All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The ships
 SS Braunschweig 1873 - 1896
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ralvosika
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  19:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My great grandparents arrived in New York 29 Oct 1880 on the SS Braunschweig. Ship information indicates accomodations for 34 1st class, 33 2nd class, and 600 steerage.

However, my great grandparents are listed in steerage on line 960 - 967 with the last line number 1209. I cannot resolve the conflict between 600 steerage vs 1209 passenger names.

How many pasengers was the SS Braunschweig capable of carrying?

Richard J. Vosika

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  21:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where did you find that information about the accommodations? It should be observed the ships were often rebuilt, and the number of passengers in either class could be subject to change. If they removed 1st and 2nd class accommodation and used some of the cargo space they could easily accommodate 1200-1300 passenger steerage. I always find that these number were subject to changes through the lifetime of a ship.

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  21:33:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the Ships List website: http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/descriptions/ShipsB.html

"BRAUNSCHWEIG 1873
The BRAUNSCHWEIG was built by R.Steele & Co, Greenock, Scotland in 1873 for Norddeutscher Lloyd [North German Lloyd]. She was a 3079 gross ton ship, length 351.3ft x beam 39.1ft, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. There was accommodation for 34-1st, 33-2nd and 600-3rd class passengers. Launched on 1/4/1873, she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to Southampton and Baltimore on 9/9/1873. On 16/10/1880 she commenced sailing from Bremen to New York and after completing four round voyages on this service, was transferred on 13/1/1887 to the Bremen - Suez Canal - Far East run. On 13/1/1894, she resumed the Bremen - New York service and after eleven voyages, the last commencing 14/1/1896, continued on the Naples - New York run but on 30/5/1896, she commenced her last voyage and was scrapped the same year. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2]"

Perhaps groups specializing in emigrants from Germany and/or ship lists from Germany might have additional information.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  21:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Borge;

here is the passenger list for the 1880 October crossing between Bremen, Germany and New York.

Several sites, among them this and this states "accommodation for 34 passengers in 1st class, 33 in 2nd class, and 600 in steerage; crew of 99."

It doesn't match up with the passenger list from Immigrantships.net...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  11:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe all the sites listed are referring to the same source for the accommodation info, which is the book "North Atlantic Seaway; An Illustrated History of the Passenger Services Linking the Old World with the New" by Noel Reginald Pixell Bonsor. Bonsors work is usually very reliable, and most of his data comes from sources like the Lloyds Registry and contemporary newspapers. When Bonsor used Lloyds, he usually gave the data as when the ship was new, or when the data was first found in the registry. This according to his foreword in the mentioned book.. This leaves us with the following options:

1. Bonsor made a mistake
2. Bonsor's source was wrong
3. The owner refitted the ship to take more steerage passengers some time during the lifetime of the ship
4. The ship carried more steerage passenger then what she was registered for
5. The passenger list is wrong
6. It was another ship
7. The ship carried the passengers of another disabled ship (not likely)
8. Something else which I have not though of

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

ralvosika
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  15:53:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the fine info - and the quick response. Of all the possible explanations you have provided, I suspect a retrofit took place or possibly an overload. I believe the manifest and ship and date are correct since I have immigration papers supporting these facts.

Always open to new info. Thanks again.

Richard J. Vosika
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article