All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Emigration of Lorentz and Bendigte Strand
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kimi Husse
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2006 :  16:27:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My great great grandparents came from Norway in about 1872-1873 to either Canada or USA and ended up in Benson, Minnesota. I can not find them on passenger ships to the US so I am thinking they came through Canada. What would be
their route and what port would they have landed? I am also
trying to find out where in Norway they are from. Any other ways
to do this?

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2006 :  18:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recommend you read some of the many articles on this site about routes, travel, ports, maps, etc.

As far as finding them in Norway you have to research all you can on this side of the pond, including marriage, birth, death records, obituaries to verify parents names. Researching siblings also leads to information. Cyndislist.com has many links with research guides, familysearch.org has a free online guide to Norwegian research and basic research help.

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2006 :  20:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is hard to guess the location of Benson, Minnesota - but in the 1900 US census there is a Norway born woman named Bendigte (married to a man surname Knudsen) and has 'step'children listed in the household by the surname Strand. All this in Swift County, Minnesota. If this is the right woman then studying the US and Minnesota censuses may help you to expand your understanding of the year that she immigrated to the US.

But in the 1880 US census is the Strand family living in Mower County, Minnesota?
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=MINN1880&gardpostnr=86176&sokefelt=skjul
Go to Top of Page

Kimi Husse
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2006 :  01:32:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, this is my family. My gg grandfather died Dec. 26, 1890.
Bendigte died in 1910. I did obtain her death certificate (these
are available from 1910 on) thinking it would list more about
where she was born (town) and possibly the name of her parents. Unfortunately it did not, so back to ground zero. We have a good friend going to Norway this summer so I was trying to get straight to the Norwegian part to find the town that she is from. I have studied the censuses and have some family
info saying that one baby was born in 1872 and died in Canada.
The 5th child was born in Benson in 1876. So I know they came
to the US somewhere in this 4 year time period.

Rgds, Kimi
quote]Originally posted by Hopkins

It is hard to guess the location of Benson, Minnesota - but in the 1900 US census there is a Norway born woman named Bendigte (married to a man surname Knudsen) and has 'step'children listed in the household by the surname Strand. All this in Swift County, Minnesota. If this is the right woman then studying the US and Minnesota censuses may help you to expand your understanding of the year that she immigrated to the US.

But in the 1880 US census is the Strand family living in Mower County, Minnesota?
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=MINN1880&gardpostnr=86176&sokefelt=skjul

[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

Kimi Husse
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2006 :  01:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Strand family in Mower County is not a direct line but maybe a cousin. I know that my ggrandmother
Marie Strand Horton remarried after her first husband died in 1915. I do not have the year in front of me but she did marry a Peter Strand.

Kimi
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2006 :  15:05:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You cannot skip 'straight to the Norwegian part'. Even with an unusual name like 'Bendigte'. Search for details about those who emigrated from Norway in any and all American records. Check US federal censuses, Minnesota state censuses (1875, 1885, 1895, 1905), birth records, death records, applications for marriage licenses, land purchase records?, local published histories of county, town and/or churches where they lived, and look for records of the church congregation where they attended ! There will many times be a notation about where the member of the church was originally baptised and/or confirmed in the Lutheran church. For the emigrants from Norway - this notation will most often be the name of the parish in Norway where they grew up.
You can search for 'Bendigte' in one of the 1865 Norwegian census databases. I would NOT assume that her given name was spelled exactly in that manner but probably similar and you probably have at least an approximate year for her birth. I searched the NHDC 1865 database for
females born between 1843 and 1845 with given name starting with 'Bend' - I found 19 possible matches. I would expect her 'surname' in the database to hopefully 'match' the given name of one of her sons.
This database has a link for you to study the instructions on its use -
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/folketellinger_avansert_e.aspx

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2006 :  15:14:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The record I saw in a US census 'Bendigte' listed that she came to the US in 1875. You didn't mention the names of her sons - but I saw a son named Peter in the same census.
The 1865 census possibles included a 'Bendikte N. Pedersdatter', birthyear to match the info in the 1900 US census. I decided to look closer and the 1865 census shows that to be living on a farm named STRAND! in Kvæfjord, Troms, Norway. Most logical port of departure for a native of Troms would probably be Trondheim. Looking at departures from Trondheim in 1875, females with given name starting with 'Ben' - finds this record --
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=EMITROND&gardpostnr=14194&sokefelt=skjul

You have to use ALL the CLUES from every American record possible! You didn't share much information from those records and I just lucked into that one from my own research into US censuses.
Go to Top of Page

Kimi Husse
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2006 :  16:28:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much... I had tried to do a lot of this but did get stuck. After your message last night I did check again on another web site which said that first children were often named
after their grandparents. I am sorry, I just did not know this. I only can go by a printed sheet given to me, which gave me the names of all the children. First born (then died in Norway) were
Matilda and Peter. The 3rd and 4th child were Matilda and Petra, then Ludwig, Peter, Josephine, Marie, Theonora, and Marianna. I also tried the Minnesota Historical Society and did
not have too much luck.. Anyway I did try to retrace your steps on the NHDC. I was only able to access "Bend" on the less advanced census and a matching birthdate did not show up.
I did follow the instructions on the advanced version but listed
only her first name in the upper left hand box. I left all the others
as none. I filled in female and birth year from 1843 to 1845. What is "og" and what is "eller"? I did not have anything else
confirmed so how did you do this? Thank you again for your time from one new researcher....
Kimi (Also thank you thank you from all my family!)
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2006 :  18:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They should be registered in one of the Police Protocols:

click here

This is a good dictionary:

http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 27/05/2006 18:52:28
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2006 :  04:04:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has been a long long time since I read the instructions for the NHDC databases. I just looked at them again -- someone has worked hard on NEW instructions in recent years - nice graphics, explanations of several tricks I'd have to study a great deal of time to understand how to use, etc. But somehow they've almost hidden one item that I use MOST in the advanced version of a search there -- the WILDCARD!
You want to look for someone with a name starting with the letters Bend? type in Bend%
% is the WILDCARD. You could search for a last name like Hus% or a given name like Ki%. The % can be any letter or combination of letters. You can use it more than once -- for example looking for a Last name like %isvol% is permissable - might not return a list of too many people (since we'd expect that to probably be a farm name and it's a little early in 1865 for many people to start using farm names as surnames).
Try that -- I think you'll find great improvement in the results.
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2006 :  05:23:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Here is Lornts (Lorentz) in the 1865 census Click Here

I am pretty sure that this is the family in the 1880 US census listed with the last name Baker Click Here
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2006 :  05:40:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The IGI at the LDS site has the birth records for their children
Peder Mathilda who must have died since there is a 2nd Mathilda born in 1872 and Petra

Bekkert in LORENTS MATHIAS BEKKERT KRISTIANSEN's name is probably where the last name Baker came from in the 1880 census.

Carla
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2006 :  06:02:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is there marriage record Click Here if you click on BENEDIKTE's name you will see her father's name is PEDER VILLUMSEN.

Carla
Go to Top of Page

Kimi Husse
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2006 :  06:41:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all this info. Yes these are all the census's that I
have looked up and confirmed that are part of my family. I actually was puzzled by the "Baker" and thought that it was his
profession and since he had only been in the US for 5 years, maybe he had misunderstood the census taker. So what is the
significance of "Bekkert." I think I understand him to be Mathias
son and since the first born had been Mathilde (I am guessing this is the feminine form of Mathias). So if I am to look up more
information on gggrandfather Lorentz, can I try Lor%? I actually
did try this and found one born in 1834, but a Matthias son. From our family records he was born in 1833. But I just noticed
they are showing him with a different birth year on NDHC.
Go to Top of Page

Kimi Husse
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2006 :  06:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did figure out the information about my gggrandfather!!!! Thanks to all for your help. Kimi
Go to Top of Page

Katnip
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2007 :  09:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Great-grandfather is Lorents (Lorentz) Mathias Bekkert (Baker) Christiansen Strand. His wife (my great-grandmother)was Bendikte (Bendigte) Necoline Pedersen. Lorents was born in Gaare Ovaefjord Norway on 8 Jan 1837 to Christian Nielsen & Maren Katrine Madsen. Bendikte was born on 8 Aug 1844 in Kvaefjord Troms Norway to Peder Willumsen (Velumsen) and Sirene Hanson. Lorents & Bendikte were married on 2 Aug 1867 in Kvaefjord Troms Norway. They arrived in the USA on 13 June 1875. They filed a letter of intent to become US citizens on 19 July 1875 and were granted citizenship on 22 March 1882. Born to them were 10 children. The first 2 died prior to the family immigrating to the US.

#1 Mathilde Kornelia Lorentsen born approx 1868 date of death unknown.

#2 Peder Severin Lorentsen born approx 1869 / died 24 Sept 1874.

#3 Mathilde Krestense Lorentsen born 19 June 1872 in Kvaefjord Norway died 24 Feb 1914 Westaskiwin, Alberta Canada. Married Peter Williamson Strand 12 Nov 1892 in Benson, MN. From this union were 12 children (6 daughters and 6 sons. After her death, Peter moved back to Benson, MN and married her sister Marie Sirene Strand (see child #8)

#4 Petra Regina Lorentsen born 31 Aug 1874 in Norway, died 26 Oct 1923 in Minneapolis, MN. Married Rufus C. Davenport in MN. From this union was 1 son.

#5 Ludwig (Ludvig) Bernard Strand born 26 Aug 1876 Benson, MN, died 1935 Edmunton, Alberta Canada.

#6 Peder Severin Strand born 8 May 1878 Benson, MN, died 7 July 1946 Benson, MN. Married Ovieda (Vera) Graven 21 Dec 1919 in Bonners Ferry, ND.

#7 Hansine Josephine Strand born 18 Mar 1880 Benson, MN, died 6 June 1957 Ferndale, WA. Married Fred Staring Kittredge approx 1901. From this union were 3 daughters.

#8 Marie Sirene Strand born 25 July 1882 Benson, MN, died 24 April 1964 Benson, MN. Married George William Horton 27 June 1900. From this union were 4 daughters and 2 sons. After George's death in Mar 1915, she married her brother-in-law Peter Williamson Strand (see child # 3)

#9 Theonora Bergette Strand (*** MY GRANDMOTHER ***) born 21 June 1884 Benson, MN, died 20 March 1959 Golden Valley, MN. Married Howard Ernest Mueller on 2 Aug 1914in Minneapolis, MN. From this union were 1 daughter ( MY MOTHER ) Jean Marjorie Mueller and 1 son ( MY UNCLE ) Malcolm George Mueller. Upon Howard's death in Jan 1948, Theonora married Charles H. Block on 8 April 1950 in Minneapolis, MN.

#10 Marianna Prunella Strand, born 16 Aug 1886 Benson, MN, died 11 June 1973 in White Rock, B.C. Canada. Married Charles Little, date/place unknown.

After Lorents' death in 1890, Bendikte (Bendigte) married Halvor Knutson on 12 Nov 1892 in Benson, MN.

Lorents & Bendikte Strand are buried in the Benson City Cemetery. Their son Peter Severin Strand is buried next to them. Their daughter Marie Sirine Strand and sons-in-law Peter Williamson Strand and George W. Horton are also buried at the same cemetery. Marie and husband Peter are buried next to each other with 1st husband George nearby.

Lorents' father supposedly came to America around the same time they did. However I was unable to locate any records on him, with the exception of land records. And they seem to indicate that sometime after coming to America, he too had remarried.

I have copies of immigration documents for Lorents as well as copies of obituaties, death certificates, census records and land documents for many of the aformentioned relatives. I was able to obtain copies of obituaries and death certificates at the Minnisota Historical Society in St Paul, MN. The census records were obtained through either Ancestry.com or one of the Latter Day Saints Family History Libraries (in Los Angeles, CA). The Immigration documents were obtained through Iron Range Research Center (www.ironrangeresearchcenter.org). Another good place to obtain copies of MN birth and death records online is through the Minnesota Historical society @ http://www.mnhs.org.

I hope some of this information helps. I've been gathering info since 1994, so have probably searched some of the same places you have, including the NDHC. I'm at a slight disadvantage in that I can't read Norwegian. But have a Norwegian/English dictionary that helps a little bit.

I am really curious as to how Kimi Husse and I are related. Since you are his Great-Great Granddaughter and I am one of his Great-Granddaughters, there is a connection somewhere along the line. Who are your Great-Grandparents?

Claudia
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article