All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Selbu and Malvik churches/Neils Pedersen family
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Debra

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2004 :  18:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I haven't been on here for a while but now have a new problem to be solved. So many on here have helped me so much I am again hoping someone will come up with the answers I need.

My family was found on the Sesseng farm (cotters) and I got the names and birthdays and most information on here about them which I was very grateful (see queries about Neils Pedersen family on Sesseng farm). After that someone from Norway has helped me a lot by getting the church records and sending me the information he found. The problem I am having is that I understand the Sesseng farm is in Selbu and the records should be from the Selbu church. There is something I am not understanding as I believe the records he got were from the Malvik church. I know the records for Marit (Grandmother's sister) and Severin Hommelviktrų's wedding were from the Malvik records and I believe the rest of the family's were there too? Is that possible? Why would their records be there when they lived on the Sesseng farm from the time they married (Neils and Kari) until after the 1900 census (Neils was still on Sesseng farm in 1900).

Could someone please help me to understand how this could be? The people on here have really helped in the past with this family so I am hoping from all that research for me that maybe someone will know where their records would be and if Malvik could even be involved at all. I know I have to be misunderstanding something somewhere because I am so new at all this.

Thanks for any help you can give as I am very confused right now. If more information is needed, please let me know. I just knew this was going to be long enough without explaining about the whole family again.
Deb

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2004 :  19:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Debra,
this doesn't make sence, so I guess there must be some kind of misunderstanding here...
People living at the Sesseng farm "belonged" to the Selbu church, and all records such as birth, christening, confirmation, wedding and death should normally be found in the Selbu church records.

What kind of records are you talking about? And who's records? And why do you believe they are from the Malvik church? Are they original copies? And what year? Death records could be from the Malvik church, if they have moved to Malvik.

If Niels Pedersen lived on the Sesseng farm all his life, I would assume he was buried there as well, and those records should also be in the Selbu church.

But Marit moved to Hommelvik/Malvik, and her wedding records are of course in the church she got married (Malvik).

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Debra

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2004 :  20:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for responding so quickly Jan. Here is the email (part of it that is important to this thread) from the person in Norway who has helped me so much. Maybe he didn't mean that the other records he found (about the rest of the family other than Marit) were from the Malvik church but he never mentioned the Selbu church? He just mentioned getting the Malvik records in a previous email.

Someone on the other Norway list mentioned that the Sesseng farm wasn't in Selbu either. That got me really confused. I think I am just misunderstanding some information because I don't know the area and am so new at all this.

(snip from emails from him)
To my opinion we now can be 100% sure that Marit Hommelvikstrų (+ husband Severin and children Johan and Marthe Jensine who emigrated from Trondheim in 1891 was your grandmother's sister.
I found the marriage record from Malvik church (which is Strinden parish) and it states that Marit was born 1862 in Selbo and that her father's name was Nils Pedersen.

Marit's and Anne's exodus (or Sigrid's for that matter) from Selbu is not in the Selbu emigration records. My interpretation of that is that it basically was not their intention to emigrate, they had only left Selbu find work elsewhere and Strinden is only a few hours of walking "over the hill" from Selbu. So technically, they emigrated from Strinden, not from Selbu, which is the reason for their emigration to America has not been recorded in Selbu.

The copy I had for Malvik church record did not have emigration records, Unfortunately.

------
These are the things I found:

Peder Nilsen born Jan 12.1856 - conf. Jun 16.1872
Marit Nilsdatter - born Feb 7.1862 - chr. Apr 17.1862
Anne Nilsdatter - born Aug 8 1868 - chr. Feb 28.1869
Sigrid Nilsdatter - born Apr 30.1873 - chr. Aug 3.1873
Ingeborg Nilsdatter born Sep 18.1877 - chr. Dec 26.1877

Jonas Nilsen born 1865 - conf. Jun 13.1880 - died Aug 18 from TB - buried Aug 21.1881

Kari Jonasdatter died Jan 25 1885 from a stroke - buried Feb 1.1885. (Born at Solem - died at Sesseng).

It also seems that Niels Peder and Kari Jonasdatter started to use "Sesseng as their "surname" around 1870, according to the children's birth records.
(end of snip from his email)

Also, someone on other list mentioned that they did not even see a Severin getting married in the Malvik reocrds, they couldn't find his name. That got me concenred too?

Thanks for any help. Because of all the duplicates of names and information, I just know things are ok but I am a bit concerned over some of this and would like it straightened out as far as churches and the primary records etc. I was using them for primary records of the family.
Deb

Go to Top of Page

Debra

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2004 :  04:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan, Thanks for the help. I think I hopefully understand. First of all, I did misunderstand the person who said Sesseng wasn't in Selbu. He just worded it so that is what I thought he said. The only problem now is knowing where the records really came from and hopefully I will hear from who helped me and he will say that they are from the Selbu church and not from the Malvik church. I know he got the Malvik records at the library but he never mentioned the Selbu books but he maybe just thought I would 'know' that? I am too new at this yet to figure everything out.

It was nice hering from you again though. I need to come up with a question every now and then just to hear from you. I am learning more and more but still get confused quite easily as you can see. People are great though and I am learning about the family.
Deb
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article