All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Jacob Husby Emigration Dominion via ch. 4.4.1888
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jacob Husby
New on board

Norway
3 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  17:04:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the Digitalarkivet i found page 59 entry for Jacob Husby. from Brevgen emigrating 4.4.1888 Dominion Line via Christiania.
He was born Jakob Johnsen Indergaard 1861. His destination was mentioned as Menomonie Visc. It said 'ug' and so I do not believe he was married. His brother Johan or John Johnsen Reginius Indergaard emigrated in 1879 around august on Hero. He went directly to Menomonie, Wisconsin.
Husby must have been the last farm that they went to before
emmigration. Both brothers used this name. John added Reginius as a middle name. I have not found Johns emmigration mentioned on Digitalarkivet . But I have been told of it. I do know he arrived at Menomonie as planned and married shortly after.
I have nothing to go on to find Jacob. Other than Digitalarkivet . I think he could have been on ship ss Oregon or ss Vancouver. I would like to find the ship to see if he made it to america.
I could use some help. thanks

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  18:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is alot of information on this site about the Dominion Line and the ships Oregon and Vancouver. The Dominion Line operated from Liverpool to Quebec/Montreal, Baltimore in the winter, New Orleans and Philadephia.

The Vancouver arrived from Liverpool to Vancouver on April 20, 1888 and to Quebec on April 27, 1888.

The Oregon arrived from Liverpool to Halifax, Canada on April 15, 1888.

The Hero was a feeder ship that took emigrants from Norway to Hull, England and on to Liverpool or Glascow for their voyage to North America.

I do not know of any online records for Canadian arrivals at this time. The appropriate microfilms for these passenger lists are available for rental at a local Family History Center if you have access to that .

Are you trying to find Jacob Husby in America?

Go to Top of Page

Jacob Husby
New on board

Norway
3 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2006 :  17:21:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I am trying to find Jacob in america or if the ship went to Quebec. Canada. I posted because it is as you say the Dominion lines have information. But it doesnt seem clear. The digital. of the Buvik area saying Jacob left 'Dominion via Christiania'. does that mean Chrisitania ship or the area of oslo.
When John came he was from Trondheim on Hero. and that is how I found this family. For Jacob the norwegian digital. source says he emigrated 4.4. 1888. None of the ships say this date. I don't know which port. the ships I mentioned are for. These ships are the only ones of Dominion line I saw leaving at that time. Yet didn't the dominion line information say something about change of hands. I have very little information to go on.

Looking at some emigrations of others in eau claire wi and menomonie, none have taken oregon or vancouver at those time periods. Yet some of the others are not completely dominion from christiania. I may try to look up some others mentioned at same time 4.4.1884 from Buvik..They were going to duluth mn.
I do love this game, but feeling frustrated at this time..

I see no sources for passenger lists.
I hope there are other source for the passenger lists other than the latter day saints church????!!!! But need to narrow down the ship first.
1890 census for W.i are burned. i have not seen him on census for the area he is to have arrived. I shall check all cemeteries online.
But it is best to know if he made the entire trip.
This is my first time looking for a ship from NOrway and I was hoping someone could point out the obvious ' something' I am missing here. I haven't read all on this site yet.
thanks for rsponding. It is appreciated very much.
I shalll check latter day saints to see where the information is about the ships.
sorry this is long.
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2006 :  19:01:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christiania would mean Oslo, not the name of a ship. There are Canadian resources for passenger lists but I am not familiar with them, recommend you go on - cyndislist.com.

As far as the date on Digitalarkivet, it is the date they "registered" to leave, not necessarily the exact date they left. Sometimes, something happened, an illness, problem with the ship, etc. and they were delayed. Since you know the approximate time he left, I would not look at just an individual ship but any ships that arrived around that time.

Since you have the same name as Jacob, did he come back to Norway or did he settle permanently in America?

Yes, it is frustrating but alot of fun especially when you find something after a long search. I have been doing this for 30 years and still haven't found everything.
Go to Top of Page

Jacob Husby
New on board

Norway
3 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2006 :  21:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your interest. My name is Jo Meyer a challenge too. Marriage is how I got the name Husby The john Johnsen Indergaard[ b. 1854 Husby ]line. I am german ancestry which can be frustrating too. So the norwegian methods are new to me. i do not know if Jacob went anywhere. There are families who connect to their ancestry. I do not see anyone who has mentioned him. I have not seen him at the cemetery where the valuable family members are buried. Maybe if I check name Jacobsen in the area he went to see if he possibly had any children. We connect to his brother. There were another famiy Of Husby who came by the name Husby by the name Arnt. and Evensen. But those in the know did not bother with them.
Our Husby family were before Husby they were Jakob Johnsen Indergaard b. 1861. His brother Johan changed to John R.Johnsen Indergaard. born 1854 But buried with middle initial C or G. His future wife Marit lived at Saltnaes accross from the Husby farm. So I have been told she immigrated at the same time, but not on the same ship in 1879. I did find her ship. The ancestors of Husby moved from farm to farm each generation it seemed. With marriages from other farms. Enenbak, Bustad,Tondel. Lots on line. Luckily for me. Cause of Egil Oeyangen and his wife a member of parliment and he has done lots of work. It is funny that no one has looked for him. many did not trace further on the descendency branches. I should contact several descendents. Gellien/ Ericksen for one.
There are others who are better at the research who do not have him further on the tree.
Arnt. Husby but nothing much on them . Someone had family Husby who went to Australia. But if he was not married...
I should check Quebec census too I guess.
i am not sure how to check beyond the one i saw 1865 of the digital. something to work on.
Did I say thank you for all your help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article