All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Kiwi Vikings & Aussies
 Roald Amundsen (1872-1928), Norwegian Explorer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Steve Little
New on board

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2007 :  12:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shirley Early

Hi Pip,
well I would just like to add my little bit of informatin,
Roald Amundsen appears on my family tree, as he is my great grandmother Andrine Marie Thorstensen (who lived in Norsewood NZ,) 3rd cousin, I have the whole family well documented with all the birth death and marriage dates as well as places, I am pretty much assured they are correct, they were sent to me via a relative in Norway, and the informtion is also in the Bydeboks that I have his mothers name was
Hanna Henriette Gustava Sahlquist born 16 Feb 1837 in Glemmen she died 9 Se[t 1893 in Kristiania (Oslo) his father is Jens Engebreth Amundsen born 27 Dec 1820 in Snekotta Hvaler he died 15 Aug 1886
I have tons more information on the family, and would really love to hear from you via my email address, as I too am in NZ
it is all very exciting, I have done a lot of Norwegian research, and of course would love to help fill in some gaps esp. for my personal family cheers Shirley.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Steve Little
New on board

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2007 :  01:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a descendent of both Amund Amundsen and Nicolai & Karen Hansen who were first settlers of Norsewood in 1872 from the Hovding. I believe my great grandparents were Lars William and Elese Rebekka Hansen (spelling unsure). My grandmother was Violet Amundsen (aka Emmerson).

My grandmaother told me when I was quite young that Roald Amundsen was a relative and that she had knowledge of him coming to NZ but he disappeared before coming. I recall her showing me a letter in a "funny language' which was obviously Norwegian which was reputedly from him. My Nana and I looked up an encyclopaedia about Roald for me to do a show and tell at school. I have the book still today. I would have been about seven (1958).

I know very little about our family history but would love to know anything. My Mum believes Lars had a Hotel. The family talks about a place in the area of Norsewood called Pateney (spelling unsure) but I can't trace it through the Geographical Names Board. Is it a property name?

My wife, Robyn, and I have been to Oslo and visited the Roald Amundsen house and his Museum with his 2 ships. Happy to email photos. We have also read his biography.

We live in Australia so can't just pop down to Norsewood but will make a special trip when we have sufficient information and contacts to make it a very memorable visit.
Steve

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Karl Amundsen
New on board

New Zealand
1 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2007 :  04:45:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings from New Zealand.

We are trying to establish if anyone has documentary evidence linking the Amund Amundsen family, with the Jens Amundsen family.

Because if they are not related (Jens & Amund) then relatives in New Zealand who are related back to Amund Amundsen of Dannevirke, are not related to the explorer family of Roald Amundsen, as many have assumed to date.

for Karl
Go to Top of Page

Steve Little
New on board

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2007 :  08:20:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, I have confirmed the information above in Shirley Early's post re the birth and death dates of Roald Amundsen's parents from Roald Amundsen's biography. She says she has evidence to link the NZ connection. I am hoping she will respond to these postings so we can seek further info. Steve

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Shirley Early
New on board

New Zealand
4 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2007 :  11:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve and Karl, as you can see in my reply to Pip. I have a very extensive tree for Roald Amundsen, and if you want any info only too willing to share. my grandmother came alone to NZ she married Adolph Theodore Thorstensen in Napier and they bought up a family of 12 children in Norsewood. my grandfather was the 2nd eldest. I have also been to Norway, met my Thorstensen relatives there and we were thoroughly spoilt and welcomed. by about 59 of the 65 that live there. They also confirmed that Amundsen was a relative to the girl from Hvaler I have since been contacted by two diff. people in USA who are descended from two of his uncles family and we have completed more information. so if you would like to know further please don't hesitate to contact me. cheers Shirley
Go to Top of Page

Shirley Early
New on board

New Zealand
4 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2007 :  11:56:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again, think I missed out the great in the line, it is my great grandmother who is Roald Amundsen's 3rd cousin.
my email address I have sent to you Steve. so you cn contact me off list if you want. no prob.
cheers Shirley.
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2007 :  13:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps some answers could be found in these links about the explorer Roald Amundsen

Could this be the connection?

Borg 1865, farmer and shipowner Amund Amundsen and wife Christiane, two children Olaf and Amalie, Christianes mother Johanne, her sister Karoline and three servants.

Amund Amundsen was likely an elder brother of the explorer Roald Amundsen´s father, farmer and shipowner Jens Amundsen with family.
His father was Ole Amundsen age 82, born in Fredrikshald (Halden)

Both Amund and Jens was born on Hvalerĝen

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 30/12/2007 21:35:11
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2007 :  23:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amund Amundsen and Jens Ingebret Amundsen were brothers

Hvaler Sept. 22.1816, #10 Amund Amundsen born Mai 22.
Parents: Ole Amundsen and Anne Kristine Gravning farm Snekotte.

Hvaler Jan. 30.1821, #3 Jens Engebreth Amundsen born Dec. 27. 1820.
Parents: Ole Amundsen and Anne Kristine Amundsen Snekotte.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 30/12/2007 23:37:59
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Gordon
New on board

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2007 :  23:35:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my great grandfather, Oluf Andersen, born in Oslo in 1859 was in the Norwegian Merchant Marine. His passport is signed in several entries by "Amundsen". Could this have been Jens Amundsen, father of Roald? Was he the captain on any ships? I know he ran a shipping company. Where can I listing of ships that he may have captained or owned?

pamela gordon
Go to Top of Page

Shirley Early
New on board

New Zealand
4 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2008 :  06:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone, well I am just updating Roald Amudnsen's family, Kari is correct with her information, I have Jens brother Amund's family, he married twice, and the info that Kari posted is about his second wife, and family, the two children went on to have descendands right up until abouat 1957, but they all seem to be in Norway, I now have the lines of these brothers on my tree, due to contact with w family members in USA Jens other brothers. Petter, Johannes, Amund, Carl,and my line Jens. so if anyone wants confirmation of information, only too willing to share. cheers Shirley NZ
Go to Top of Page

NearNorsewood
Kiwi Viking special member

New Zealand
138 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2008 :  04:01:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the record, the Amund AMUNDSEN who settled at Ormondville (near Norsewood), Hawkes Bay, New Zealand, is *NOT* related to Roald AMUNDSEN.

Pip
=====
Norsewood Cemetery & Settlers' Genealogies Project
www.norsewoodcemetery.co.nz
Go to Top of Page

Evvan
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2008 :  21:21:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, i saw this forum and wanted to know if someone can help me.

I am a descendent of the Amundsen's from Norway, . My great great grandfathers name was Lars Amundsen and he married Ellen "last name unknown" in Norway, in 1883 my great grandpa Peter Amundsen was born in Norway and his family moved from there to the US and settled in Morris Illinois, he met and married Lizzie "last name unknown" and had 4 children, one of which was my grandpa Lars Amundson, born in 1913, they then moved to Ketchikan Alaska and that is where my family no resides to this day.

In 1934 my grandpa met and married my grandma Laura Evylin Wakfield, they had 6 children consisting of my mom and aunts and uncles. Lars Amundsen died in 1966 from heart complications and my grandma died in 1987 five months before i was born, After she had passed away my Mom's sister for un known reason went to my grandma's house and went into the attic and took out all our family's history document's and possetion's and burned them on the front lawn, along with our family's history a picture of my great great grandpa and Roald Amundsen was said to be burned as well.

and one more thing, for some reason half my family members in Alaska have there name spelled Amundsen and the other half is spelled Amundson, i was told it was like that because sen is the Norwegian spelling for son...

If anyone has any information that could help me fill in or somewhat complete my family tree please e mail me at longevvan@yahoo.com, thanks for your time
Go to Top of Page

atle-unnimarie

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2008 :  05:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is not relevant to the familial relationships of Amundson, but surely is to the person. Come May 17, we here in Los Angeles area will gather as we do annually at AMUNDSON Field in Pacific Palisades to honor him and Norway. Festivities and fun for children of all ages.

For the spiritual side and more socializing we will adjourn to The Seamans Church in San Pedro.

This day will not be much different than many communities around the world, but I am pleased that the originators locally chose to honor AMUNDSON as the Norwegian of American & World influence.

No, I am not related. I simply respect the movers & shakers of any ethnic group of any era. We need them. May their vistas be boundless
Go to Top of Page

terry emerson
Starting member

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2008 :  06:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve Little and Pip,
Re AMUND AMUNDSEN - AMUND was my Great Grandfather, LARS my Grandfather, and STAN EMERSON (formerly Amundsen) my father, So Steve we would be related! 1st cousins Once removed I think?
I have a good deal of AMUNDSEN family tree information, and will gladly share this with you. Perhaps we should start a new topic AMUND AMUNDSEN and descendents etc??
I have only started on this site today, having been referred to it by my oldest Son John.
(Incidently Violet was of course my Aunt (Aunty Vi) and I she once stayed with us about 1950!

I have not done much on AMUNDSEN family research for some time, but have quite a bit of info incl some old photos, and research done by a NZ cousin Noel Selwyn MURRAY (now deceased) who did a lot of research going back to Norway. I would be very pleased to hear from you and can correspond by email if you are happy to do so? look forward to hearing from you both. with best wishes.

terry emerson

Edited by - terry emerson on 16/05/2008 08:51:27
Go to Top of Page

atle-unnimarie

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2008 :  09:09:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by atle-unnimarie

This is not relevant to the familial relationships of Amundson, but surely is to the person. Come May 17, we here in Los Angeles area will gather as we do annually at AMUNDSON Field in Pacific Palisades to honor him and Norway. Festivities and fun for children of all ages.

For the spiritual side and more socializing we will adjourn to The Seamans Church in San Pedro.

This day will not be much different than many communities around the world, but I am pleased that the originators locally chose to honor AMUNDSEN as the Norwegian of American & World influence.

No, I am not related. I simply respect the movers & shakers of any ethnic group of any era. We need them. May their vistas be boundless

IS MY FACE RED?? NANSEN FIELD - NOT AMUNDSEN!!! I KNOW BETTER. EACH ARE OF IMMENSE RENOWN, BUT I SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT NAME. OOPS.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article