All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The ships
 Finding my Grandmothers Ship to the U.S.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

opedersen
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2005 :  02:40:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to know if the S/S Island left Cristiania, on Oct. 25, 1900, heading for New York, would it have sailed to Copenhagen, or other Danish ports, before going to N.Y.. The reason that I am asking, is that I can't find any record of my grandmother arriving in the U.S.. The Danish Emigrations show that her ticket was registred on Sept. 28, 1900, with an Indirekte route to N.Y.
Her name was Mary Alvilda Albrechtsen, b. June 21, 1881, in
Lunderskov, Skanderup parish, Ribe county, Denmark. Anything that you can do will be greatly appreciated.

gromarte
Starting member

Norway
7 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2005 :  15:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe you have tried this, but anyway:
I have also had some trouble about finding my relatives at. f.ex Ellisisland.org. The reason is that their names have been translated completely wrong from the handwritten original ship manifests to the searchable text version. The way I at last found them was that I read the original ship manifest. I guess it is an easier way to find the original manifests in, but I found them by searching after other persons that i knew went with the same ship in Ellisisland.org, and then chose "original ship manifest".

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2005 :  17:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
On June 14, 1897 the building on Ellis Island was destroyed in a fire so they had to use the Barge office for immigrants.

The Barge Office was used from June 14, 1897 - Dec 16, 1900, and the new building on Ellis Island was opened on Dec 17, 1900.

Your grandmother would have arrived in the beginning of November 1900, thus she must have travelled through this site.

However, these records should also be available at Ellisisland.org, and the S/S Island is registered as arrived on Nov. 12, 1900:
Series: T715
Roll: 159
Volume: 260
Year: 1900
Month: November
Day: 12
Frame: 279
Ship: Island
Port: Copenhagen/Christiania
FHL roll: 1403909

The manifest says that the ship left Copenhagen on Oct. 24th, then left Christiania (Oslo, Norway) on Oct. 25th, and finally Chrsand S (Kristiansand, Norway), on Oct. 26th, before crossing the Atlantic towards New York.

Your grandmother should be registered there, but the name is most likely misspelled.
It does not look like the records at Ellisisland.org from this November 12th arrival of S/S Island are complete.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 23/10/2005 17:24:25
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article