All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MISCELLANEOUS
 Locations
 where do I start?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

debbiecraig1952
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2007 :  18:39:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my great-great-grandmother Cecilia Lundgren (later to become Mrs. Charles Hilstrom in Chicago) was born in Stavanger in 1847. The family emigrated to the US in about 1853. I believe her parents names were Olaf and Johann, although I am not positive. Where might I begin looking in census, etc? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I know nothing more for certain than this.

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2007 :  20:13:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cecilia would have left Norway before the 1865 census - so a relatively easy search in that database is useless. The next earlier census of all persons was 1801 -- too early for your purpose.

You could search emigration databases for the port of Stavanger but be aware that those are not complete because of a destructive fire.
You can also plan to search the various congregations in the city of Stavanger for 1847 births/baptisms. There was more than one church congregation in that city - so make a list and start checking each one.

Have you exhausted the US information available for Cecilia? obituary? marriage record? all census enumerations? Chicago city directories? American church records?
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2007 :  20:29:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I guess this is them in census-1880 for Chicago, Illinois.

Cecilia does not look to be Mary's mother...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 26/04/2007 20:30:46
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2007 :  20:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think she is her daughter. The original census lists Mary as being born in Illinois.

Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2007 :  20:53:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does list her mother as being from Sweden, but I had a great grandparent listed as being from Norway, because her husband was and she was born in Wisconsin, so I'm going to keep looking.

Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2007 :  15:36:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For some reason, those links didn't work. Sorry, about that. Here's the info from Charles Hilstrom's death certificate.

HILSTROM, CHARLES 07/28/1904 CHICAGO 60 YR U 00006067 COOK

And here is the info on Cecilia.

HILSTROM CECILIA F/W UNK 6034571 1928-11-29 COOK CHICAGO 28-12-01 (the first date is the death date and the second is the date filed.
Here is the link for the state of Illinois databases.
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/databases.html

Hopefully that link will help you. Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2007 :  07:50:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found your great-great-grandmother Cecilia Agnete Lundgren in Stavanger, born Dec 12, baptized Dec 26. Her parents Anders Oluf Lundgreen and Maria Magdalene. Her father was a cooper - barrels needed for the herrings fished at that time.
See #416 at http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1669&idx_id=1669&uid=ny&idx_side=-122

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2007 :  00:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The name Lundgren sound Swedish to me, could this be a younger brother of Anders Oluf Lundgren or an older brother of Cecilie Agnete, this Peter Lungren was also a copper:

Peter Lungren, Housefather, age 32, copper and wife Amanda Helmann age 22, both born in Sweden and their one year old daughter Ellen Amanda b. in Stavanger.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=22&filnamn=f61103&gardpostnr=646&personpostnr=6585&merk=6585#ovre

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2007 :  06:22:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the word after Maria Magdalene's name on Cecilia's birth/baptismal record?

Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2007 :  07:22:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The same parents had a girl by the same name in Gothenburg, Sweden in 1845. She probably died as an infant.

Cecilia Agnetta Andersdr Lundgren
Christening: 24 AUG 1845, Lundby Forsamling, Goteborg, Goteborg Och Bohus, Sweden
Parents: Anders Olof Lundgren & Maria Magdalena Erland

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2007 :  09:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The word after Maria Magdalene is the name of the house or area where they lived in Stavanger, this was in the area around the Dome.
Three of the parents of this page live on the same place.

I think it´s Rosenvoldhaugen, likely named after the owner Rosenvold, haugen means heap.

Stavanger Dome and church records from Stavanger:
http://www.disnorge.no/rogaland/kirker/stv_dom.htm
http://www.artemisia.no/arc/historisk/stavanger/stavanger.domkirke.html

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 30/04/2007 10:02:30
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2007 :  22:27:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just some more info on the word after Maria Magdalene:
It is close to Rosenvoldhaugen - it is Rosenkildhougen - members of the Rosenkilde family can be found in Stavanger from about 1700 up to 1850 - today there is a Rosenkildegate (Rosenkilde street) in Stavanger, at the bottom of a hill not far from the Dome.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

debbiecraig1952
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2007 :  19:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

Cecilia would have left Norway before the 1865 census - so a relatively easy search in that database is useless. The next earlier census of all persons was 1801 -- too early for your purpose.

You could search emigration databases for the port of Stavanger but be aware that those are not complete because of a destructive fire.
You can also plan to search the various congregations in the city of Stavanger for 1847 births/baptisms. There was more than one church congregation in that city - so make a list and start checking each one.

Have you exhausted the US information available for Cecilia? obituary? marriage record? all census enumerations? Chicago city directories? American church records?

Since my first post, I received from another kind volunteer the parish record showing Cecilia's baptism at Domkirken, Frue. I've located the archives on the internet, so I plan to browse the records of that parish to see if I can find her parents marriage, or emigration recorded in them.

I have done considerable work using Ancestry.com and have found 1870 census in Chicago, but not yet 1860 or 1880. I have death certificate. Also several children's birth records. But I appreciate your suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

debbiecraig1952
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2007 :  19:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

Hi,
I guess this is them in census-1880 for Chicago, Illinois.

Cecilia does not look to be Mary's mother...

Jan Peter

That's them! If the surname was transcribed as HITSTROM that will explain why my search has so far failed to find them in that year's records. I've found many isntances of transcriber error, misspellings, etc, but that is to be expected, even today with standardized spellings! Thanks so much. I'll get a copy of the original document the next time I'm at the library now that I know what to look for.
Go to Top of Page

debbiecraig1952
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2007 :  19:56:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lislcat

It does list her mother as being from Sweden, but I had a great grandparent listed as being from Norway, because her husband was and she was born in Wisconsin, so I'm going to keep looking.

Wanda

This is the best message board community I've ever posted to! You folks are great.

Yes, this is my Cecilia and her husband Charles Hilstrom. I didn't have any record of Mary, but that doesn't mean a lot - many children died early in life in those days.
Go to Top of Page

debbiecraig1952
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2007 :  19:58:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lislcat

For some reason, those links didn't work. Sorry, about that. Here's the info from Charles Hilstrom's death certificate.

HILSTROM, CHARLES 07/28/1904 CHICAGO 60 YR U 00006067 COOK

And here is the info on Cecilia.

HILSTROM CECILIA F/W UNK 6034571 1928-11-29 COOK CHICAGO 28-12-01 (the first date is the death date and the second is the date filed.
Here is the link for the state of Illinois databases.
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/databases.html

Hopefully that link will help you. Wanda

thanks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article