The Telegraph was built in 1853 at Amsterdam. It was bought by W Konow of Bergen in 1864, and by Jacob Pettersen in 1868. In 1869 it was sold to H. Smith of Horten. Her burden was 170½ Norwegian Commercial lasts
In 1866 the bark Telegraph departed from Trondheim on June 2nd, and arrived at Quebec on July 22nd. She was sailing in ballast and was carrying 119 steerage passengers and 14 cabin passengers. Four passengers died on the voyage. Two of them from bronchitis, and one from debility. On July 6, son of Lars E. Rømbek 35, and Johanne 24 died, on July 23, infant child of Peder Ersen [?] 30, and Christine 29 died, and on June 7, Stine 43, wife of Isak A. Peidas [?] 31died. There were 2 births, on July 3, a child was born to P. Johan O. Romsdal 21, and Maren 28, this child died on July 19. On June 25, a child was born to G. Bentsen 35, and Bergithe 35. The Telegraph was mastered by Capt. Nicolaysen from Bergen, and had a crew of 15.