All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Kiwi Vikings & Aussies
 BIRTH INFORMATION JOHANSEN
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

orewachris
Starting member

New Zealand
10 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  06:42:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My ggparents Anders and Maria and Louisa Johansen came to New Zealand aboard the Hovding 1872. On the passenger list they are named Johannesen and are from Vennersborg (Sweden?) I have since discovered an entry in a library which says he is from Bralander Alvs and she is from Ryr Sundals, Alvs. Can anyone tell me how I can find any more information regarding their births and the birth of their daughter. Records during their lifetime alternated from them being from Norway in one record to Sweden in another. I would love to solve this once and for all
Thank you
Christine

orewachris

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  11:16:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Christine,
all the places you mention are located in Sweden.

Vennersborg = Vänersborg, Västra Götaland county, Sweden
Bralander Alvs = Brålanda in Vänersborg muncipality, Västra Götaland county, Sweden
Ryr Sundals, Alvs. = Sundals-Ryr in Vänersborg muncipality, Västra Götaland county, Sweden

The area was previous called Älvsborg county, but is since 1998 located in Västra Götaland county.
The area is located on the western coast of Sweden, north of Gothenburg (see map).

You could try to post a topic in the Swedish Anbrytarforum.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

NearNorsewood
Kiwi Viking special member

New Zealand
138 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2006 :  09:52:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Christine.

This family is recorded as Norwegian in the emigration records:
25042 Oslo 359A 1872 30 Anders Johannesen m G 28 Vennersborg New Zealand 1222 Norsk Spd. 99,90 Høvding
25043 Oslo 359B 1872 30 Marie f G 29 Vennersborg New Zealand 1223 Norsk Spd. 99,90 Høvding
25044 Oslo 359C 1872 30 Louise f u 1 1/2åR Vennersborg New Zealand 1224 Norsk Spd. 99,90 Høvding

The passenger list records them as being from the "Interior late Fredrikstad".

They are not included in the book "Svenskarna i Nya Zeeland (The Swedes in New Zealand)" by Sten Aminoff.

I recommend that you purchase a copy of the death registration for the parent (Anders or Maria) who died earliest. The information supplied in that case is most likely to have come from the surviving spouse (who should know). I would recommend what is called a "printout" which is a photocopy of the actual registration. A death certificate is a transcription and, could, therefore, be prone to error. The printout costs less. For more info, go to www.bdm.govt.nz

I hope this is helpful.

Pip
=====
Norsewood Cemetery & Settlers' Genealogies Project
www.norsewoodcemetery.co.nz
Go to Top of Page

orewachris
Starting member

New Zealand
10 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2006 :  11:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for replying. The information on the death print out of Maria (who died first) says she was born in Norway and Anders says he was born in Sweden. The information I was given recently with the Swedish parish names has completely thrown me as we thought the "death info" was correct. I cannot find Louisa (the child who was supposedly born in Norway) either and yet she was only 18 months old when they left Norway. The family historian (my old Mum) said she heard rumours they were cousins and that maybe they had falsified records to conceal this - what a mystery! I will check out the Swedish records and see if anything comes of it.
Thank you again for your help - this is a great site to visit and has helped me such a lot.

orewachris
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article