All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Kiwi Vikings & Aussies
 family bolstad
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

donovan
Starting member

Australia
10 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2002 :  19:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my husband and his sister are researching their family history. His grandmother was Clara Elizabeth Bolstad and we believe she is related to Hans Bolstad and Karl ??? Bolstad from Akerhus who I found out today arrived in NZ on the Hovding in 1872 they settled around dannevirke

askeroi

Norway
299 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2002 :  21:36:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And none of this persons are born - they don't have any age at any time?
There is one Hans Olsen on a Bolstad farm in Høland, Akershus in the 1865 cencus - in his fifth year (i e born about 1861). The other names are not (easy to find at least) in the cencus. You say Clara is (believed to be) related to Hans and Karl. Could she be married Bolstad?

askeroi
Go to Top of Page

diotras
New on board

New Zealand
2 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2003 :  14:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this is rather vague but... is there a relationship to Beryl Bolstad (sister of Lorry and Ted) living in the auckl;and region, North Island New Zealand? Cousin of THE David and Sonny Bolstad (You know - the world champ wood cutters ). Anyway, I am the grandsonof Beryl and am trying to search my geneology. I know my grandmothers family arrived during the early settlement of New Zealand, and the earliets record fo a Bolstad in NZ is that of Hans who migrated to Norsewood, Palmerston North (named because our viking ancestors were, and still are, the best axemen in the world and were hired to fell the forests to help settle here.) But enough fo my country's history. Sorry i sometimes get a little carried away. Anyway, If you know the names Hans and Clara's children or grandchildren (very hopeful, but its still hope), I could make inquieries with my Grandmother and great uncles here. Hope we can be of service to each other - and who knows, we may be distant cousins

Adrian McCauley, New Zealand.
Go to Top of Page

diotras
New on board

New Zealand
2 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  09:52:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok I got a few fo my facts wrong.

Beryl is sister to Ted, Peter, Lorry, Don, Sonny, Alan (and I forget the names of my other great uncles\aunts).
some of their children are Kat Bolstad (The famous biologist), David (hmmm I forget my other half cousins).

As near as I can tell, Hans H. Bolstad is my great-great-gret-grandfather - Beryl's grandfather. So I'm a 6th generation NZ Bolstad.

As near as I have determined (I have yet to contact all the Bolstads in New Zealand - there is only 32 in total) We are all one family. They have spread into approximately 4 regions fo New Zealand.

Most Bolstad's live within Auckland, Waikato, Otago, and Napier. I assume all the Bolstads are fo the same family, being a rare name, and beign so localised. I recognised my family as being the eldest in each region - so it is plausible that the others are the offspring.
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  16:16:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi This is most likely Hans Bolstad (Balstad on the list) leaving Christiana in 1872 Click Here
and possibly him in the 1865 census click here
Carla
Go to Top of Page

kiwiviking
New on board

New Zealand
2 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2003 :  10:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diotras

I know this is rather vague but... is there a relationship to Beryl Bolstad (sister of Lorry and Ted) living in the auckl;and region, North Island New Zealand? Cousin of THE David and Sonny Bolstad (You know - the world champ wood cutters ). Anyway, I am the grandsonof Beryl and am trying to search my geneology. I know my grandmothers family arrived during the early settlement of New Zealand, and the earliets record fo a Bolstad in NZ is that of Hans who migrated to Norsewood, Palmerston North (named because our viking ancestors were, and still are, the best axemen in the world and were hired to fell the forests to help settle here.) But enough fo my country's history. Sorry i sometimes get a little carried away. Anyway, If you know the names Hans and Clara's children or grandchildren (very hopeful, but its still hope), I could make inquieries with my Grandmother and great uncles here. Hope we can be of service to each other - and who knows, we may be distant cousins

Adrian McCauley, New Zealand.

Hello Adrian,
Greetings fra Matata near Whakatane NZ.
Your Bølstad familie were in fact Hansens upon their arrival with the Tønsberg ship Høvding in Napier. They came from very near to some of my familie farms in the parish of Ås in Akershus. - - I would be only to happy to assist you in your search.
Please contact me.
Med vennlig hilsen fra Kiwi Viking -- Bob Hansen mailto: bobhan@wave.co.nz

Edited by - Borge on 19/10/2003 10:52:29
Go to Top of Page

kbolstad
New on board

New Zealand
1 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2004 :  05:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Famous biologist?! ... Aw, shucks...

Looks like this thread has been quiet a while, but I only just stumbled across it... I often wondered about the other Bolstads down under. I only arrived in NZ in 2000 myself, so no ancestral connections to Viking missions around the world... or at least only to the States. But my grandfather Donald Bolstad (already 4th gen American, I think) had many brothers, and so did HIS father (whose name I will need to check), several of whom fell out of touch with the family and are probably scattered across the planet. I believe Don also had a sister named Clara.

Clear as mud?

Kat
Go to Top of Page

JENNIFER TURNER
New on board

New Zealand
1 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  03:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI MY NAME IS JENNIFER TURNER I AM A COUSIN TO SONNY & DAVID BOLSTAD THE WOODCHOPPER. MY GREATGRANDMOTHER WAS EILEEN MYRTLE WARREN (NEE BOLSTAD) SHE WAS A SISTER TO SONNYS FATHER LESLEY BOLSTAD. SHE WAS ONE OF THREE CHILDREN. THEIR WAS ANOTHER SISTER STELLA BOLSTAD. THEIR FATHER WAS HARRY(JOHAN) BOLSTAD AND THEIR GRANDFATHER WAS HANS BOLSTAD.

HANS & CHRISTIANA BOLSTAD ARRIVED IN NEW ZEALAND IN 1872 ABOARD THE HOVDING WITH 6 CHILDREN. THEIR NAMES WERE CHRISTINA(DIED IN INFANCY), HAAKON, ANNA, KARL, CHRIS & MARY AFTER THEY ARRIVED IN NEW ZEALAND THEY HAD ANOTHER 7 CHILDREN THEIR NAMES WERE JOHAN, OSKAN, CHRISTINA, HANS, WILHELM, SARAH& ALEK

MY GRANDMOTHER CECILY EVANS HAS MORE INFO SO EMAIL IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ANYTHING ELSE

MY EMAIL ADDRESS FOR MORE INFO IS jt13nz@yahoo.co.nz

JDT
Go to Top of Page

gmbolstad
New on board

New Zealand
1 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2006 :  00:04:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi margaret and grant bolstad here, my husband grant is the son of arnold and lois bolstad, arnolds family is from pahiatua where his parents are buried in the pahiatua cemetry, grant is one of 7 children and they grew up in the rotorua district, we are currently farming in the auckland district.

g m bolstad
Go to Top of Page

per
New on board

Norway
1 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  10:25:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Last year a man from New Zealand named Bolstad came to wisit me here at my farm in Norway. He was looking for his Norwegian roots. The name of the farm is Bolstad or more correct in Norwegian: Bølstad.
I am the present owner of the farm but not a Bølstad relative.
Anyway, I am interested in genology and have since then been looking for the roots of Hans Bølstad who emigrated to N.Z.
As far as I have seen until now it is not possible to connect him directly to this particular farm. There are two Bølstad farms in Ås community, and all in all only 3 Bølstad farms in Norway. But what I have found is that Hans was born at the very place where Såner School now is located. This is about 20 km. from here. Later on he moved to a place called Hvitsten located at the eastern side of the Oslo fjord, also not far from here.
The family had a house there called Bølstadgården. The place of Hvitsten is quite small, but it is a very shiping orientaded place. I am happy to help you more in your resurch.
Best regards from Norway.
Per

quote:
Originally posted by JENNIFER TURNER

HI MY NAME IS JENNIFER TURNER I AM A COUSIN TO SONNY & DAVID BOLSTAD THE WOODCHOPPER. MY GREATGRANDMOTHER WAS EILEEN MYRTLE WARREN (NEE BOLSTAD) SHE WAS A SISTER TO SONNYS FATHER LESLEY BOLSTAD. SHE WAS ONE OF THREE CHILDREN. THEIR WAS ANOTHER SISTER STELLA BOLSTAD. THEIR FATHER WAS HARRY(JOHAN) BOLSTAD AND THEIR GRANDFATHER WAS HANS BOLSTAD.

HANS & CHRISTIANA BOLSTAD ARRIVED IN NEW ZEALAND IN 1872 ABOARD THE HOVDING WITH 6 CHILDREN. THEIR NAMES WERE CHRISTINA(DIED IN INFANCY), HAAKON, ANNA, KARL, CHRIS & MARY AFTER THEY ARRIVED IN NEW ZEALAND THEY HAD ANOTHER 7 CHILDREN THEIR NAMES WERE JOHAN, OSKAN, CHRISTINA, HANS, WILHELM, SARAH& ALEK

MY GRANDMOTHER CECILY EVANS HAS MORE INFO SO EMAIL IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ANYTHING ELSE

MY EMAIL ADDRESS FOR MORE INFO IS jt13nz@yahoo.co.nz

Piere
Go to Top of Page

erinajo
New on board

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2006 :  05:39:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all.
i was wondering if anyone maybe able to help me with my ancestors. My great grandmother was mary johanna Feeley, who married my great grandfather thomas Bradley. By 1938, they were divorced and mary johannah married wilfrid archibald BOLSTAD, son of karl, grandson of hans and christiana. is there any way of finding out if they had children? and any way of finding more information on her family?
im in australia, so it makes it hard looking for new zealand information. any help would be fabulous.
cheers
erina

:)
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2006 :  18:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be better if you started a new topic and provided a link to this information, otherwise, the thread gets off topic.
Go to Top of Page

kjo
New on board

1 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2006 :  21:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello,
i don't know if i am going to add to the confusion or help.
my daughter in new zealand (see kbolstad above) asked me about some of the info provided there. as far as i know, the name "bolstad" comes from a farm (village) above bergen. it is not written bo-slash-lstad there; i believe the valley is laerdal. there are a lot of bolstads listed in phone directories in norway, and i think the name is also the same in swedish and danish, to make matters even more complex.
Go to Top of Page

NearNorsewood
Kiwi Viking special member

New Zealand
138 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  04:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have some information that might help sort this out.

Here is Hans HANSEN BOLSTAD family in the 1865 Norwegian Census:

208 Vestregade, Grimstad, Aust-Agder, Norway.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=2&filnamn=f60904&gardpostnr=183&personpostnr=1429&spraak=e&merk=1429#ovre
1429 2 1 Hans Hans. Bolstad Husfader Snedker g 27 m Aas Prgj.
1430 3 Christiane Pedersd. hans Kone g 24 k Øistad
1431 4 Hakon Peder Hans. deres Søn ug 1 m Grimstad

Here is the family emigrating New Zealand on the Hovding:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=10&filnamn=EMIOSLO&gardpostnr=25093&spraak=e&merk=25093#ovre
25093 Oslo 379A 1872 30 Hans Hansen Balstad m G Snedker 33 Fredrikstad New Zealand 1273 Norsk œ 28,- Høvding
25094 Oslo 379B 1872 30 Christiane f G 28 Fredrikstad New Zealand 1274 Norsk œ 28,- Høvding
25095 Oslo 379C 1872 30 Hakon m u 7 Fredrikstad New Zealand 1275 Norsk œ 28,- Høvding
25096 Oslo 379D 1872 30 Anna f u 5 Fredrikstad New Zealand 1276 Norsk œ 28,- Høvding
25097 Oslo 379E 1872 30 Carl m u 4 Fredrikstad New Zealand 1277 Norsk œ 28,- Høvding

Pip
=====
Norsewood Cemetery & Settlers' Genealogies Project
www.norsewoodcemetery.co.nz
Go to Top of Page

NearNorsewood

New Zealand
138 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  22:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is Hans HANSEN BOLSTAD's original christening record:

Akershus fylke, Ås, Ministerialbok nr. I 5 (1827-1840), Fødte og døpte 1839, side 456-457.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=7554&idx_id=7554&uid=ny&idx_side=-187
This shows the farm name as BOLSTAD, not BØLSTAD, in this record (but the spelling of lots of place names has changed between then and now, so may not mean much).
Hans was born 23 March 1839, christened 02 April 1839.

Pip
=====

Edited by - NearNorsewood on 04/12/2006 22:25:06
Go to Top of Page

NearNorsewood

New Zealand
138 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  01:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is Christiane PEDERSDATTER HELLEMYREN's original christening record:

Aust-Agder fylke, Øyestad, Ministerialbok nr. A 13 (1827-1842), Page 186, Christening no. 80, 1842
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=848&idx_id=848&uid=ny&idx_side=-187
Christiane was born 24 Jul 1842, christened 14 Aug 1842.

Pip
=====
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article