All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Nils Pedersen family, Sesseng farm in Selbu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2003 :  06:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Debra Don't get discouraged, we were all beginners at one time and it took a lot of trial and error to get the experiance and sometimes it is just luck to find information.
As to Lesswig it would have been spelled like we hear it and the spelling in Norway could be very different. Wig would be either vig or vik. Lesswig would most likely be the farm he lived on since that was part of the Norwegian name.The Nils I found lived on the Bakkene farm so he would be called Nils Pedersen Bakkene, In the 1865 census he lived on the Sesseng farm so he was called Nils Pedersen Sesseng. Being on two different farms also shows that he moved at least once so he could have moved to another farm after 1875. Read Børge's article on "Those Norwegian Names" The link is on the main page.
If you have access to the LDS you should get the parish records for Selbu and prove or disprove that this is the correct family, like finding Ingeborg's birth record. Sometimes the information comes easy sometimes not but you are getting the pieces and they will all come together.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2003 :  09:07:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we can say for sure that "Lesswig" is not the correct spelling in Norway. The reason for this is that there are no farms by that name in Norway, even if you put in "vik" or "vig". - L and S can often look quite similar in old handwriting, so is there any possibility that the first part of the name should actually read "Sess" rather than "Less" - and what about the last part - could it be "eng" not "wig"? Just some thoughts from my side, maybe you could provide a scan for us to see the actual writing?
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2003 :  09:24:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BINGO!

Found her in the emigration records for Trondhjem: Ingeborg N. Sesseng departing from Trondheim August 21 - 1896 for Halstad Minn. She was going with the Thingvalla Line via Christiania. She traveled on the S/S Hekla. Here is the Ellis Island arrival.

Edited by - Borge on 31/10/2003 10:11:21
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2003 :  09:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lesswig could sound like Leksvik..., maybe Nils was from the Leksvik area in Sør Trøndelag county, just outside Trondheim?

Jan
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2003 :  12:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Sesseng farm in Selbu, Sør-Trøndelag county, in different censuses:

1900-census

1875-census (Bakkene)

1865-census

Btw; I think we should give some honor to Carla, she found the farm in the 1875-census yesterday...!

Jan

Edited by - jwiborg on 31/10/2003 12:51:47
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2003 :  13:10:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again,
if you look at the Emigranter fra Trondheim 1867-1930, you'll find several people named Sesseng from the Selbu (old:Selbo) area.

One Nils Nilsen Sesseng emigrated to Brainerd Minn. on Mar 28.1900. Ellis Island record shows him going to "brother Jon Nilsen". Nils is listed as "Nils Sessing"

Could Nils and Jon be brothers to Ingeborg and Anna?

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2003 :  17:49:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg
Btw; I think we should give some honor to Carla, she found the farm in the 1875-census yesterday...!

Jan

Thanks Jan but it is always a group effort. It's amazing how everything comes together once that one little connection is made.
This sure looks like a match, I hope Debra can find Ingeborg in the parish records and connect her to Nils and Kari.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2003 :  18:48:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
yes, thats through, it's often a team effort which put the big puzzle together...
And without the BINGO! from Borge, the search could have continued for a loooong time...

LDS have marriage and christening records from Selbu, 1843-1859:

Niels PEDERSEN, Age At Marriage: 28, Birth: <1826>, Father: Peder NIELSEN
Spouse: Kari JONASDR, Age At Marriage: 23
Marriage: 17 Jul 1854, Place: Selbu, Sor-Trondelag, Norway
(Source Information: Batch Number: M426443, Source Dates: 1843-1859, Film or Fiche Number: 307012, Collection Details: Selbu; Den Norske Kirke.)

Peder <NIELSEN> Birth: 12 Jan 1856, Christening: 20 Mar 1856, Place: <Selbu, Sor-Trondelag, Norway>
Father: Niels PEDERSEN Mother: Kari JONASDR

Kari <NIELSDATTER>
Birth: 16 Mar 1859, Christening: 21 Apr 1859 Place: <Selbu, Sor-Trondelag, Norway>
Father: Niels PEDERSEN Mother: Kari JONASDR

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2003 :  19:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

Hi,
yes, thats through, it's often a team effort which put the big puzzle together...
And without the BINGO! from Borge, the search could have continued for a loooong time...

The easy part was left to me , without Carla's results from the census I would probably not have found her. When studying local history at the university in Trondheim, my supervisor was professor Kjell Haarstad, the author of the Selbu books. I remmeber reading in them, they are packed with Selbu genealogy - let's see who can find them at the library first
Go to Top of Page

Debra

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2003 :  19:48:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW!! I got on here just a couple of minutes ago and it was like Christmas!! Thanks all of you. I have some searching to do (I always look at everything you all give me to look at first). I was looking for the wrong names yesterday hoping to find some of those from the census with no luck. You all know where to look, guess I am just too new although I do read a lot about genealogy, you all are experienced, thanks so much. I can't wait to tell my sister as she calls every day wondering what all I have found out. The Ingeborg going to Halstad really sounds right as I found out through all my searching and contacting family that poor Anna died in the Anoka County Insane Asylum in 1926. She was married to Ole Halstad the year after coming to America and he died in 1903 (which you all helped me find too) and she had five kids with Ole since coming to America plus he had 5 or 6 before that--something happened to her and she was taken out of the home and died all those years later in the asylum which just kills me and my sister feeling so sorry for her. Anyway, I bet that Ingeborg, my grandmother, came to help her with the family and that would make sense that she was going to Halstad!! It is starting to come together as I hear stories from family members (Halstad's) and you all are finding the facts! Wow, this is quite exciting. I am quite emotionally involved with this story now though as I am feeling terribly sorry for Anna coming to a strange country and then being taken away after she maybe just can't take all the kids and her husband dying! Poor thing! From her death certificate is where I got the names and they were typed on so there would be no mistaking that but being it was 'authorities' or guardians or whatever you called them back then, who knows where they got their information but I would think it was from the paperwork from Anna as she had just been here about ten years before being 'taken away'!! I am considering getting what was wrong with her investigated too (for health reason too for future generations). My sister and I think she just cracked up with stress though. We had wondered if maybe Grandmother hadn't come and helped her as the dates made sense--Grandmother got married a year or so after Anna would have gone in to the asylum. Wow, this story is really getting interesting but I sure wish I could have been there to help poor Anna, she must have been so afraid here! Now back to checking out what you have all found, thanks so much!!!
Debra
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2003 :  20:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again, Debra,
Touching story! I really think we've found the right persons this time, but only the parish records will tell for sure.

I'm not sure if you know about the famous Belle Gunnes, but she was also from the little town of Selbu...

Her original name was Brynhild Paulsdatter Storset, born in Selbu in 1859. She emigrated to the US in 1881.

You'll find a lot of info about her on the Net, one of them is here.

Jan

Edited by - jwiborg on 31/10/2003 20:28:58
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2003 :  22:42:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Debra,
some more news from Selbu!

I just got a call from a man living in Selbu. He have looked up the Selbu Bygdebok - Selbu i fortid og nåtid. ("Selbu in the past and present".)
Volume VII (page 16-17) covers the Sesseng farm.

The Bygdebok states that there was a girl named Ingeborg on the Sesseng farm, and that she emigrated to the US in 1896! It also list her sister Anne, but no emigration info about her. I believe he said birthyear was listed as "1877" for Ingeborg, but it must be the right person!

Ingeborg parents:
  • Nils Pedersen, born 1825 - dead March 11th 1902.
  • Kari Jonasdatter, born 1831 - dead January 25th 1885.

So Ingeborg must have lost her mother when she was only 6 years old...

Jan

Btw; Both Nils and Kari's ancestors can be traced back several hundred years in Selbu, according to the Bygdebok...

Edited by - jwiborg on 31/10/2003 22:50:21
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  00:59:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have gotten information from the online Selbu link but have also been helped by a volunteer looker-upper, Floie Vane, who has the complete set of Selbu Farm Books.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~mnlacqui/lookups.htm

The Sons of Norway was established in Minneapolis in 1895 and the majority of the founders were from Selbu.
Go to Top of Page

Debra

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  05:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again for all the information. I tried looking up a couple of things but everything was in Norwegian so I need to do something else or go back and forth to the dictionary? Also, when you say for me to look up the Parish records, does that mean going to the actual LDS place literally and not on the Internet? I have never done that so not sure what to do. I think we have one here in my city but I have never gone there, not sure what I need to do or whatever. I have only done lookups on the Internet, gotten information from everyone else and done tons of looking up people on Ancestry.com and LDS. I have also sent for lots of information through Historical Societies and stuff like that but I am not real familiar with what else I should be doing. You all seem to find so much information and I have no idea where! I love getting it but wish I could do more. I would NEVER have thought of all this stuff you come up with to find the name and all. I know about the farm names but how did you know wher to even start? I am thankful for all your help though, I just feel so stupid right now as I don't know where to go next.

And Jan, you said the families can be traced back hundreds of years, how do I do that or does someone else have to do it for me? I guess I am showing my ignorance in genealogy right now but I am so excited to find out everything and yet feel so dumb! I know I need to find these people here in the US too and haven't had much luck with that either. Of course I was looking under Nelson which I think they went by but now I am not so sure. I would also like to know for sure if those are Grandmother's brothers and find them here too. I have been trying to find the whole family here but so far nothing other than Anna and Grandmother on the census. I wish I could find Sarah and Mary and the brothers if those are hers. There was also that other Kari I believe?

Anyway, thanks so much for all the help. I wish I knew more what to do. How do I find out more about those Selbu books or book or whatever and would that help me? I did write an email to that lady on the Minnesota site to ask her if she could help me although my ancestors did not settle in that county.

Guess I will go to bed now and work on this more tomorrow. It seems I work for hours looking up things and find nothing and you all can find everything for me lol.
Debra
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  10:37:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Debra,
I got the information about the ancestors from the man who called me. He was not related to this family, but I believe the book stated so. It could be just a sentence in the book saying "the family can be traced back several hundred years to this farm..."

From the link Jo Anne wrote, you can find one Floie Vane who can do lookups in the Selbu farm books.
I'm not sure if she will charge you ore not...
I believe Borge was going to the library as well...?

About the parish lookup, I ment the actual churchbook for Selbu for 1878 (christening) or 1892-94 (confirmation). That will give you the prove you need, allthough I think we have enough based on the farm book. The churchbook could give you the correct birthdate.

http://www.familysearch.org/ does not contain the Selbu church for this period, so you'll have to look into the microfims at a local library or LDS center. You should try that, if you feel like working for a detective agency...
If you go to the LDS center, I'm sure someone will guide you there. Just say that you're looking for Ingeborg Nilsdatter's christening/birth records. She is christened in Selbu church, Sor Trondelag county, Norway, about 1878.

When you know the approx. date and churchbook, it's pretty straight forward to find the records. The books are off course written in Norwegian, but the names should be understandable...

About Ingeborgs family; I guess the Selbu farm book contains all brothers and sisters of her, but I did not ask for that in the call.
The reason I got this call in first place, is that I put up a lookup for Ingeborg on Digitalarkivet. He did not have access to the churchrecords (people might have microfilm copies at home), but he had the farm books.

Jan

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article