All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The voyage
 Ireland Norway
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

John Foley
Ireland-Norway special member

Ireland
109 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2007 :  15:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The visit of the "Hannah Parr" to the Shannon and Limerick during May of 1868 is well reported in the excellent article by Clair O. Haugen & James Overdahl. The following additional information may be of interest, the visit coincided with political upheaval in Ireland and Britian (Fenian Rising and the dis-establishment of the church) The presence of the preachers and tract sellers at the docks was a cause of particular irritation to Capt. Larsen and crew. The docks area and road layout of the city has changed little. The efforts of the citizens to make the visit less traumatic are interesting. The descriptions of the passengers and the games the children played are amusing in particular a type of wrestling game popular with the adults also a game played by the children called "Fox" I will print the transcribed details if they are of interest.
There is a emigrants including Norwegian "Hannah Parr"Visitors festival May of 2008 in Limerick with music and fun. will keep you informed.

John

Edited by - John Foley on 19/04/2008 21:31:58

dianefranco

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2007 :  06:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am very much interested! My great-grandmother, Eline Johannesdatter Brakke, was on the ship with her father, mother, and siblings; see: 260-266

A few years ago, while I was rummaging through his basement, my uncle pulled out a very old trunk. He said it belonged to his grandmother (Eline) when she came from Norway. I treasure that old thing now that I know its history.
Go to Top of Page

John Foley

Ireland
109 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2007 :  13:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Report May 16th.1968.
"To the credit of the citizens of Limerick contributions have been proposed for the relief of those involuntary but worthy visitors, how would we feel if some of our people were similarly circumstanced , driven into a foreign port, unable to interchange an intelligible word with the residents ,friendless or foodless after escaping the perils of the seas and undergoing terror and hardship for weeks in succession. Who would not pity them in the condition of these simple and honest petitioners"
Francis Counihan Rutland Street, Limerick 16th.May 1868.

John

Edited by - John Foley on 24/08/2007 13:39:54
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2007 :  13:47:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a number of articles on this website about that long voyage of the Hannah Parr. Enter the word 'Parr' into the option Search Articles and at least 7 articles which have that as their main subject or mention the ship will be offered for you to read.
The Search Articles option is available on most pages of this website and is usually located near the bottom center of the page displayed.
Go to Top of Page

John Foley

Ireland
109 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2007 :  14:04:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for that, my particular interest is the well documented impressions of the emigrants by the Limerick people including the trades people who worked on the "Hannah Parr" . The reports of correspondence in the Limerick Chronicle are a reaction to the inital complaint made to the immigration office by the editor of the "Limerick and Clare Advocate" The comfort of the passengers was not helped by the construction work, the new dock was just completed and the graving dock was under construction.The necessity of the passengers to disembark every day and walk around the city brought the plight of some of the passengers to the attention of the citizens. I will tag onto the links you have suggested.

John
Go to Top of Page

John Foley

Ireland
109 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2007 :  17:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reports of the way the emigrants passed the time on the quays and in the city makes good reading, the events that attracted their interest included a baloon accent by a frenchman from the docks area(Steamboat Quay) The weather reported during May and June of 1868 was good, sunny and the passengers seemed to enjoy exploring the city.
Where did the majority of the emigrants eventually settle. Glad to see your ancestors made the journey safely
John
I am very much interested! My great-grandmother, Eline Johannesdatter Brakke, was on the ship with her father, mother, and siblings; see: 260-266

A few years ago, while I was rummaging through his basement, my uncle pulled out a very old trunk. He said it belonged to his grandmother (Eline) when she came from Norway. I treasure that old thing now that I know its history.
[/quote]

John

Edited by - John Foley on 29/12/2009 22:47:00
Go to Top of Page

dianefranco

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2007 :  18:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My ancestors, the Brakke's, first settled in La Crosse, Wisconsin. Between 1870 and 1880 part of the family moved to Yankton County, South Dakota where they homesteaded.
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2007 :  19:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dia duit John

Thanks for adding new information about this very special incident. When I get to learn more about the arrangement and exact dates I will certainly consider coming over to attend the event

Is mise le meas, Børge Solem

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

John Foley

Ireland
109 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2007 :  21:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The following is some of a report of the incessant attendance of preachers and tract sellers at the Hanna Parr as recorded by Maurice Lenihan in May and June of 1868. His exasperation at the many preachers who travelled to Ireland during the British parliamentary debates advocating the disestablishment of the Irish Anglican Church is obvious
"Several visitors have been on board more indeed, than appear to be good for the health or convenience of those who must be there; and among the seemingly stationery visitors are a few fashionably dressed Bible readers and tract distributors, who know just as much of the Norse tongue as they do of Hebrew, and that is nothing at all; but we must suppose from their constant attendance, that they are there earning their calling by fixing themselves down among the emigrants from morning till night.
The report continues,
Some of the crew speak English well. One of them a young lad, having been asked where he learned the language, replied at school at Lillehammer, a town distant about twelve miles north of Christiania, and he added that he could speak German perfectly well also. There are five other Norwegian vessels in port and the captains and crew are very attentive to their countrymen; and they seem to think that the vessel demands thorough ventilation and the removal of the emigrants, at least for a few days, to the sheds already indicated. Last evening there were some national trios and quartets very pleasingly sung by the emigrants, many of whom are evidently comfortable; but not a few of whom would require attention at which we have briefly hinted. We have received some letters relative to a public subscription on their behalf; but we have been made aware that that question is in the hands of the Norwegian Consul; Mr. M. R. Ryan we would prefer not publishing letters which could lead to no Practical result.

John

Edited by - John Foley on 29/12/2009 22:49:14
Go to Top of Page

John Foley

Ireland
109 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2007 :  21:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Games played by Hannah Parr passengers as reported 2nd. June 1868 Maurice Lenihan
He reports on the progress of repairs to the ship, the impending visit from London of the Norwegian Consul-General, he also mentions the local consul M.J. Ryan He continues "meanwhile the emigrants are enjoying themselves to their hearts content, apparently very happy. On Sunday evening they passed the time in dancing on the quay at the dock; whilst each week evening on deck, they indulge in the national game of fox a rather dangerous one apparently; and requiring nerve and muscular power. It is played in this way:- two men lie supine on deck, head to head, with the right arm of one locked into the left arm of the other; each then raises a leg-one the right-the other the left and so continue until the heel of the one is caught in that of the other, when both pull as violently as possible-and pull, and pull, with legs thus locked until the weaker is thrown over, rendered altogether powerless.
Children of tender age also play another game which requires strength too; a soft cordage or rope is tied at either end, and placed on the back part of the heads of the two children, who on all fours drag in different ways, and the weaker, nolens volens, going after the stronger. There are other games in which they indulge too, but in each and in all the muscles are brought into active requisition. The dances are those which are sometimes taught in Irish schools, such as the waltz, the polka &c The Norwegians seem to have formed no appreciation of the old Irish jig. The destination of these emigrants, who are all, though many of them of the small farmer class, very well educated, not a few of them speaking four languages grammatically, is Menesota (sic), some twelve hundred or fifteen hundred miles from Quebec where they are to land, it near lake Superior and lake Michigan, where for many years, there has been a Norwegian colony.- They are indeed a cheerful, gay and exceedingly amiable sort of people.¨
2nd.June 1868

This short 1908 film by London born inventor and pioneer cinematographer Robert William Paul (1869-1943) shows Norwegian and Irish workers at the Rusheen Iniskea County Mayo whaling station. If you wish to avoid the whaling sequences, the leisure time activities of Norwegian-Irish workers are towards the end of the film. I believe it shows both games described by Maurice Lenihan when visiting the Hannah Parr namely Rævkrok and the rope game played on all fours by the Norwegian children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1xHuWppIXU

The boats involved in the enterprise were the Alectro, the Erling and the Carsten Bruun (Owner skipper Captain Lorentz Bruun) who later operated his own Norwegian Irish whaling station, Captain Bruun’s daughter Alice Bruun later (1913) visited the area and documented her observations.
Two Norwegians listed as caretakers in the 1911 census are
Ivar Mikkelsen Age 33 in 1911
Johan P Johansen Age 28 in 1911

John

Edited by - John Foley on 26/03/2011 13:39:38
Go to Top of Page

John Foley

Ireland
109 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2007 :  22:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The following is a report of the weather in Ireland during the visit of the "Hannah Parr"
"There is a loud cry for rain, all over Europe. In Spain a short harvest is threatened for want of rain. In France the wells are drying up and the farmers are crying out to the government, as if it was in the power of the government to give water, In Ireland, the prospects are glorious though some rain would be of the utmost use. For 42 years there has not been such heat."
19th. June 1868 Limerick & Clare Vindicator.

John

Edited by - John Foley on 24/08/2007 22:06:14
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2007 :  22:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Foley

Games played by Hannah Parr passengers as reported 2nd. June 1868 Maurice Lenihan
.... On Sunday evening they passed the time in dancing on the quay at the dock; whilst each week evening on deck, they indulge in the national game of ¡§fox¡¨ a rather dangerous one apparently; and requiring nerve and muscular power. It is ¡§played¡¨ in this way:- two men lie supine on deck, head to head, with the right arm of one locked into the left arm of the other; each then raises a leg-one the right-the other the left and so continue until the heel of the one is caught in that of the other, when both pull as violently as possible-and pull, and pull, with legs thus locked until the weaker is thrown over, rendered altogether powerless. ...
It is called Rævkrok in Norwegian

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

John Foley

Ireland
109 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2007 :  10:08:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Condition of some passengers; Saturday May 16th 1868 as reported in the Munster News,Limerick & Clare Vindicator.
"The sooner a fund is organised by benevolence for the poor amongst the strangers the better. Several seem to be in a state of distress,or they need not and probably would not accept alms, they are of an honest race, and if they had abundance would not go to beg,to the hospitality or sympathy of the householders, indeed by as example they,they that are enfeebled for food. A father and mother were seen on Wednesday last, and the fact can be testified beyond all question, thankfully accepting a dole of cold boiled potatoes at a door in this street, The mother had an infant in her arms and she must have known it was affected by hunger she could not intelligibly express, but she looked her thanks, and she at once peeled some of the cold tubers and fed her child.
The Father received the remainder of the offering, and with some apparent feeling of shame scooped them into his pocket, probably the poor fellow had plenty once in his northern home, and only yielded to physical craving when he accepted the kind gratuity.

The stance taken by the newspapers differs, the Chronicle plays down the reality of distress among some of the Norwegian emigrants, obvious to the people of Limerick.

John

Edited by - John Foley on 29/12/2009 22:54:30
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2007 :  11:56:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Foley

Borge,
Is that game popular all over Norway?

It is mainly popular in the rural districts today and they use to have contests at some festivals. Besides that it is most commonly conducted at drinking parties, much in the same manor as hand wrestling. The game has been popular ever since the Viking age. You can see an example of Rævkrok on a short video at Snutter.no. Please, if you are offended by seeing a pair of drunken and vulgar Norwegians wrestling Rævkrok wearing nothing else than shorts, do not click the link.

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2007 :  13:19:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The video clarified it completely. We played that same game when I was in elementary school in Iowa, USA. We called it Indian wrestling there. Now I've got to get out my Haugen dictionary and TRY to learn to say the Norwegian word.
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2007 :  15:40:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you Borge, for an entertaining video!
We too call it Indian wrestling, but as Hopkins says, it is really only popular with the young here. My husband also did it when he was young, but isn't Norwegian. Arm wrestling, is usually what you see adult men do.

John, now you've peaked my interest and I'm going to have to read more about the Hannah Parr. Maybe you've thought of this, but a compilation of letters from the Hannah Parr, along with the story, would make for a great book.

Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article