All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 Mariners
 Ole Brighton Sea Captain, son Charles Aufinson Bri
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

askeroi

Norway
299 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2004 :  23:09:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not convinced, but my friends at Digitalarkivet has come up with a possible suitable family:

father: Arnfin Olsen, 41 in 1854
mother: Sigrid Thomasdatter, 42
son: Ole Anfinsen, b. 1840
son: Thomas Anfinsen, b. 1842 (=Charles Brighton???)
daughter: Berit, 6:

http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=valdutfl&variabel=0&postnr=5727&fulle=true&spraak=n

And here's an additional daughter:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=sogndaap&variabel=0&postnr=63141&fulle=true&spraak=n

They moved around as you see, but disappear after 1854. Do you find them in any US/canadian cencus shortly after?

This is a very long shot, but every tip must be checked out in this case...

askeroi
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2004 :  02:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Ole S Brighton in the 1895 census is Ole S Bryngleson in the 1900 census immigrated in 1864 so it doesn't look too promising.
Far off long shot there is a Thomas Arnnfinson Christened Sept 18 1842, Father Anfin Olsen, mother Sigrid Thomasdtr Click Here probably unlikely but thought I would throw it into the mix
Carla
Oops looks like Askeroi got his post in while I was working on this. These must be the same individuals.

Edited by - Brining on 28/07/2004 02:18:33
Go to Top of Page

Ruthy
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2004 :  16:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the new leads guys! I am still trying to find information on "Uncle Ole." I have some new posts up on a U.S. forum of states and counties in Iowa and Wisconsin. Maybe someone will recognize the information. From what Charles told the pension investigator, Uncle Ole was not married, and died while he was gone in the calvary, but maybe Uncle Ole did get married and Charles had not know? I guess this is possible, especially if they had an argument.

Charles had fair complexion, light hair, blue or grey eyes, was about 5'6-5'7, slight build. There are several descriptions of him from troop mates (Army comrades). Two mentioned his nose! One said it was "slightly upturned" on the end, the other said "Slightly flattened" Hmmmm! One of his daughters was auburn haired, most of the granddaughters were blonde, or light brown and 5 of us gggrandkids are all red headed. We have always thought it came from his line, as the other lines are all dark haired. We are all fair complected. Charles's wife had an Irish father tho-

The Anfinson line, are any of them sailors? The one you mentioned? I was surprised when I read that when Charles chose the name Thomas- "For no particular reason" . It didn't make sense to me. He named one of his sons "Thomas O." Seems a connection or clue to me, don't you? That Thmas died at about 22 years though, so no wife or kids.

Go to Top of Page

askeroi

Norway
299 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2004 :  22:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have no knowledge about the Anfinsons occupation. And please do note the increpance in birth date in Thomas contra Charles.

But if (some of) these people appear as Brighton's in an american cencus your problem is solved. If you find them as Anfinsons we're back to square one...

But it's worth giving a try, don't you think?

askeroi
Go to Top of Page

Ruthy
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2004 :  17:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not having much luck with the US census, but still looking.
Go to Top of Page

Ruthy
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  18:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have been out of town on family trip. We came through the town where Charles and Charity Brighton got married in 1875. I looked in the library and local history office, but didn't find anything on him. I did find some information on the family his wife was living with at the time- am going to work on that lead this week. The town was small (3000) but the county/area is the site of what was the largest Norwegian community in the southern U.S. in the late 1800's. I will try and get a copy of the local history book.
Go to Top of Page

Ruthy
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2004 :  05:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found a new spelling that I'd like an opinion on...Please advise if this sounds plausible. I am still trying to sort out where "Brighton" could have come from. Could it be "Bredeson" in Norway? Would this make sense? I see an Ole Bredeson on immigration who went from Christiana to New York on board the Incognito. He was 27 yrs old. He arrived N.Y. Sept 13, 1852. Does anyone think this could be "Uncle Ole Brighton?" There is also a listing for an Ole Bredeson who arrived Wisconsin 1854 for Adams County Wisconsin (Naturalization records). Just checking possibilities. Thanks for opinions in advance!
Go to Top of Page

Ruthy
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2004 :  21:32:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still digging! Today, I found someone (Ole Nelsons- no relation to me that I know) who was born "Braten, Nord Aurdal, Oppland, Norway." At another site- Daughters of Norway, there was a query about an Ole Olson Rundbratten/Rundbraten and ref. to it being Rundbraten farm. Could this be where Brighton comes from?

I did finally receive my answers to my death certificate requests for Charles A. Brighton and his wife. There was no record at the state office for Charles, so I still have no burial location, and his wife's did not have any new information on it either-so still no names of parents for her.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article