All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 relatives out there or in Norway?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dahlen

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2007 :  16:15:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi, Am searching for relatives in Norway and U.S. of the Dahlen ancestry. First arrivals in U.S. came in 1867 from the Brandbu/Gran area in Hadeland, Opland region of Norway. Settlers have lived in Minnesota, N.Dakota and Wisconsin primarily. Cambridge, Wisconsin was my area of early upbringing. Thanks, Roald Dahlen

Roald Dahlen

Edited by - dahlen on 22/03/2007 18:10:42

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2007 :  22:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roald,

We could use a little more help, such as names, ages, births and deaths.

A quick search for "Dahlen", Cambridge, Dane County Wisconsin, lists:
Julius
Hilda
Harold
Eleanor
James

Are these familiar names?

Not very many listed for Cambridge, but an endless list for other places.

Les

Edited by - Lester Hanson on 22/03/2007 22:06:41
Go to Top of Page

dahlen

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2007 :  00:17:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Yes these are my grandparents, father and his brother and sister. I'm 62 years of age and Julius' parents came to America in 1867, I believe. Thanks, Roald

Roald Dahlen
Go to Top of Page

dahlen

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2007 :  00:28:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, James is the only survivor of the 3 children and his career was spent in the Seattle area as a medical doctor. There are three children from his family, Deborah, Eric and Kerry. Those are the only cousins of mine from the Dahlen tree. Elinor passed away this past summer at 88 years of age and Harold, my father, passed away in February of 2005 at the near age of 91 after suffering from altzeimers for 11 years. He was a schoolteacher for close to 50 years in S. Dakota, Wyoming and Wisconsin. He graduated from Luther College in 1937 and his brother and step brother also graduated from college in Decorah as well as Jerry, my brother, my sister Julie and myself. I was confirmed in the First East Koshkonong Lutheran Church, the oldest Norwegian Lutheran parish in the United States. The second built church the Koshkonong Lutheran parish was built right next door to the origninal because of a breakup of members of the 1st congregation over the controversy of predestination. Today both congregations are one again after almost 100 years of being separate. My father Harold and his parents Julius and Hilda are buried in the church cemetery there. Best, Roald

Roald Dahlen
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2007 :  01:26:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are the names of the persons who came from Norway? Did those persons use different spellings for their names in the first years that they were in the US?

Most of the persons leaving the Gran area in the 1860's appear to be from the Dælen farms.
Go to Top of Page

dahlen

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2007 :  02:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, they came from the daelen farms; I'm sure of this but in America my ancestors name has always been Dahlen. The farms there date to the iron age or before the Vikings.

Roald Dahlen
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2007 :  02:37:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roald,

Without the name of Julius B. Dahlen's father, everything becomes guesswork. Do you have any records for him?

Julius and Family are available in the 1910, 1920 and 1930 censuses.

For the 1910 census, Julius has a brother Torwald age 23, and a nephew John E. age 2 living with him in North Dakota.

If you can provide Julius' fathers name, we may be able to bridge the 1890 census gap, and get some info from the 1900 and 1880 censuses.

Les

Edited by - Lester Hanson on 23/03/2007 02:49:39
Go to Top of Page

dahlen

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2007 :  02:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, as soon as my brother contacts me, I can then provide information about my great grandfather. His first name is forgotten at this time by me. I do know that Norwegian was spoken regularly in my father's immediate family when he was young as well as English but amazingling the last year of my father's life, with his altzeimers and all, the only language he spoke was Norwegian. That is amazing as my father never spoke the language to myself or my sibblings as we were growing up.

Roald Dahlen
Go to Top of Page

dahlen

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2007 :  16:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back again! Julius B.'s father was Johan Larsen Dahlen who left Brandbu in 1868(off by a year). His wife was Berthe and they first arrived in Decorah and spent a few months there before going to Hayward, Minnesota until 1909 and then moving west to Halliday, N. Dakota where my father Harold was born in 1914(Julius son). Guess these are the basics and if more help with relatives in Norway(Would like to go there and retrace my roots in a few years) and in the United States, all would be appreciated. Thanks, Roald

Roald Dahlen

Edited by - dahlen on 25/03/2007 17:00:04
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2007 :  17:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably Johan Larsen Dælen who left Gran district in 1863 and went to Vestre Toten district of Norway.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=33&filnamn=granutfl&gardpostnr=1810&sokefelt=skjul
In Vestre Toten he married Berte Mikkelsdatter -
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=0529&kenr=005&bnr=0038&lnr=000
In 1880 US census they appear as the John Dilhan family in Freeborn Co., Minnesota.

Check out the resources on the web and available through the nearest LDS Family History Center. Study the 'how-to's under Links on this webpage.
Go to Top of Page

dahlen

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2007 :  19:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, Perhaps my great, great grandfather would have been a Johannessen and my great grandfather was a Larsen and the family took the farm's name of Daelen, changed to Dahlen when they came to America? Sounds like the same Johann and my great grandmother's name was Berte. Thanks, Roald
Wonder about any relatives living in Norway today?

Roald Dahlen

Edited by - dahlen on 25/03/2007 19:33:08
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2007 :  00:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you joined the Hadeland Lag? It's a group of people descended from emigrants from Gran, Jevnaker, Lunner and Brandbu in Oppland Norway.
http://www.hadelandlag.org/index.html

You should also be aware that there is a VERY active group still in Hadeland Norway who want to find out what happened to the emigrants from their location. Complete the information form - I did. If you are very very lucky perhaps a relative is interested in history and genealogy.
Go to Top of Page

dahlen

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2007 :  01:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My brother Jerry signed me up last year and I'm now up for renewal on the Hadeland ancestor paper you mention. Thanks, I'm reminded by you to send in the renewal. Thanks, Roald

Roald Dahlen
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2007 :  02:42:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roald, Ancestry.com has a feature called Family Trees. There are several listings for your Dahlens. And there are a few date conflicts and misspelled names..

Here is some info for:

Johan Larsen Dahlen Born 1 Aug 1831 in Brandbu, Norway. Died: 6 Oct 1919 in Halliday, North Dakota.

Spouse: Bertha Helena Engesater, Born: 26 Jan 1845 Vestre, Toten, Norway. Died: 15 oct 1935, Fertile, Minnesota.

Children from Johan and Bertha:

Laura Dahlen, Female, Born 14 Apr. 1865 Toten, Norway. Married Ole Dahlen 23 Jan1883. Ole was born in May 1850, immigrated 1872. They had 5 children, 4 living per the 1900 Census. Their children were: Edgar, John, Bertha, and Francis.

Anna Dahlen, Female, born 4 March 1867, died 6 August 1869 Norway.

Karine Dahlen, Female, born 12 Jan 1868 or 1869, died in
Norway.

Marten Dahlen, Male, born 25 Aug 1871, Minnesota, Died 18 Jun 1958. Spouse Ella Hecht.

Carl Dahlen, Male Born 23 Nov 1873.

Anna Maria Dahlen, Female, Born 28 Aug 1875.

Tilda Sophie Dahlen, Female, Born 6 July 1878.

Julius B Dahlen, Male, Born 19 Oct 1880.

Emma Dahlen, Female, Born 28 Jun 1882.

Lauriz Johan Dahlen, Male, Born 11 Dec 1884.

Thorvald Dahlen, Male, Born 8 Oct 1886.

Millie Dahlen, Female, Born 11 Mar 1889.

There are lots of names and dates available, which should keep you busy trying to make a family tree.

If you have US CENSUS lookup capablities, look for:

1900 Census, Minnesota, Freeborn County, Riceland, John Dollen, Bertha, Carl, Emma, Lars, Thorwald, and Millie.

1900 Census, Minnesota, Freeborn County, Albert Lea: Ole Dahlen, Laura, Edgar, John Bertha, and Francis.

1910 Census, Minnesota, Freeborn County, Albert Lea: O. E. Dahlen, Laura, Edgar, John, and Francis.

1920 Census, ditto, Ole E. Dahlen, Laura, Lillian E (Foster Daughter).

1920 Census ditto above, same sheet for John E. Dahlen, wife Inga, and daughter Gladys.

1930 Census, ditto, Ole Dahlen, Laura, and Lillian.

1910 Census, North Dakota, Dunn County, Township 145. Julius Dahlen, Torwald, and John E. (nephew).

1900, 1910, 1920 Census, Minnesota, Freeborn County, Riceland Village, Nels(Nell) C. Jacobson, Spouse Tilda(Telda,Thilda) (Dahlen). Children Robert, Tilda, Sophia, Carl, Netta, Emil, Josef.

1930 Census, Minnesota, Norman County, Bear Park. Nils Jacobson, wife Tilda, Children Carl, Emil, Norris, and Raymond. Plus: Bertha Dahlen, age 84.

1930 Census, ditto, Ole Dahlen, Laura, and Lillian
Go to Top of Page

dahlen

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2007 :  04:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lester, Yes all of this would be the facts. All of these names would be my great grandfather and great grandmother's children and the right dates. I must get started. Probably not much of anyone in Norway existing from my family anymore but I will search and try to find out. Some names with not quite the right spellings in other posts but you have given what is all the right info. to get started. God bless, Roald

Roald Dahlen
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2007 :  23:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dalen.
Engesæther Vestre toten 1865, wife and man Berte Hellene Mikkelsdatter and Johan Larsen.
Some translatings from the document: Familie stilling- Relationship, yrke-profession, Husfader-Father, Husmoder-Mother, Svigersønn-Son- in -law, Hans kone-His wife, derses Datter-their daughter, hendes Datter- her daughter. Gbr. Selveier- Free farmer, Hjælper til med Gaardsbruget- assisting on the farm, Føderaadsmand- Free food and a room after Hans Olsen and his wife Mari Andersdatter handed over the farm to his daughter and son- in- law (Anne Margrete Hansdatter and Mikkel Johannesen, Fødested-Place of birth, g-married, ug-unmarried. http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=84&filnamn=f60529&gardpostnr=410&merk=410#ovre
1801 cencus Toten: Mikkel Johannesen was born on farm Alm about 1793, son of Cotter Johannes Olsen and Eli Halvorsdatter, both born about 1761, 4 of Mikkel´s siblings mentioned. http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=90&filnamn=f10528&gardpostnr=26&personpostnr=482&merk=482"ovre
Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 29/03/2007 00:14:24
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article