All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 *Johan’s genealogical study #3*
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
817 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2023 :  21:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting finds, those golden anniversary announcements- And the date June 7 1894 matches the original wedding date in 1844. How does the talk about Danish origin agree with previous findings? The Kristiansand newspaper (but not the Oslo one) says that Ole's parents came from Denmark, which (given Jackies findings above) could make sense for Ole's mother Karen Lovise, but what about Ole's father Niels? I notice that at Ole's older brother Hans Elias' baptism in 1817 (#58, Anne Maria Ørn is listed among the witnesses, which, if Niels was a Danish immigrant, would mean that some other member of the Danish family was there at the baptism as well?

Perhaps there are other, stronger evidence placing Niels' ancestry i Norway (Årdal!!) so that the claim about Denmark should be taken to apply only to Karen Lovise???
Go to Top of Page

johanAronsen63

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2023 :  22:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The talk about Danish origin agrees with previous findings in the sense that we can't find a Karen Lovise Nielsdotter Eliesen born in Norway in those times (which might be because of the loss of records over time). In other words, it is only speculation that she was Danish and she could've been Norwegian or Swedish in actuality. I, too, find it strange that the newspaper says that his parents are Danish since we know that the Øhrns most likely came from Norway and more specifically, Årdal. Maybe it is only talking about Karen Lovise. But, it's still very odd.

Also, I was looking at Niels Olsen Øhrn's father's side to try and find out if there was any Danish immigrant in his family line. His father was also named Ole, born in Norway. But, his mother was named Elsebet Larsdatter 'Myhra' (b. around 1760 presumably dying around 1805). I don't know where she's from and who her parents were. Maybe she was Danish, thus making Niels' son, Ole, Danish on both sides through his grandmothers.

Edited by - johanAronsen63 on 01/05/2023 23:30:51
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2023 :  03:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me the issue is how and why did Karen Lovise Eliasen get to Kongsberg if she is the candidate in Denmark?

There are a number of Anna Poulsdatters who died in the early 1800s in Copenhagen but as far as I could see, no Birthe Kirstine nor Karen Lovise Eliasen.

The thing about the newspaper articles it sounds like they were actually interviewed for it so you do have the possibility that the Danish relationship is real, at least in Ole's mind and memory.
Go to Top of Page

johanAronsen63

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2023 :  17:00:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about Elsebet Larsdatter “Myhra”? Is there proof that she was born in Norway? According to other records, she was born around 1760, but it doesn’t say where. I wonder if she was Danish or Swedish…?

Edited by - johanAronsen63 on 09/05/2023 21:52:22
Go to Top of Page

johanAronsen63

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2023 :  21:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don’t know how likely it is that she was Danish…
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2023 :  22:30:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Confirmation record of Elsebet Larsdatter:
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/279/pk00000000674067

Transcript says she is "fra Bragernes" which is the big church in Drammen.

A possible bapt 15 Jan 1762 Elsebet Lærsdatter:
Bragernes kirkebøker, SAKO/A-6/F/Fa/L0005: Ministerialbok nr. I 5, 1759-1781, s. 192-193
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20061215640360

Edited by - jkmarler on 10/05/2023 22:36:38
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article