All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Kiwi Vikings & Aussies
 Roald Amundsen (1872-1928), Norwegian Explorer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

NearNorsewood
Kiwi Viking special member

New Zealand
138 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2005 :  14:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone tell me who were the parents and paternal grandparents of Roald (Raold?) Amundsen (1872-1928), Norwegian Explorer?

I have his full name as both Roald Engebreth Gravning Amundsen and Roald Engelbregt Grauning Amundsen. Apparently he was born July 16, 1872. One source says he was born on the family estate at Hvidsten, which lies between Sarpsborg and Fredrikstad. Another says he was born at Borge. Another says "near Oslo".

His uncle (his father's brother?) - Amund Amundsen (born 1843) - emigrated to New Zealand in 1875 on the 'Fritz Reuter' (from Hamburg) with his wife and children. Amund and family are not found on the emigrant list at Digitalarkivet, but came to New Zealand after spending some time in Sweden.

I am trying to find out about the common ancestors, and family background, as I have been given a manuscript written in the 1960s by Amund Amundsen's granddaughter (now deceased) which recalls her childhood memories from 1897-1912. I would like to publish this manuscript and am hoping to include some family tree info, especially as the author makes reference to the family's correspondence with Roald Amundsen immediately prior to his disappearance.

I would also like info about Amund Amundsen and family. He emigrated with his wife (Elise Larsdatter, born Norway 1848) and four children (Carl b. Norway, age 8; Lars Wilhelm b. Norway, age 5; Annie Louisa b. Norway, age 3; Albert b. ?Sweden, age 9 months).

Several other children were born in New Zealand.

Amund also had a sister who emigrated to Australia who is referred to as "Mrs Heiberg" in the manuscript..

Any information about these people would be greatly appreciated.

Pip
=====
Norsewood Cemetery & Settlers' Genealogies Project
www.norsewoodcemetery.co.nz

Edited by - NearNorsewood on 20/06/2005 23:31:47

hasto

Norway
294 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2005 :  21:50:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roald Amundsen was born 1872 and is mentioned in the 1865 census!
The record says: Parents of Roald Amundsen (written later on): http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f60113&gardpostnr=195&personpostnr=1247&merk=1247#ovre

The farm is Hvidsten, the parish is Borge.
His parents were: Jens Amundsen, born ca 1821 in Hvaler parish and Gustava, born ca 1838 in Fredrikstad town.
Jens Amundsen's father is also there, Ole Amundsen (82), born in Fredrikshald. And there are 4 unmarried aunts of Roald, and Arthur, son of Johannes Amundsen.

Roalds uncle Amund Amundsen, born ca 1816, lived in a neighbouring house: http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f60113&gardpostnr=193#nedre

Harald S Storaker
4586 Korshamn, Norge
Go to Top of Page

hasto

Norway
294 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2005 :  14:10:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roald Amundsen's parents moved to Oslo when he was 2 yrs old. Here he is in 1875 census: http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f70301&gardpostnr=1130&personpostnr=34178&merk=34178#ovre

In 1865 Amund Amundsen (50), an uncle of Roald Amundsen, lived next to Roald's parents in Hvidsten, Borge.
That age does not fit with your information of an uncle Amund Amundsen born ca 1847. Should that year be 1817? Or can it be another uncle?

I found the old Amund Amundsen's Danish wife and mother-in-law in Familysearch:

CHRISTIANE HELENE JACOBSEN
Christening: 04 OCT 1829 Frue Kirke Or Vor Frue Kirke, København, Denmark
Father: JØRGEN JACOBSEN Mother: JOHANNE MARIE SØRENSEN
LDS IGI Batch No.: C202048

CAROLINE EMILIE JØRGENSEN
Christening: 24 JUN 1827 Frue Kirke Or Vor Frue Kirke, København,

KAREN KIRSTINE JØRGENSEN
Birth: 18 FEB 1823
Christening: 06 APR 1823 Trinitatis, København,

JØRGEN JACOBSEN
Spouse: JOHANNE MARIE SØRENSEN
Marriage: 08 NOV 1822 Garnisons Sogn, København,

Harald S Storaker
4586 Korshamn, Norge
Go to Top of Page

NearNorsewood

New Zealand
138 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2005 :  13:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harald, you're a champion! Thank you.

It's possible the date for Amund Amundsen is wrong. I have discovered other errors in source material. Looks like I'll have to go mining for a more reliable source.

Pip
=====
Go to Top of Page

elliot92
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2005 :  05:21:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

[/quote]

My grandmother was Aileen Amundsen Pahus and her father's name was Amund. I have always been under the impression that Roald was her Uncle. My grandmother was born in 1901 in Iowa, United States. If you would please send me your email address, I will get with my Mother and Aunt and see what other information I can provide.

jking
Go to Top of Page

NearNorsewood

New Zealand
138 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2005 :  22:45:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am still trying to make a connection between Amund AMUNDSEN who emigrated to New Zealand, and Roald AMUNDSEN.

I found that the Amund AMUNDSEN, supposed uncle of Roald AMUNDSEN, who emigrated to New Zealand, was married to Elise LARSDATTER. See
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=hentglobal®ister=fornavn&pgj=67&teljing=ft1865&filnamn=f60423.wc2&amt=4&funnenr=270.
Apparently, they lived in Sweden for some years before coming to NZ.

He came to NZ on the ship Fritz Reuter in 1875 with his wife and children (Carl b. Norway, 8 years; Lars b. Norway, 5 years; Annie b. Norway, 3 years; and Albert possibly b. Sweden, approx 9 mths). Several other children were born in NZ.

Pip
=====

Edited by - NearNorsewood on 17/06/2005 22:48:01
Go to Top of Page

hasto

Norway
294 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2005 :  23:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amund Amundsen , born 1842 in Grue, was not an uncle of Roald Amundsen. He was a son of Amund Pedersen, according to church records in Familysearch: http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/igi/individual_record.asp?recid=100226234390&lds=1®ion=12®ionfriendly=Norway&juris1=&juris2=&juris3=&juris4=®ionfriendly=&juris1friendly=&juris2friendly=&juris3friendly=&juris4friendly=

His parents in 1865 census:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f60423&gardpostnr=842&personpostnr=4302&merk=4302#ovre

Harald S Storaker
4586 Korshamn, Norge

Edited by - hasto on 18/06/2005 20:55:46
Go to Top of Page

hasto

Norway
294 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2005 :  08:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amund Amundsen of Grue: http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f60423&gardpostnr=836&personpostnr=4268&merk=4268#ovre

He was born in Grue parish, according to the census. He probably was the son of Amund Pedersen (according to Familysearch). He was from a rural area, and used a patronymic surname like most Norwegian did at this time.

Roald Amundsen was a son of Jens Amundsen. This family had adopted the new costum of using a family surname. They were from a skipper family at the coast, where they first started using family surnames. I guess there is no relation between the Amundsen of Grue and Amundsen of Borge.

Harald S Storaker
4586 Korshamn, Norge
Go to Top of Page

NearNorsewood

New Zealand
138 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2005 :  11:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The family claim they claim to have received letters from Roald Amundsen, stating his intention to visit his extended family in New Zealand and Australia (Amund Amundsen in NZ, and a Mrs Heiberg in Australia). I haven't been able to find an obvious connection.

Pip
=====

Edited by - NearNorsewood on 18/06/2005 11:44:06
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2005 :  13:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
this must be Roald Amundsens father:
Jens Amundsen, Christening: 09 MAR 1821, Rygge, Østfold, Norway. Parents: AMUND MAGNUSEN & CAREN JENSDR.

Doing a parent search at LDS, shows the following children to Amund Magnusen & Karen Jensdatter:

• Anne Margrethe Amundsen - Christening: 30 AUG 1812 Rygge, Østfold, Norway
  • Magnus Amundsen - Christening: 05 FEB 1815 Rygge, Østfold, Norway
  • Fredericha Amundsen - Christening: 26 DEC 1817 Rygge, Østfold, Norway
  • Jens Amundsen - Christening: 09 MAR 1821 Rygge, Østfold, Norway (1820?)
  • Lars Amundsen - Birth: 26 AUG 1824 Rygge, Østfold, Norway
  • Lorentz Christian Amundsen - Birth: 24 JUN 1827, Christening: 22 JUL 1827 Rygge, Østfold, Norway
  • Fredrik Christian Amundsen - Birth: 20 MAY 1831, Christening: 05 JUN 1831 Rygge, Østfold, Norway. Death 1903

It seems very unlikely that thet would have another child (Amund), born 35 years after their first girl Anne...

Could he have been a brother to Gustava? Not sure of her last name...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

hasto

Norway
294 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2005 :  22:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I guess this record shows the parents of Roald Amundsen: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/IGI/individual_record.asp?recid=500222523047&lds=1®ion=12®ionfriendly=Norway&frompage=99

His father's father was Ole Amundsen (82 in 1865 census. born in Halden). His mother's father was Gustav Sahlqvist.

Harald S Storaker
4586 Korshamn, Norge
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2005 :  22:32:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
you mentioned something about a Mrs. Heiberg in Australia. I wonder if she could be related to Consul Axel Heiberg (1848–1932) ?

Consul Axel Heiberg was a wealthy business man in Oslo, and worked in his early years as a vice-consul in China. When he moved back to Norway, he bought a lot of industrial companies, and he was also one of the 3 founders for the norwegian brewery "Ringnes".

The interesting part is that Axel Heiberg was a major sponsor for Roald Amundsen's expeditions!
Axel Heiberg has even a Glacier named after him, in the Antarctic.

Here he us in census-1865 and census-1900

His wife Ragnhild is the daughter of Thorvald Meyer (1818-1909), the richest man in Oslo at his time. He gave away major parts of the "Grünerløkka" area/ward in Oslo to Oslo muncipality.

Census-1865 also shows some Amundsens living in the same apartment block, but I doubt there is any relation there...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

NearNorsewood

New Zealand
138 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2005 :  23:27:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, everyone. I've ordered a copy of Amund Amundsen's death certificate from 1924. This should have his parents' names on it - IF the person who registered his death knew their names. Hopefully, this will help solve this mystery.

Pip
=====

Edited by - NearNorsewood on 20/06/2005 23:34:26
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2005 :  23:54:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... I doubt his death certificate would bring you any closer to Amund Amundsen,

There's no doubt that Roald Amundsen's parents was Jens and Gustava Amundsen. Jens born ca 1820 on Hvaløerne, Østfold, Gustava born ca 1838 in Fredrikstad, Østfold.

Full name: Jens Ingebret Amundsen and Hanna Henrikke Gustava Sahlqvist.

Roald Amundsen got never married, but had several affairs with married women...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

NearNorsewood

New Zealand
138 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2005 :  00:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a copy of the death registration for Amund Amundsen. He was born in Hamer, Norway. His father was Amund Amundsen. Mother not recorded.

Where is Hamer?

Pip
=====
Go to Top of Page

Shirley Early
New on board

New Zealand
4 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2005 :  13:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pip,
well I would just like to add my little bit of informatin,
Roald Amundsen appears on my family tree, as he is my great grandmother Andrine Marie Thorstensen (who lived in Norsewood NZ,) 3rd cousin, I have the whole family well documented with all the birth death and marriage dates as well as places, I am pretty much assured they are correct, they were sent to me via a relative in Norway, and the informtion is also in the Bydeboks that I have his mothers name was
Hanna Henriette Gustava Sahlquist born 16 Feb 1837 in Glemmen she died 9 Se[t 1893 in Kristiania (Oslo) his father is Jens Engebreth Amundsen born 27 Dec 1820 in Snekotta Hvaler he died 15 Aug 1886
I have tons more information on the family, and would really love to hear from you via my email address, as I too am in NZ
it is all very exciting, I have done a lot of Norwegian research, and of course would love to help fill in some gaps esp. for my personal family cheers Shirley.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article