Eskimo, Wilson Line steamship in Norwegian waters
Support Norway Heritage: Purchase a copy
The "Eskimo" was built by Earle's Shipbuilding in Hull 1910.
Tonnage: 3,326 tons gross, 2,536 under deck and 1,632 net.
Bridge 176 feet long and Forecastle 36 feet long. Rigging: steel twin screws Schooner; 3
decks and water ballast. She was fitted with
electric light, wireless and submarine signaling device.
Propulsion: quadruple expansion engines
with 8 cylinders of 20, 28, 39 1/2 &
57 inches diameter each pair; stroke 33 inches; 373 nominal horsepower. The engine was built by the same company as the hull.
In 1914 she was taken over
by the Royal Navy, renamed H.M.S. Eskimo. returned to Wilson line in 1915.
Captured July 26 - 1916, by the German Auxiliary Cruiser Mowe, at Risør
Norway. Returned to the company in 1919. Sold to French owners in 1921, and
scrapped in 1929. Call sign: HRBN. Official registration #: 129266