All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 How do I find out when my g g grandad came over?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sprogg
Starting member

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  22:28:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the information I have is not backed up, apparantly he was going from Norway to the US via Hull, but didn't get any further than Hull. He was married in Hull in 1905 and his fathers name was Martin but on the marriage certificate it says that he had passed away.
Tronheim has been mentioned in conversation but we aren't sure whether this is where he was from or what?
If anyone could help I would be very grateful I'm researching for my Grandmother and as her dad died when he was only 29 years old she didn't know much about that side of her family at all, thank you!

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  02:16:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please read the Posting Guidelines, do not double post . If you have additional information, continue it in the same thread.

That said, it appears you really need to do more research at home before trying to get back to Norway. Death certificates, census, obituaries, church records, relative's records, all these will give you clues. There are many excellent articles on this website that will help answer your research questions.
Go to Top of Page

sprogg
Starting member

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  11:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi! Thanks for the reply and Sorry about doudle posting!!
I'm not really sure what other information I can get hold of, non of the family can tell me anything else.
What other kind of information would help?
I've got his marriage certificate,
There is no mention of anyone by that name on the UK 1901 census, but I've got copies of the ones with his wife and her family on.
When they got married in 1905 they were both living at the same address which is where his wife lived with her family in the 1901 census.
I also know that he died within a year of his son Wilfred dying, (Wilfred, his dad Alfred/Halvdan Andraes and his son Stanley all died within a year of each other) but until I receive a copy of the certificates I'm not sure whether it's him or not as in 1905 on his marrige certificate his age was put down as 22 years and on the death certificates in 1935( there are two possibilities) one is aged 50 and the other 55, so neither of them match up.
When they got married in 1905 his job has been put down as a Mason and his father (Martin Olsen) who was deceased was a tanner
In October 1914 - they had a daughter Muriel, his job was a slateman.
In Nov 1915 -he had a 13 month old daughter (muriel)who died-it says that he was a flour mill labourer.
So non of his jobs are the same and if the death certificate doesn't match up when it arrives has anyone got any other, suggestions.

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  14:29:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps you can locate a genealogical society near you now or near where Halvdan lived - they should know what records would be available and how to find them. They might also have good advice about which records would possibly contain the most helpful information about his origins.
I checked the online databases for the Norwegian 1900 census and a few emigration registers for several ports - that would seem only to add to the confusion -- far more than one possible person matching those fairly broad search parameters.
Go to Top of Page

sprogg
Starting member

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  21:36:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone tell me if Alfred is the English version of Halvdan or Andreas
Go to Top of Page

sprogg
Starting member

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2004 :  13:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi! I followed your advice and I've been and spent some time with a family research person at Hull library (which is where he got married, lived and died).
He told me that the two main things that might beable to help, would be to see if he became a british citizen, there are only 70% of the records online and I can't travel to London to look at the other 30%, but there is no record I can find online.
The other thing was to find out who he was buried with to see if that gave any clues and unfortunatly it doesn't as he was buried with his wife and more of her family.
Has anyone got any more suggestions as I seem to be running out of options.
What other kind of information would help to find him on the pasanger list?
Go to Top of Page

Wendol
New on board

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2015 :  20:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Evening Shane,
I have just recently started researching my family tree on my fathers side and have noticed your post.
It looks like we may be researching the same person, My Great Grandfather, Halvdan Andreas Olsen (Alfred Olsen) married Miriam Townend in Kingston Upon Hull, and had 3 children, Wilfred, Harry & Ernest.
Ernest married Edith Louise Eyre, and they had three children, one of whom was my father. I think, from your posts, that your Grandmother may have been Wilfred's daughter? As according to our records, Wilfred died when he was 29.
Please could you contact me to let me know if any of this sounds familiar and whether you are still searching for information? I am trying to find more about the Olsen side of my family and don't seem to be able to find anything prior to Halvdan!
Many Thanks
Wendy
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2015 :  20:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wendol, now that you've posted you'll be able to use the private email function. Click on the intended recipient's username to find the email option.

So you are seeking the ancestry of

Halvdan Andreas Olsen born about 1883 in Norway
married Miriam Townend born about 1884
wed in 1905 in Kingston upon Hull, Yorkshire, England
Children:
Wilfred Olsen born 1905
Harry Olsen born 1909
Ernest

Sprogg said Halvdan Andreas Olsen had a father Martin.

Here is a candidate, pending more information about your Halvdan in England (such as information on his death and marriage and naturalization records):
BIRTH-BAPTISM
Church book at Bakklandet (Bakke)
Halvdan Andreas
born 22 Dec 1882
Father: Olaf Martin Iversen, residence Broveiten
Mother: Anna Serine Olsen, residence Indheredsvejen
Link to transcription

Link to churchbook record

This location is in Sĝr-Trĝndelag. Sprogg wrote, "Tronheim has been mentioned..." I believe the location in this birth-baptism record is part of the Trondheim metro area.

From Family Search website: "Bakklandet (Bakke) clerical district contains parish registers from Bakklandet (Bakke) parish. It included Lademoen (Lade) parish until 1908. The two parishes were separated from Strinda clerical district in 1846. Bakklandet (Bakke) became a parish in Trondheim city by law of 1863."

Edited by - JaneC on 18/12/2015 01:02:02
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2015 :  21:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A possible candidate born in Bergen 1883
Parents; Nils Andreas Olsen Helle and Gurine Karine Olsen, see the1891 census

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 17/12/2015 21:25:44
Go to Top of Page

Wendol
New on board

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2015 :  00:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good evening Jane,
Many thanks for your prompt reply, I have detailed all the information I have regarding Halvdan Andreas Olsen (Alfred Olsen) below.
Born around 1883 in Norway
Halvdan Andreas Olsen – changed his name to Alfred Olsen between 1883 and 1911 where I have found him on the 1911 census, he was living in Kingston upon Hull, England
He was married to Miriam Townend (1883 - ) in Kingston upon Hull, England
They had three children, Wilfred abt 1906, Harry abt 1909 & Ernest 1921.
Halvdan Andreas Olsen died in Sept 1933, in Kingston upon Hull
Wilfred died aged 29 (1934) after he had married Agnes Curtain (1907 - )
I do not have a lot of information regarding Harry Olsen other than born in Kingston upon Hull
Ernest Olsen born in Kingston upon Hull 08/01/1921 – 27/11/1978
Ernest Married Edith Louise Eyre (1923 – 1973)
If anyone can assist with this side of the family it would be appreciated.
Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Wendol
New on board

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2015 :  00:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also Thank you Kare.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2015 :  01:34:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay here is a potential Oluf Martin Iverson b. abt 1861 in Trondhjem in the 1865 census. (Olaf's birth year is given as 1861 for the baptismal of Halvdan Andreas given previously):

http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01038310013548
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2015 :  01:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay here's a long shot an Halvdan Andersen Selnes b 1883 heading to America in 1903:

http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/kb/uf/person/pu00000000119629

Edited by - jkmarler on 18/12/2015 01:53:19
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2015 :  02:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kċarto

A possible candidate born in Bergen 1883
Parents; Nils Andreas Olsen Helle and Gurine Karine Olsen, see the1891 census

Kċre

Here he is in 1900 Norwegian census:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01037335017240

What's a forlĉgger?
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2015 :  12:13:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forlĉgger, present forlegger - Publisher in English.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2015 :  12:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an example reg. Norwegian naming.
Nils Andreas Olsen, father Oluf Martin Iversen.
Nils Andreas Olufsen (he was Olufs son) perhaps changed to Nils Andreas Olsen in USA

Oluf, Olaf, Olav, Ole, Ola, almost the same.
In Sauherad Bygdebok Ole is consistently changed to Olav.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article