All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Simon's Family Tree
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

dylankylesimon

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2022 :  04:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tore, I actually also have not one DNA match from Norway on Ancestry.com - Is it not used in Norway? Which DNA tests are commonly used in Norway?

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7427 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2022 :  16:13:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dylankylesimon

quote:
Originally posted by ToreL

But why would you compare DNA with Hans' descendants? He was a brother of Peter Simon, right? So a positive match would only prove that noone was deceived?

But, as I said above, Peder Olsen Nymoen appears to have a good share of descendants in a purely paternal line. Here is a page showing his son Andreas' offspring a little into the ineteen hundreds: https://ibb.co/ngVjyqG

Added all of the Smedshammer Family to my Family Tree. Also, added and messaged R. Smedshammer and added O. Smedshammer, both sons of Arvid. If we somehow can manage to get a DNA test done or someone in their family already did, that would be a big find.

Rune Smedshammer was still working at Ringerikes Blad in 2021 age 62! Search at www.1881.no for mailing address and phone. There are two Rune but take the one in Honefoss.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7427 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2022 :  02:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by dylankylesimon

Tore, I actually also have not one DNA match from Norway on Ancestry.com - Is it not used in Norway? Which DNA tests are commonly used in Norway?

It seems to me that my mother told after her trip to Ringerike in 1986 that there were some local legends among the people there were some Finn ancestry on certain farms in Ringerike.

Edited by - jkmarler on 16/08/2022 02:27:32
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
695 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2022 :  07:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe Ftdna might be the most widely used dna test provider in Norway, perhaps partly due to Norgesprosjektet: https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/norway/about/background

It also seems to me that Norwegians tend to build their trees on MyHeritage rather than Ancestry; there are lots of commercials here for the first and none for the latter.
Go to Top of Page

dylankylesimon

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2022 :  02:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

quote:

quote:

But why would you compare DNA with Hans' descendants? He was a brother of Peter Simon, right? So a positive match would only prove that noone was deceived?

But, as I said above, Peder Olsen Nymoen appears to have a good share of descendants in a purely paternal line. Here is a page showing his son Andreas' offspring a little into the ineteen hundreds: https://ibb.co/ngVjyqG

Added all of the Smedshammer Family to my Family Tree. Also, added and messaged R. Smedshammer and added O. Smedshammer, both sons of Arvid. If we somehow can manage to get a DNA test done or someone in their family already did, that would be a big find.

Rune Smedshammer was still working at Ringerikes Blad in 2021 age 62! Search at www.1881.no for mailing address and phone. There are two Rune but take the one in Honefoss.

Thank you! I added him on Facebook and messaged him, but we will see if he responds!

quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

quote:

It seems to me that my mother told after her trip to Ringerike in 1986 that there were some local legends among the people there were some Finn ancestry on certain farms in Ringerike.

Well, maybe we can confirm one of those legends! I will try my best!

quote:

I believe Ftdna might be the most widely used dna test provider in Norway, perhaps partly due to Norgesprosjektet: www.familytreedna.com/groups/norway/about/background" target="_blank">https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/norway/about/background

It also seems to me that Norwegians tend to build their trees on MyHeritage rather than Ancestry; there are lots of commercials here for the first and none for the latter.

Alright, Tore! As per your recommendation, I just ordered:

• Big Y-700 $399.00
  • mtFull Sequence $130.00

Will keep you up to date on the stages!

Edited by - dylankylesimon on 17/08/2022 02:40:05
Go to Top of Page

dylankylesimon

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2022 :  01:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DNA Test of my granduncle (great-grandson of Peter and Mathea) came back and listed Mathea's and Peter's Birth Locations! If that isn't a confirmation, then what is?

Peter in Norderhov, Buskerud County
Mathea in Ringsaker in Hedmark/Hedemarken

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article