All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Soren Jespersens relatives in Chicago, Cook County
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bjornpa
Starting member

Norway
22 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  14:49:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
I am looking for Soren Jespersens possible decendents in Cook County, Chicago, Illinois. Here is what i know.

Soren Jespersen, born 1855, in Bergen Norway, emigrated to Chicago in 1882. Married (unknown year) a Lina or Lena Miller or Muller and they had two children, one girl born 06 apr 1888, named Bergitte Marie and one boy born 17 aug 1889, named Johan.

I cannot find any further trace of the two children, maybe some in this forum can help? Any information will be of great value for me.

Bjornpa

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  17:35:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Chicago, Cook Co., Illinois 1900 US census -
S. Jesperson, b. Feb 1855 Norway, married 13 yrs, 6 children (4 still living), immigrated 1881, occupation watchmaker?.
Wife is either Tena or Lena, b. 1866 Norway.
Daughter, Lena, b. Sept 1891 Illinois.
Daughter, Camilla, b. Nov 1892 Illinois.
Son, Harry, b. Sept 1893 Illinois.
Son, William, b. July 1897 Illinois.

So it would appear that the first two children are dead before the 1900 census.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  19:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 1920 Chicago, Illinois there is a Henry Jesperson, 28 yrs old b. Illinois - but listed with both parents from Denmark. His wife, Gjertrude, is also listed as born Illinois with Danish parents. The interesting tidbit was that Henry worked as a jewelry salesman.
That was as close a match as I was able to find.

Edited by - Hopkins on 01/12/2006 19:44:20
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  20:16:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lena (widowed) and family are found in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois is the following census, children all born in Illinois:

1910, Lena Jespersen, widowed, immigrated 1880, born 1867, Norway, nurse-working out.
Lillian, 19, office clerk, publishing
Camilla, 18, clerk mail order
Henry, 16
William, 12
Jacob Miller, brother, 38, born Norway, book binder, publishing

1920, Lena Jespersen, 52
William, 22, Bookkeeper, electric company
Lena, 29, clerk, publishing company
Harry, 25 contract clerk, electric company

Edwin W. Droege, born Illinois, married 10 years, etcher, photography studio
Lilliam E. (Lena), 38
James W. 7, son
Ruth L. 3 years 5/12
Lena Jespersen, mother-in-law
Harry, brother-in law

You can find several of these people on the free Social Security Death Index on www.rootsweb.com. This is only for people who died 1962 and beyond.

There is a Sophus Jesperson, died September 24, 1906 and a Lena Jespersen, died March 13, 1944 on this free database:

www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/databases.html" target="_blank">http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/databases.html
Go to Top of Page

bjornpa
Starting member

Norway
22 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  12:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for your answers, I do not know what to say, it is only four weeks ago that the Jespersen family here in Bergen, Norway learned that Soren immigrated to Amerika when I found him on a norwegian immigration list from 1881. We knew it was him because of his name, year of birth and that his first daughter in Chicago had her name from Sorens sister and mother in Norway. The last trace of him that the family earlier had was a norwegian census from 1875 when Soren lived at home with his two younger brothers and one sister, he was at that time learning to be a watchmaker. After that nobody in the family knew anything about him until now. The family (four generations living today in Bergen) are asthonised to learn that they actually has relatives in the US, and hopefully some still living. So thanks again.

I also found out by following the Rootsweb link that Sorens son Harry died in Florida feb 1977. I also see that his daughter Camilla and his son William is missing in the 1930 Census, maybe they moved to another state between 1920 and 1930.

Do anyone of you know if there is a online public record or others sources that I can access to find out if Willam and Harry did get married after 1920-1930 and maybe had any children that may be living in the US today?

Bjornpa
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  19:04:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is not alot of online (especially free) public records available. All this information has to be input and most people are not willing to volunteer to do the work and/or do not think they should have to pay for the information.

On the Illinois Death Index link I provided, there is a William Jespersen that died, I believe, in 1917. You have gotten some basic information and really your option now is to secure copies of death certificates to determine surviors, try to get obituaries from local newspapers or libraries. If you want to go much further, you will have to spend some money.

Since Søren and Lena died in a large city, they probably just had a death notice but you know the exact dates it should not be hard to track down. Getting a copy of their death certicates is a good idea. Camilla is not listed on the Illinois death index but neither are the first two children you mentioned. If she got married, she would have taken her husband's last name.

Cyndislist.com has many links to help you find information. Here is where to order vital records in the U.S:

www.vitalrec.com

Harry Jespersen, born September 17, 1893, died February 19, 1979, Boyton Beach, Palm Beach, Florida.

James W. Droege, Born January 29, 1923, Died July 22, 1989, Little Rock, Pulaski, Arkansas

Death certificates and obituaries could yield alot of information.

Could you provide the link to his 1881 emigration, just for my own curiosity, I could not find it nor could I find him on any passenger lists.

Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

bjornpa
Starting member

Norway
22 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  20:35:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again for your information and link. To find Søren follow the link below and in box A you choose "Etternavn", in box B you choose "børjar på", and in box C you type "jesp". Only Søren will be listed. His emigration year was 1882, not 81 as I wrote earlier. It seems that he arrived in NY with a boat called Hekla on the 6 or 7 of sept 1882, he may have left Norway from Christiansand (my guess), and it seems that he was a watchmaker in Kristiansund before he immigrated. He was registrated as an immigrant in this city 20 of aug same year.

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=EMIKRUT&spraak=n&metanr=50

I noticed that William Jespersen was listed in the 1920 Census, can that be wrong?

Bjornpa
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  00:05:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you are right, William was listed in the 1920 census, I was going too fast.

He also registered for the World War I draft on August 24, 1918, born July 23, 1897 in Chicago, single, living with mother, father's place of birth Denmark.

Harry registered for the draft on June 18, 1917, born September 18, 1893 in Chicago, single, living with mother.
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  00:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can send an email inquiry to the Palm Beach County library to see if they have an obituary for Harry:

http://www.pbclibrary.org/genealogy.htm

Here is where you can write for a possible obituary for James W. Droege:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~arpulask/assobit.html

Unfortuately, they do not accept email requests, call or write.

There is a William Jespersen in the Illinois database that died in 1927. I could not find him in the 1930 census.
Go to Top of Page

bjornpa
Starting member

Norway
22 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  13:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link to Palm Beach County Health Department, they sendt me Harrys death certificate. He was married to one June M Jespersen (Hansen) 1908-1989, died in California.

The problem is that this record do not say if they had any children. Do you have any tips how I can find out about that?

My goal is to find one living relative to Søren in USA, if I do that I probably will find them all. They have all until now been an unknown part of a written and now online 691 years and 24 generations long Jespersen saga and I do not think they know that.

Bjornpa
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  18:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did June sign Harry's death certificate?

Contacting the Palm Beach library for a possible obituary is a another source of information.

Getting a copy of June's death certificate may help if it was signed by a relative. CA death certificates from this time usually list the informant's address and relationship to the decedent.
June M. Jespersen, born June 30, 1908 in Illinois, died December 17, 1989 in Los Angeles County, mother's maiden name Kristiansen. Finding the exact town in Los Angeles County she died in could lead to a further local source (library, local historical society) to look for an obituary. Unless one was a very prominent person, there would not be an obituary in the Los Angeles Times, just in the local papers.

I think they probably moved to Palm Beach upon retirement as they applied for their Social Security applications while living in Illinois. When June moved to California, she most likely was moving to be closer to a child or relative.

In an online White Pages (residential) directory, there are 14 Jespersens in Florida and 88 in Los Angeles County.

24 generations, very impressive.

Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  04:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the obituary for Lillian

Chicago Tribune (IL) - January 25, 1977
DROEGE
Deceased Name: Lillian E. Droege, nee Jespersen
Lillian E. Droege, nee Jespersen, beloved wife of the late Edwin W.; dear mother of James W. (Nancy M.) and Ruth (Robert) Schaefer; grandmother of James, Robert, Thomas, Susan and Paul Schaefer, Mark, James and Nancy Droege; fond sister of Harry Jespersen. Visitation at the M.J. Suerth Funeral Home, 6754 Northwest Hwy., after 3 p.m. Tuesday. In state at the Norwood Park Presbyterian Church, 5849 N. Nina, Wednesday, from 1 p.m. until time of services 2 p.m. Interment Ridgewood. 631-1240.
Maybe some of the grandchildren can be located.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  04:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The obituary for Robert Schaefer
Norridge News (IL) - October 28, 2004
Deceased Name: Robert F. Schaefer
A funeral Mass for Robert F. Schaefer, 81, of Elk Grove Village, formerly of Norwood Park in Chicago, was celebrated Oct. 15 at Queen of the Rosary Church, Elk Grove Village. Born in Chicago, he died Oct. 10 at Alexian Brothers Medical Center.

Mr. Schaefer was a U.S. Navy veteran. He is survived by his wife, Ruth L. (Nee Droege); four sons, James, Robert, Thomas and Paul; a daughter, Susan Scheive; and his grandchildren, Michael, Frank, Jacob, Zachary and Matthew.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Jacob and Helen (Nee Hilfinger); and his sister, Ruth Snyder.

Interment was in All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines. Arrangements were made with Grove Memorial Chapel, Elk Grove Village.

Carla
Go to Top of Page

bjornpa
Starting member

Norway
22 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  14:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot for the obituarys Carla, they where very helpful. They told me that there is a lot of descendants of Søren and Lina living in US today. I also noticed that the name Norwood Park is present in both obituarys and perhaps I will find some of their relatives living in this area or the Elk Grove Village area today.

Do the local newspapers in US (and Chicago) or the public librarys keep a historic record (online maybe) of all the obituarys they have printed? If not is it possible to contact them and ask for an obituary or is it any other online links I can use?

Thanks again, Jo Ann Sadler, for the information about Harry and June. I agree that they probably moved to Florida after they retired. That means if they had any children they would have been born in Chicago because Harry worked for a company called "Commonwealth Edison Co." in Chicago all his career.

Bjornpa
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  18:30:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is not one answer to your questions. Every organization is different on record keeping. All I suggest you do is Google for the local libraries papers, etc.

For example, I just Googled - Elk Grove Public Library and come up with this:

http://www.egvpl.org/

You can send them an email asking if they have obituaries and if not, who can you contact. In previous postings, I have given you links to find other information. And as I said before, everything is not online and everything is not free. Libraries, especially, in this country are operating on a shoestring. In the vitalrecs.com link I gave you gives links to local historical societies, these societies are operated with very little budget and by volunteers, many of them do not even have websites, and you will have to write or call them.

Looking up similar named people in white pages directories is another way to find descendants, either by a long distance phone call or writing a letter.
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  04:16:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi The obituaries I found came from a database at the Godfrey Memorial Library. Click Here called "America's Obituaries (NewsBank)"
You need to subscribe to access them but the fee is only $35.00 per year which is a good deal since they have a lot of other resources. I did search for obituaries on some of the other decendents but did not find anything.

Carla
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article