All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Lars Mikkelson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gordon McMann
Starting member

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2007 :  05:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mother's father, Lars Mikkelson, was born in 1869 in Norway.
The 1865 census shows his family living on Stordeglum Farm, Furnes, Vang. His parents were Mikkel Jenssen and Karen Poulsdatter or Paulsdatter. This was confirmed by the Statsarkivet in Hamar. I assume that the family was still living there when Grandpa was born.
I would like to know more about Stordeglum farm and I would like to know where it is.
I found a picture on the Internet that apparently places it near the Furnes Church. I would appreciate any help you can give me.
Thank you
Gordon Mcmann.

Gordon McMann

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2007 :  13:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lars Mikkelson born 19 Feb 1868 on a 'plass' of the Stordeglum farm, Furnes parish, Vang district, Hedmark, Norway.
Baptism 5 April 1868

The farm may be included in a published Norwegian book of farm histories and genealogical information on farm residents in Vang, Hedmark co., Norway -- "Vangsboka", 3 volumes by Odd Stensrud.

Edited by - Hopkins on 29/10/2007 13:58:53
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2007 :  13:55:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stordeglum is in Vang parish north of Hamar town in Hedmark county next to Furnes church build 1707 at Ringsaker

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 29/10/2007 14:04:40
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2007 :  23:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Deglum store farm in Rignsaker, Hedmark is just east of the Furnes church. The farm is mentioned in Furnes bygdebok.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Gordon McMann
Starting member

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2007 :  02:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for your help.
A cousin from the United States recently contacted me. She found my name and address on a family tree website that I had posted on the Internet.
I had tried, in the past to find the location of the farm without success. I am glad that I found your website.
This cousin and her sister may go to Norway. Her grandmother and my grandfather were brother and sister. Now she can go and visit our Norwegian roots.
My website is down for some reason. We are looking into it.

I have one more question.
Two of my grandfather's brothers stayed in Norway.
Their name were Jens Jenssen and Karl Jenssen.
Is there some way I can find out if some of their descendants are still living?
I'm sure the cousins would like to visit them if they go to Norway, if there are descendants and they are agreeable.
Again, many thanks for your help locating Stordeglum Farm.

Gordon McMann

Gordon McMann
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2007 :  14:34:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
hard to find relatives in Norway.
Perhaps an avertice in the local newspaper Ringsaker blad could help you.
Enter down left Kundeservice - Kontakt avisa and send an "e-post til redaksjonen", the staff, and ask for help.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2007 :  17:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gordon McMann

Two of my grandfather's brothers stayed in Norway. Their name were Jens Jenssen and Karl Jenssen.
Gordon McMann
Wouldn't they be your grandfather's uncles???

It would also help if you could provide some more info about them, like when they were born, where they lived, got married etc...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Gordon McMann
Starting member

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2007 :  19:16:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I should have provided more information.

The following came from Statsarkivet i Hamar in 1971 in reply to a letter that I sent to Statsarkivet i Lillehammer. Family lore had always said that Grandfather Lars Mikkelson had come from Lillehammer and my letter was sent there with not much hope of getting any information as I had so little to go on other than his name and birth date. You can perhaps imagine the interest this letter created in the family. Grandpa Lars and Grandma Milla had 14 children, twelve of whom were still living when the letter arrived. Copies were sent to all of them and to many others of the family who were interested in our Norwegian roots.

Excerpt from a letter dated July 14, 1971 from Statsarkivet i Hamar [State Archives in Hamar]

"In reply to your letter of June 15, 1971. In the Parish register of Furnes [one of the parishes in Hedmark "County”] 1855-79 [page 11], we have found that Lars was born February 19, 1868. He was a son of Mikkel Jenssen and his wife Karen Paulsdatter. Mikkel Jenssen was at that time a crofter, his dwelling place belonging to the farm Stor-Deglum.

According to the census returns of Vang [also a parish in Hedmark] 1875 [ vol. 2,5,63 ] the following family lived at Inngjerdingen, a place belonging to Stor-Deglum:
Mikkel Jensen, born 1824, and his wife Karen Paulsdatter, born 1831. Both were born in Furness. They had the following children:
Karl, born 1862, Jens, born 1866, Lars, born 1868, Peder, born 1871, and Mina, born 1874."

Mikkel Jensen and his wife Karen Paulsdatter enigrated to the United States. The three youngest children, Lars, Mina and Peder also emigrated and all of them eventually came to St. John, North Dakota. I am of the opinion that they came to the States at different times.

Grandpa Lars and his wife Grandma Milla and their family moved to Alberta, Canada in 1926. Their daughter Madeline was my mother.

As far as I have been able to determine, Karl and Jens stayed in Norway. I have never been able to find any information about them in Canada or the States. Everyone in Lars’ family was of the opinion that Karl and Jens stayed in Norway. My mother and her older brothers and sisters knew all of those who came to the States. Unfortunately they didn’t ask questions about the family history. Too young I guess.

I have tried for some years to find out where Stordeglum Farm was located. It was only when I found this website that I thought I might be successful and thanks to all of you, I have been.

I hoped that when I found the farm location that perhaps there would be a chance to find some cousins, descendants of Karl and Jens. That is still my hope.

As a matter of interest, three parts of my ancestry is from Norway.

Grandpa Lars came from Hedmark.
His wife Milla was born in Portland, North Dakota and her parents, Syver Arneson and Gunhild Mikkelsdatter, came from Bruflat, Oppland.
My father’s mother came from Gol, Hallingdal, Buskurud.

A fourth or fifth cousin in Bergen, Norway, who I found quite by accident, has sent me much information going back to 1570 about the ancestors of Syver Arneson and Gunhild Mikkelsdatter.

Around 1980, a Norwegian vaccination certificate from about 1880 was found in my father’s mother’s trunk. I sent this to Statsarkivet, Oslo and they were able to give me a lot of information about her family and I found some cousins in Gol and corresponded with one of them for several years. Fortunately, I had a friend in Campbell River, from Norway, who was able to translate our letters both coming and going.

I suppose that I have given you more information than you needed but my Norwegian roots go deep. The family of Grandpa Lars Mikkelson is the only one with which I have had no contact.

I hoped it might be possible to find someone in Norway, descended from Karl or Jens, with whom I might correspond and close the circle so to speak.

And I mentioned in an earlier post that two American cousins are considering a trip to Norway. They are descended from Mina. If they could meet some of our Norwegian cousins, we would be very happy.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Gordon McMann

Gordon McMann
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2007 :  20:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kåre is right - it can be hard to find living relatives almost anywhere.
You are faced with privacy issues - most countries restrict access to most recent information. For example, the US currently keeps census information private until 72 years after the census date to protect the privacy of living individuals. Norway has a 100 year privacy limit on censuses.
Many governmental entities are learning the hard way that they have to limit easy access to such items as birth registrations, death registers, marriage files. It gets harder all the time to bypass these restrictions.

BUT if you are a lucky person you might be able to find some living relatives.
#1 - Make sure that you have done your homework well and that you can identify your Norway born ancestors properly by name(s) used and where and when they lived and died.
#2 - Hope that someone in that side of the family has developed their own interest in family history and might recognize your common family links.
#3 - Continue your family history research and post your most accurate information about early ancestors (name, place and time) in areas where others might be looking for information too. (Be absolutely sure NOT to post private information about yourself or your known living relatives online.) If someone related to the same ancestors and sees your postings - hope that they have a tiny bit of interest in contacting distant cousins.

Writing a personal interest letter to a local newspaper in Norway might prove productive. Again, make sure the names, places and dates of your ancestor(s) from the area are identifiable.

You might also try to find any local genealogical and/or historical societies in that area of Norway. They might help and they may have interest in knowing what happened to emigrants from their area.

I've never deliberately looked for living relatives in Norway - but we've stumbled across each other anyway. A couple years ago a man in Stavanger posted a message on THIS website asking for some assistance to hopefully find out what happened to a couple of great uncles that had left for the US and the family had lost track of. I happened to think the names familiar and did a little bit of searching in some US census and Iowa county records for him. A little work and I became convinced that these two men were also cousins of one of my great grandparents. It took a few more days of exchanging information and YES - a distant cousin who lives in Stavanger and is interested in family history. We compared notes and we'd duplicated the same research of the family tree.
I've met a few others too - for example, a man visited here in my city from his home in Oslo and I'd gone with a group of locals to meet the man we'd corresponded with for several years. I had carried my laptop to the meeting and while others were talking I played with a list of names of my own ancestors. Our visitor happened to glance at the screen a few minutes later and asked "Why do you have THAT name in your list? You can't have her -- she's MINE!" Since then we've determined about 4 other family ties between us. Small world.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2007 :  20:03:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl (b 27-JUL-1862) and Jens (b 06-MAR-1865) would probably be named Mikkelsen, since their father was Mikkel Jenssen.

Some possibilities:
Karoline Mikkels. (22) from Furnæs, emigrating to La Crosse on 05-MAY-1882. The churchbook says she is from Stor-Deglum eie, born 1859, confirmed 1873.

Karl Mikkelsen ( 22), from Wang, Hedmark, emigrating to La Crosse on 05-MAR-1885.

Lars Mikkelsen (18) from Hamar, emigrating to La Crosse on 05-MAR-1886.

Jens Mikkelsen (23) from Furnæs, emigrating to Chicago on 04-MAY-1888. The churchbook says he is from Stor-Deglum eie, born 1865.

Mina Mikkels. (17) from Furnæs, emigrating to West Salem on 20-MAR-1891.

Peder Mikkelsen (20) from Furnæs, emigrating to Onalaska on 20-MAR-1891. (Same date as Mina Mikkels.)

West Salem and Onalaska are cities in La Crosse, Wisconsin. Looks like all the children of Mikkel & Karen emigrated, and most of them to La Crosse...?
Have you checked the US-1900 census for La Crosse, Wis?
I also found one Karen Jens. (61, married), from Vang, Hedmark, emigrating to La Crosse on 18-MAR-1892..., could be their mother...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 31/10/2007 00:08:17
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2007 :  21:18:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gordon McMann

Mikkel Jensen, born 1824, and his wife Karen Paulsdatter, born 1831. Both were born in Furness. They had the following children:
Karl, born 1862, Jens, born 1866, Lars, born 1868, Peder, born 1871, and Mina, born 1874."
Gordon McMann
In addition, I believe they had these two girls:
Kristine Mikkelsdr, chr 25 NOV 1855, Furnes, Hedmark
Parents: Mikkel Jensen & Karen Poulsdr, Solberg-eie

Karoline Mikkelsdr, chr 13 NOV 1859, Furnes, Hedmark
Parents: Mikkel Jensen & Karen Poulsdr, Store-Deglum

Lars Mikkelsen is born 19-FEB-1868
Peder Mikkelsen is born 19-MAY-1871
Mina Mikkelsdr is born 20-APR-1874

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 31/10/2007 00:17:39
Go to Top of Page

Gordon McMann
Starting member

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2007 :  00:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to each and all of you for all of the information you have given to me.
And, my apologies for the delay in replying.

I have a few more questions. I think the answers will add interest to the family tree.

Does the farm name have an English translation? One dictionary translates stor as large but there seems to be no word for deglum.

As I mentioned, in an earlier post, the letter from Statsarkivet I Hamr said, “According to the census returns of Vang [also a parish in Hedmark] 1875 [vol. 2,5,63 ] the following family lived at Inngjerdingen, a place belonging to Stor-Deglum:”

Does Inngjerdingen have an English translation? I assume that Inngjerdingen was a small part of Stor Deglum.

The 1865 census shows Mikkel Jenssen’s occupation [yrke] as Husmand med jorg, huseier og smed. The best I can do is translate this as crofter or renter of a house and some land, householder or homeowner and smith, which I assume is blacksmith.
Is it possible that he could have actually owned the house and land?

The census also says he owns stortkveg 1, far 2, geit 1, bygg 1/8, blandkorn 3/8, and poteter 3/4.

I understand what some of this means but I would appreciate your translations, and, I wonder if this would give you any idea of the size of Inngjerdingen.

Mikkel Jenssen’s grandfather’s name was “Johans Andersen Daehlie-eie”. My notes say that this information came from Statsarkivet I Oslo. I was told that ‘eie’ meant that he owned Daehlie. I see on one of the maps the name Daelie and it is near Furnes. Could that be the same place? Could he have owned the farm?

I must say I was surprised to hear that the whole family came to America. I was always under the impression that Karl and Jens had stayed in Norway. Some of the family thought that Karoline might have come to America but the name of the other daughter Kristine was unknown to us. Thanks to Jan Peter for supplying this information and the information about all of the emigrations of the family.

And I wish to thank all of you again for all of the information you have given to me.

Gordon McMann
Go to Top of Page

tcmayne
New on board

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2008 :  02:26:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gordon, My name is Tim and have been trying to follow my mother's family tree.
Her grandfather was Albert Jenssen and he apparently emigrated from Sweden in 1908...his father was a Karl Jenssen born circa 1865, although we are not sure where he originated from.

There is a possibility that they could be the same person,

As my mother's family is the only Jenssen family in Australia we are keen to find the rest of the family.

If you have any more information on the family I would love to hear from you.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2008 :  07:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deglum, old spelling from 1337 was Dæigulæims, the origin of the name is unknown, Store means Big and Læim means heim/ home, Dæig can be coming from Soft (soft land/soil).
Here is a picture of Storedeglum

Inngjerdingen means a small piece of land surrounded by a "gjerde" fence.

Husmand med jord, huseier og smed means a tenant farmer with land, housowner and smith

Stort kveg means a cow, far means cheep, geit means goat, bygg means barley , blandingskorn means mixed grain and poteter means potatoes.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 20/06/2008 07:36:45
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article