All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Meaning of Surname?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Misanthropist84
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  19:34:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I've been going absolutely crazy trying to figure out what my surname means in Norwegian. It's originally spelled "Sætre" in Norway, but when my grandpa came here to America they changed it to "Sather". I just found out actually, that these surnames actually have meaning and I was wondering if anyone could help me out? That would be great and I thank you for your help! -Andrea

(If you need anymore information, I'd be more than happy to assist)

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  20:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is what O. Rygh have for one of the Sætre farms:

Setr n., Bosted (Indl. S. 74). Nutidsformen er Dat. Ent., som ogsaa
haves i Navnets ældste bevarede Form

It will translate to something like "settlement" or "homestead"
Go to Top of Page

Misanthropist84
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  14:27:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks. Yeah, I decided to ask a cousin in Volda about it and this is what he said : " A Seter, Sæter, Sæther, etc. is a mountain summer pasture. Many farms had a seter associated with them. During the winter the cows, sheep, goats, etc. would be near the main farmstead, but once the weather got nice, the livestock and the milkmaids (or goatboys or whatever young people were put to the task) took the livestock to the higher country, where they could graze in the wild. It is still done this way in Norway today, bears taking a toll on the sheep, etc.
There at the summer seter, cows would be milked, cheese made, and even the brown cheese cooked down to a thick consistency. This allowed the hay around the main house to grown and be harvested, dried on the drying fences and stored and saved for winter fodder.
Sometimes a neighborhood shared a seter, or sometimes it was above a certain farm."

I was also wondering, about how far back would I be able to trace my ancestry? I know I have enough information to get going, but I don't know where to start, or if the internet is the best place to do it.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  15:04:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
the description you gave is how the name seter is understood today.
The old book "Norwegian Farm Names" by Olaf Rygh gives a translation of almost all farm names in Norway, and what the name origianally ment. O. Rygh: Norw. farm names

The easiest way to start is by looking into the online norwegian censuses, from 1801, 1865 and 1900. They can be found here.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2003 :  20:00:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Jan points out here is a very important thing to take to consideration regarding old names in Norway - they are actually very old some of them, and the original meaning is often different from what might fall natural to assume today. I am sure we could come up with quite a few examples on unexpected meaning of common Norwegian old names.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article