All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Karelius (Carelius, Cornelius) Hanson, Kongsvinger
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

livtjern
Medium member

Norway
102 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  00:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was born 12. march 1862 at Tekstebakken farm in Kongsvinger.
He emigr. to New York, ship Rollo, line Elster at 07. april 1882.
His title was a shoemaker.

Can some help me to find out about him?

Liv

livtjern
Medium member

Norway
102 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  23:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!

Karelius Hanson used the farm-name, after his surname, where he lived before he emigr. to USA, and the farm-name was Tomteberget. Maybe he changed the surname to Berg, Tomte"berg"et? I found 1 "Karl Berg" in Houston, MN at Ancestry.com (census), and he was born about 1863. Maybe he changed Karelius to Karl. I don't know.

Liv
Go to Top of Page

livtjern
Medium member

Norway
102 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  00:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me again!

I found one Karl Berg who died in Hennepin co, MN, 08.22.1909, too. (Minnesota death certifikates). Can he be the right man who I'm looking for?

Liv
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  00:17:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Liv,
Where did you get the information on his emigration?

Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  00:44:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Liv,

Have you read on this site about the Rollo? It was a feeder ship that transported emigrants from ports in Norway (Christiania and Christiansand in 1882) to Hull, England. You need to find out what ship he took from England to NY, if you are sure that is where he disembarked. He probably would of taken a ship from England a few days after that and would of arrived in the US by the end of April 1882.

Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

livtjern
Medium member

Norway
102 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  20:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!

Thanks for help! I found him at emigr. over Kristiania 1871 - 1930 at "Digitalarkivet" at the date 07. april 1882, saw his name and he was a shoemaker. In our church-book for Austmarka (area in "Vinger" )(Kongsvinger) I found him, and there the farm-name Tomteberget was written, Karelius Hansen Tomteberget, b: 12. march 1862.

How do you put links at this forum?

I will try to find out which ship he took from Hull to New York, but I think it's problem to find passengers-list.

Karelius was one of the brothers/sisters you have helped me about before.
A grandchild of his brother Hans Hanson, who lived in Hatton, ND, remember a man (relatives) who had lived alone and not had any family, maybe it could be Karelius. I think that was in Hatton or near area.

Liv
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  23:18:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here it is:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=5&filnamn=emikra1&gardpostnr=46168&merk=46168#ovre

They way I do links is to highlight the web address, copy it and then paste it into my posting. It works “most” of the time.

The line (linje) is indicated as Elster. That would be Ferndinand J. Elster of Oslo who was the agent for the White Star Line. Per the information here on the White Star Line he would have traveled on a ship to New York or Philadelphia.
Go to Top of Page

livtjern
Medium member

Norway
102 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2007 :  00:04:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe he emigr. with the White Star Line to New York, but it could be Philadelphia, too. But I belaive he lived in N. or S. Dakota where rest of his brothers and sisters lived.
I have read about where the ships were going, and saw that Rollo was going between Kristiania -Christiansand - Hull, England, and most of the emigr. travelled by train to Liverpool and took ship from there to New York or another place.
In the Dig.ark. it was standing New York where Karelius should go.
Is it any register I can find passenger who emigr. from England to USA?

Thanks you both for much help and info!

Liv
Go to Top of Page

livtjern
Medium member

Norway
102 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2007 :  00:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must tell you that Karelius's parents w/family lived at a farm Tekstebakken from ca. 1845 to ca. 1870 (5) and then they moved to another farm with the name Tomteberget. Some of his brothers and sisters used Hanson, Tekstebakken and some Hanson, Tomteberget when they emigr. In Norway peoples use "sen" in the surname but in USA they changed it to "son".

Liv
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2007 :  00:26:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Liv,

I'll tell you what I've been trying to do to find the ship he sailed on from England to the US. I've been searching for his name, along with the others that he sailed with on the Rollo, particularly, Brede Johnsen, who is listed right after him and is also from Vinger. http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=2&filnamn=emikra1&gardpostnr=46168&merk=46168#ovre

So far, I haven't found them, so I'll try the census. I think that you are probably right that he settled near where the rest of his family did, but he did list New York as his destination, so you never know.

The others all kept the surname Hanson in the US, didn't they? I would think that he would of done the same, but I'll search using the farm names too! I wouldn't make the jump to "Berg" right away, since that seems a big change from Tomteberget. It could be possible, but ...

I'll keep looking.
Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

livtjern
Medium member

Norway
102 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2007 :  01:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's fine you will look for Hansons!
I mean that he used Hanson, too, but his first name was Karelius, (long name), so he can have changed that, too.
It's many Carl Hanson at Ancestry.com, (passenger lists), but it's closed some way there, it's standing free trial, but I don't understand that right, how I can find more there. I can write little english, but not so good to read (understand).
From to morrow to next Friday I'm not at home, because we are going away for Holidays, so I have to wate for a week before I can look at this page again! Hope some have found out some interesting!

Liv
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2007 :  05:35:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Liv,

Your writing is just fine. I understand what you're saying. There are many Carl Hanson's, we just have to figure out if one of them is the right one or if he may have used a different name. I remember that the other Karelius in your family, still used that name when he came here, though it often got misspelled in the census. It may take some searching, but hopefully we will find him.

I will be gone for a couple of days also, but will search when I get back. Enjoy your vacation.

Take care, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

repete009
Starting member

Japan
21 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2007 :  10:56:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Liv,
Karelius Hansen Tekstebakken, born 12 March 1862, to Hans Eriksen Duelien and Maren Olsdatter Hellerud, is the younger brother of my Great-grandfather, Hans, born 19 April 1854.
On 06 June 1872, Hans departed Kristiania for Bergen on the coastal steamer - Ganger Rolf. On 10 June 1872, he departed Bergen for New York on the S/S St. Olav, arriving in New York City on 01 July 1872. Hans went directly to Decorah, Iowa, where another brother was living. In 1877 he married; and in 1878 they migrated to Hatton, Traill County, Dakota Territory.
(I had a note that said Karelius emigrated in 1881, but that could be wrong.)
If you wish, you may contact me at "repete009@gol.com"
I would be happy to share what family info I DO have and work with you in finding more about Karelius.
Have a nice day!
Clark in Japan
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2007 :  20:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Clark,
Have you read the other "topic" that Liv had? I helped her with the U.S. side of the search. I think she is in touch with someone from the Hans Hanson line or was at one time, because she had info on his marriage, immigration and where he settled. Here is the link. http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3279

Now you've found a relative!
Take care, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2007 :  20:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Liv,
I've been looking at the ships that have sail from Liverpool to New York after April 7, 1882. So far, I've ruled out two ships, the SS Celtic and the SS Egypt. I'll continue to search.

You had asked about ancestry.com and if you just have a trial membership, you may not have access to all of their information. That is how they get you to join. You may see a name indexed, but you can't get to the actually information. If you are able to go into Immigration records on there, then put in the year, and departure from Liverpool and arrival in New York. That should lead you to the ships and then you can narrow it down by month and then day. I used the list of ships from this site, to figure out which ships to look at. http://www.norwayheritage.com/t_transatlantic.asp?month=04&year=1882
Hope you had a great vacation.
Take care, Wanda

Lislcat

Edited by - Lislcat on 19/07/2007 20:38:57
Go to Top of Page

repete009
Starting member

Japan
21 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2007 :  05:30:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wanda,
Thank you for the link to the 'hansen' thread. I have been pouring through everyone's chat on Liv's other topics ((Karelius (Carelius, Cornelius) Hanson, Kongsvinger // Olia Hanson, Ole Hanson, Kongsvinger // Engebret and Olea Hanson, Kongsvinger, Norway)), but was not aware of this one.
Now, I'm curious as to which of our 'cousins' you have been in touch with, Liv! I am guessing it is CONNIE. She's done a lot of work on that side of our family.
I have almost 800 descendents of HANS HANSEN in my database. Would love to expand my 'facts' on his ancestors.
Have a nice day!
Clark in Japan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article