All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Juho Juuso Lukkari from Finland
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kyllonsoin
Starting member

Finland
13 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2021 :  22:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandmom`s oldest brother Juho Juuso Lukkari 11.12.1883 was travelled from Hanko Finland 13.12.1905 to Britain and then to Usa. He boat was first SS Arcturus Gunard Line and then Saxonia to Michigan (Ishpeming?) Usa. Juho`s passnumber was 981.
Something happend to Juho, because he died 28.7.1908 only 22 yeard old in USA.
I am making my heritage and I`m interesting to know how Juho was died. Was he sick or maybe something happend?
Can someone help me and my cousins.

Sointu Kyllönen

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2021 :  03:14:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a number of Finnish language newspapers at Chronicling America. I realize that this one isn't your relative but thought you might enjoy the look:
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn93060356/1934-03-29/ed-1/seq-1/>

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn93060356/1934-03-29/ed-1/seq-1/#date1=1777&index=0&rows=20&words=Juho+Lukkari&searchType=basic&sequence=0&state=Michigan&date2=1963&proxtext=juho+lukkari&y=7&x=8&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

There are also Finnish papers at the mnhs.org newspaper hub.

Here on the Saxonia at Boston:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:23FD-QP1

He's headed to his uncle Kalle Lukkari probably in Ishpeming?

The uncle, maybe? https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/186378936/kalle-lukkari

Good luck!

Edited by - jkmarler on 16/08/2021 03:31:24
Go to Top of Page

Kyllonsoin
Starting member

Finland
13 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2021 :  07:35:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!
You are right. Kalle Lukkari was Juho`s uncle. It`s a new thing. It was reading in a passenger list. Juho Lukkari in a finnish newspaper wasn`t the same person. I find if Juho`s last place is in Ishpeming crematory like Kalle, but I din`t find.
Thank`s a lot of. I will tell to my cousins.
By Sointu Kyllönen

Sointu Kyllönen
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2021 :  18:25:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, the name Maki is fairly common here amongst Finnish. Maki = Hill so you also find lots of Finns named Hill and maybe in Finland they were Maki. They changed their name to make it easy for Yankee Americans to know them. What does Lukkari mean and is it the same name as Lukkarila or Lukkarinen?

Is this the uncle Kalle? The father's name is Erik, is that the right name?
https://michiganology.org/uncategorized/IO_81852137-bb2c-41d3-9e52-b9bb9ea917f4/

Edited by - jkmarler on 16/08/2021 18:58:10
Go to Top of Page

Kyllonsoin
Starting member

Finland
13 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2021 :  22:03:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, you are right. Https:…. There is the same Kalle Lukkari. He had senile dementia, mistakes in heart and bronkhites. His father was Erik. I try to find also Juho Lukkari from the same page, but I don`t find. You ask also Hill is Mäki in finnish. Yes it is. Lukkari means cantor on church people. He helps other peolpe during a church time. He can put numbers of songs for examble. Lukkari is not same than Lukkarinen or Lukkarila in finnsh #128516;.

Bye Sointu Kyllönen

Sointu Kyllönen
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2021 :  01:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The exercise was to see if he might be named something else. Did look at Finlander Cantor and there were a couple but none seems to be Juho.

So a new tack is what source do you have that Juho died in 1908? Was it in a letter, or a Bible or what?. Hoping that there might be a clue.

A lot of Finlanders in Michigan were miners. Mining is a very rugged and harsh way to make a living. Another occupation would be in the forests in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Washington state, and Oregon.
Go to Top of Page

Kyllonsoin
Starting member

Finland
13 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2021 :  13:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello
Now I find when Juho Lukkari died. It wasn`t 1908. Juho died 28.6.1906. I find right day from a big familybook. It`s also in Finland`s chirch documents. Maybe Juho was a miner when he was in Michigan. Juho had 5 brothers and 3 sisters. One sister was my fathers mom. Juho was oldest son. His youngist brother was born 1902. One brother died also very young. I have found 3 second cousins on this summer. It was very happy days.
I`m also waiting more news, if it`s possible.
Bye, Sointu Kyllönen

Sointu Kyllönen
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2021 :  03:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That his death is recorded in Finland is a little bit curious. Does it just say America or are there more details such as a place or a cause of death?

Was Juho a musician or actor?

Here is a long shot, a news article dated Monday 12 Feb 1906, published in the Duluth News Tribune page 5 "Finnish Band to Present a Drama" Eveleth 11 Feb byline "The Finnish Band of Eveleth is preparing for the presentation of a four act drama in Urania Hall, next Sunday. In the cast of characters are the following names: M Raski, M Tikkura, O Yrjola, M Granad, H Parkonen, P Hirtanen, H Koski, J Kangas, F Kala, M Maki, H Palli, J Lukkari."

In the Michiganology site, I did a search for any and all deaths occurring on 28 June 1906 in Michigan, there were 78. There were no Lukkari, no Juho but if he changed his name to something else entirely, they might be worth a look to eliminate that possibility.
Go to Top of Page

Kyllonsoin
Starting member

Finland
13 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2021 :  15:14:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don’t know, was Juho a musician. Or songmusician? In Geni, the other familyprogram was Juho’s deathday 28.6.1906. Sometimes there is mistakes in numbers of months and what daith it happend. Is that possible to find only the year 1906 or 1907 or 1908? You have sent to me many answers. I’m very happy.
When I was young, I knew only Juho’s sister Lyydi, my fathersmom. It has been very interrsting to lean, that Lyydi had many sisters. I have got many old fotos from my second cousins. It has been like to make a puzzle of history. I have seen TV-program ”Missing familyperson”. Now I can feel the same feelings when I met my second cousins.

Bye Sointu Kyllönen

Sointu Kyllönen
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2021 :  17:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are "L" transcribed burials in city of Ishpeming Michigan :
https://ishpemingcity.org/?wpfb_dl=779

There was a Thomas John Lukkari b about 1882 in Finland, he usually is recorded as John, who lived near Duluth, Minnesota in 1920, 1940 and 1910. He died in 1943.

Coming late in 1905 your Juho died after about 6 months (or about 2 1/2 years if its in 1908) in US. He will have missed mid decade (1905) state censuses which are usually conducted in the spring and summer months. Unless he's recorded in newspapers, US church records, or state, county, or city level records, 6 months to 30 months is not a lot of time to leave a mark in the records here. But it would probably do you a service to get your hands on the actual record in the Finland church registers that mention his death, to make sure that every detail there is captured.

Here is a Finnish church's records in Worldcat for Ishpeming Michigan. It does have funeral registers. You will probably have to contact staff for assistance and it appears that there might also be microfilm of the registers in Finland.
https://www.worldcat.org/title/records-1897-1970/oclc/62805112

Here is a Finnish American heritage organization. Lots of indices there but you might also have to contact staff:
https://www.finlandia.edu/archive/

Another Finnish American heritage place:
http://www.fahs-ct.org/exhibits.html
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2021 :  19:35:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyllonsoin

When I was young, I knew only Juho’s sister Lyydi, my fathersmom. It has been very interrsting to lean, that Lyydi had many sisters. I have got many old fotos from my second cousins. It has been like to make a puzzle of history. I have seen TV-program ”Missing familyperson”. Now I can feel the same feelings when I met my second cousins.

Bye Sointu Kyllönen

That is called "joy of discovery."
Go to Top of Page

Kyllonsoin
Starting member

Finland
13 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2021 :  10:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello
Now I have got when Juho Lukkari died. It was 24.6.1906 in America. (Not 28.6.1906) It was in Finnish church register. Juho’s family lived in Sotkamo in the middle on Finland. I call to church register to Kuopio.
Maybe that’s all. I must correct the day to my familytree -program to find.
Thank’s for you. It has been very interesting process for me

In Finland we have a lot of raining. This summer was very warm. I hope that the covid is gone.
Have a nice days! Bye Sointu Kyllönen

PS. I read also later this forum if somebody send more news.#128516;#128075;#128075;

Sointu Kyllönen
Go to Top of Page

Kyllonsoin
Starting member

Finland
13 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2021 :  10:33:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again
Juho died 24.8.1906. This is ringh day!

Bye, Soontu Kyllönen

Sointu Kyllönen
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2021 :  02:17:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay so these are the online places I've looked for Juho Lukkari and not found him
:
North Dakota Public Death Index (not found)
Minnesota People Finder (not found except John Lukkari noted before)
Minnesota Digital newspaper hub
Chronicling America (Juho Lukkari in 1934 paper)
GenealogyBank.com (for Juho Lukkari-1934 listing only; for Juho and for Lukkari but only possible result is the J Lukkhari mentioned before)
Familysearch.org (two Juho Lukkari's migration records--the other born about 1881 traveling in 1903 to his brother Frenny Kovjunker sp? in Marquette, Mich)
Iron Range Research center (naturalizations, obits, alien surveys etc)
Manitoba vital stats web page (no positive result)
Michiganology.org (several searches, filtered to only first name, only to death dates only with no positive result)
Washington State Secretary of State digital archives: no positive result

Go to Top of Page

Kyllonsoin
Starting member

Finland
13 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2021 :  18:32:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I understand. Thank’s a lot of for you! Many wishes from us!
Bye Sointu from Oulu

Sointu Kyllönen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article