All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Kiwi Vikings & Aussies
 Olverson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peter Wilson
Starting member

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2004 :  19:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read the description on Norwegian names. I understand the basics but I am still as confused as many others seem to be.
Oral history indicates my great grandfather (Thomas Wilson) was named Olsen.
A likely mathch from Australian archives is an Olverson.
Unfortunately no Olversons are recorded in the 19 Century Noewegian Census.
Was there an insert in the middle of the name?
ie Olsen Ol - ver - sen?
The home port of the ship he deaserted was Tvedestrand.
He initially worked in South Australia as a farm labourer so he may have had a farming background.
Information on marriage and birth certificates is contradictory and uninformative. His father is recorded as Thomas Wilson also.

Comments would be appreciated.
Peter

Edited by - Peter Wilson on 29/11/2004 19:37:42

askeroi

Norway
299 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2004 :  21:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand your confusement. The rules were otherwise straight - the father's name + sen/son. But Ols(s)en/Ols(s)on is different. I hate it when someone's patronymicon is Olsen. Then his father could be named anything starting with Ol: Ole Ola, Olaf, Olav, Oluf, Olaus etc.

But Olver? I've never seen anybody really named Olver. Could your source be missing the norwegian letter Ø - and the name be Ølver? It has never been a common name, but at least I've seen it. And Ølver's son would defintively NOT be an Olsen - he would certainly be an Ølversen. Could this be helping you?

I'm not quite shure what you mean by "19 Century Noewegian Census"? And depending on WHEN AND WHERE (in Norway) great grandfather lived, his father should either be an Ole/Ola etc OR an Olsen after his father (or grandfather) again.

There is one (and only one) Thomas Olsen (born 27. aug. 1900) in the 1900 cencus of Tvedestrand. If so his father was Jørgen Olsen (trading at the harbour) and his mother Maren married Olsen (houswife) born in Holt. The mentioned Anne Olsen (also born in Holt) is just visiting. Then comes the children Ole (Thomassen! - a half-brother??), Anne, Jens, Johan and Thomas Halfdan. A suitable candidate - unless your great grandfather left earlier (you don't say...)

But Olver(sen) sounds like it's wrong person...??

askeroi
Go to Top of Page

Peter Wilson
Starting member

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  18:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Askeroi,
Thank you. You have cleared up one line of enquiry. It is obviously the wrong person. There is only on letter O in English and I am amused and confused about the Norwegian variations Ø etc. They would all have been translated as O in Australian records.

My notes now need updating but were:
There is no Olversen in the 1865 Norwegian census. However it lists 103 Tomas Olsens. Tomas is an equivalent of the English Thomas.
The 1865 Census had 3 Tomas Olsen's which could be of interest. These 3 Tomas Olsen's are not on the census for 1875 or 1890. This could mean that they had either died or left the country.
Father Ole A Andersen son Tomas Olsen born Avaldsnaes in 1855 Note sen added to part of father's Christian name Ole.
Father Tomas Olsen son Tomas Olsen born Aafjords Progj. in 1856. This only makes him 20 when married. Thomas Wilson's Marriage Certificate says 22. He is however the same approx birth year of Thomas Olversen (deserter log age).
Father Ole Nielson, mother Kari Olsdatter, son Tomas Olsen born Saelbo (Selbu) in 1856. This only makes him 20 when married. Thomas Wilson's Marriage Certificate says 22. He is however the same approx birth year of Thomas Olversen (deserter log age). .
There was no Tomas Olsen born in 1854 in the 1865 census to match when Thomas Wilson was born according to his marriage certificate.

Again thank you Askeroi
Go to Top of Page

askeroi

Norway
299 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2004 :  22:06:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, my friend.

Unfortunately it's not as easy as you seem to think.. There may be 103 Tomas Ols.s in the 1865 cencus, but if so there are 416 Thom[m]as Ols.s as well. And probably a lot of T[h]om[m]es's as well. Please remember how names were written were up to the clerk (what he believed he heard combined with how he chose to write it). Back then there wasn't like today where there's only one way to spell a name without insulting people.

And, unfortunately the 1875 cencus is'n complete - huge parts of the country is missing, so not finding the three(?) interesting ones then doesn't mean a thing...

And I do not know what you mean by the 1890 census - there's no such source - the next cencus in Norway was by 1900. That's pretty complete, so not finding them there probably means they're dead or have left the country. But it could also mean they're misspelled.

And the ages given isn't too accurate, you can't trust that either. You'll have to know more from the american cencuses - birth place etc.

I do wish I could help, but finding someone from a name and birth year is just gessing. Sorry.

Also sorry I forgot to paste the link last time. But as you say "your" Thomas was in the 1865 cencus, the one I found born 1900 obviously must be the wrong guy.

But in 1865 there, too, were one - and only one - Tomas Olsen living in Tvedestrand:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=hentglobal®ister=fodeaar&pgj=176&teljing=ft1865&filnamn=f60902.wc2&amt=9&funnenr=475

He is in his 19th year and born approximately 1845/46. He seem to be too old.

But you are not very helpful, yourself. "This only makes him 20 when married" you say, without saying WHEN. A good advice when asking for help is GIVING ALL the information you have, so we know what we're searching for...

askeroi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article