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2019 :  03:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would Peter be his Firstname? Evensen his Middle Name and Marigaardseie his last name? Or is it like a complete different concept as we are use to it today?
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

Why he chose the last name of Simon might be a little difficult to discern. When he left his parish in Norway in 1870 he called himself Peter Evensen Marigaardseie. So it is likely that he adopted the last name of Simon either on his voyage or after he arrived in America. The farm name he was using complex. The farm is Mari, gaard is the Norwegian word for farm. eie at the end usually indicates a leased farm. Hagastuen with he also used is also the name of a farm, usually called Haga.

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9265 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2019 :  04:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A different concept;. Treat the farm name like an address. It can change if the person moves to a different farm for work. In that case he might use the first name Peter the name Evensen after his father and the name of the farm he was working on..

An example from my ancestors. My great grandfather was baptized Olaf. His father was Lars and he was born on the Høgeli farm. So in some records he is called Ole Larsen, in some records he was called Ole Larsen Høgeli and even a few times just Ole Høgeli. When he worked on a nearby farm called Skjæggdal he was listed as Ole Larsen Skjæggdal. Made it a little hard too find him from time to time
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9265 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2019 :  04:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps Mathea's mother FAG

Angette H Poulson
in the U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-CurrentName: Angette H Poulson
Birth Date: 20 Nov 1820
Death Date: 9 Dec 1902
Cemetery: Castlewood Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Castlewood, Hamlin County, South Dakota, United States of America
Has Bio?: N

I think there is more than one Ole Poulson with wife Agnette in the midwest at the same time. Perhaps a separate family located in Wisconsin.

Edited by - AntonH on 23/01/2019 04:30:30
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9265 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2019 :  04:45:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is Agnette Hansdatter and her twins in the 1865 Census

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article