All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Need info about Evju travelling to America ?1912?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Shariwa
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  18:53:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi my name is Shari.

Parents:

Sandra M. Evju (maiden name)
Born July 16, 1950

Duane Cokonougher
Born: ? (will update)
Died: Aug. 19, 1983 or 1985

Mother's Parents:

Walter Evju
Born: April 14,1924
Died: Jan. 17, 2001

Ellen French (maiden name)
Born: May 14, 1924
Died: March 31,2001

We are from Massachusetts

The little bit of info I have is very unreliable.

I want to verify my family heritage and what I've been told.

This is the little bit of unreliable info I have:

My Grand Father's Mother was about 5 or 6 years old when she came to America with her parents in 1912. They were supposed to travel on the Titanic, but because my Great Grand mother had Chicken Pox, they wouldn't allow her on the ship.

I was also told there is a town in Norway called: Evjutown and our family is the "owner" of this town.

I would like to verify this info is true and correct, and I'd like to know more about my family tree.

Shariwa

Edited by - Shariwa on 07/12/2007 20:24:48

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  21:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Shari,
I found an Evju family from Christiania (Oslo, Norway) who arrived in New York on "S/S Norge" on Oct 10, 1902.
Their destination was Everett, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.

Marie Evju (36) with children:
Aagot (10)
Sigrid ( 8)
Sverre (4y 6m)
Bjarne (3)
Erling (7m)

Marie's husband Johan Evju had arrived earlier.

Here they are in census-1900 for Oslo.

Wonder if they could be related somehow to your family? Do you recognize any names...?

Do you know the name of Walter's mother?

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 07/12/2007 21:45:24
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  22:03:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Walter Evju's application for a Social Security Number should give information about his parents. You can get that from the Social Security Administration.
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  22:20:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a place called Evju, Norway. Click here:

http://www.norway.com/directories/d_map.asp?id=21969&lang=44

Les
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  00:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Worth a try?
In addition to farm Evju in Sauherad / Telemark (Lester´s Evju) which is a country courtyard and Evjua in Norderhov / Buskerud , several farms or persons with surname Evju can be located to the Kongsberg - Flesberg -Sandsvĉr districkt in Buskerud.

Need some names.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  00:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't something wrong? Walter Evju's MOTHER came from Norway as a young girl. But if she married in the US why would we be looking for an Evju? In the US a woman almost always changes her name when she marries. So Walter's father should have been named Evju -- not his mother.

Is there something else to the story? More US sources need to be checked. Something seems very wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Shariwa
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  09:42:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

Isn't something wrong? Walter Evju's MOTHER came from Norway as a young girl. But if she married in the US why would we be looking for an Evju? In the US a woman almost always changes her name when she marries. So Walter's father should have been named Evju -- not his mother.

Is there something else to the story? More US sources need to be checked. Something seems very wrong.

I'm not sure what you are saying.
This is the information I have.
What more are you trying to make of this?
I can only give the info I have, which I stated is VERY unreliable.
This is why I am on this site attempting to verify what little info I have.

Shariwa
Go to Top of Page

Shariwa
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  09:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

Hi Shari,
I found an Evju family from Christiania (Oslo, Norway) who arrived in New York on "S/S Norge" on Oct 10, 1902.

Aagot (10)
Sigrid ( 8)
Sverre (4y 6m)
Bjarne (3)
Erling (7m)

Wonder if they could be related somehow to your family? Do you recognize any names...?

Jan Peter

I don't think any of them would be related to me since my family didn't arrive in America until 1912.

I don't recognize any names because I wasn't given any names by my birth family.

I think Walter's Mom's name MAY have been Gertrude. I'm very unsure of that. I only met her once when I was in my mid teen years. That was over 20 years ago. She was ??90?? when she passed. I wish I had more info, but my family is unwilling to share for some reason. i have done some research to come up with the info I stated in my post. I had to call a newspaper in Mass. to check and make sure that the Ellen I had an obit for was my Grandmother. I wasn't sure , and am still wondering if I have the correct info. I still can't find the correct info for my Dad and his side of the family.

Shariwa
Go to Top of Page

Shariwa
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  10:01:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Walter Evju's application for a Social Security Number should give information about his parents. You can get that from the Social Security Administration.

I do have an ss# for A Walter Evju, which I got on line this afternoon. I also have an Army Registration with a serial number, but, again, I'm not even sure it's him. I tried to verify the info I found by doubling back and checking facts, but they are so scrambled on the web that it is difficult to find the info needed and some important bits of info are missing completely, such as in the obits for my G.Parents, the DOB is missing in both obits. It lists surving children, which matches up with my family but doesn't list parents names or where they were from. Another thing it lists different is that I was sure my G.Ma told me she was born in Mass, but it says she was born somewhere else, another state. I'm so confused as to how this works.

Shariwa
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  11:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shariwa

I don't think any of them would be related to me since my family didn't arrive in America until 1912.

Shariwa
Hi,
I have no reason to say that this is Walter's "closest" family, but this family could e.g. "contain" an uncle, aunt, cousin or something, of Walter. We have to start somewhere...

Normally relatives emigrated to the same area, and these people went to Massachusetts, which was not a very common destination for Norwegians. Do you know if some family members ever lived in Middlesex County?

And 1912 could be mixed up with 1902, if you only have it written down on a paper. But then again, the Titanic story doesn't fit...
The best way forward would be be find Walter's parents. From SSDI:

Walter Evju
Birth Date: 4 Apr 1924
Death Date: 17 Jan 2001
SSN: 023-16-2479
ZIP Code: 02184
Localities:
Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts
Braintree Highlands, Norfolk, Massachusetts
Braintree Hld, Norfolk, Massachusetts
E Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts
East Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts

Is there a way to find his birth record?

The Army Registration card is for sure him. Walter R Evju lived in Suffolk, Massachusetts when he was enlisted on 25-MAR-1943. Probably around Boston. Have any US-censuses been checked? The only Evju I could find in the 1930-census lived in Douglas, MN...

Where did the obit say your G.Ma was born? Minnesota?

Johan & Marie Evju which I linked to above, must have gone back to Norway, 'cause they are also listed in the emigrant protocols from Kristiania (Oslo) 0n 15 MAY 1914. Destination is Boston...

Johan Severin Johansen Evju, b. 16.05.1868
Tale Marie Johansen Evju, b. 21.09.1866. EDIT: Original chr record says d.o.b = 23.09.1866.
Sigrid Johansen Evju, b. 19.10.1894
Sverre Johansen Evju, b. 04.02.1897
Bjarne Johansen Evju, b. 24.02.1900
Erling Johansen Evju, b. 09.02.1902
Gulborg Johansen Evju, b. 28.11.1904

Could Gulborg be your Gertrude?

Jan Peter

ps: Walter could have the Evju name from his mother if she e.g. was a lone mother, his father had "run off", he was raised by his maternal grandparents etc etc... a lot of possibilities!

Edited by - jwiborg on 09/12/2007 04:52:20
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  14:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not everything is available on the Internet.

A copy of the original application for a social security number can be ordered from the Social Security Administration (they charge a fee for that). I'm aware that Walter is listed in the SSDI and his Social Security Number, birth date and death information are listed online -- that isn't the same as having the application form which contains additional information.

It might be possible to obtain a duplicate of Walter's birth certificate (or at least a birth information from a city/county register). That will probably require contacting the local governmental authority WHERE he was born. At least you already have good information on WHEN he was born - and that will help in the search for the birth documents.

The 1930 US census should capture Walter and his family in Massachusetts if he was born there in 1924 - but if the name is mispelled in the online indexes (like Ancestry or HeritageQuest) or even in the original pages of that census then you'll have to find another means to find them in that census.

The location where Walter grew up may have been covered by a local "directory" or a series of them - often done for metropolitan areas. Such older directories are often available at a historical or genealogical society - sometimes the LDS Family History Library collection will have microfilm copies available. Ask the advice of a historical or genealogical society in the Massachusetts area where they lived/died.

When Walter married he would have had to complete a form to receive a marriage license and often those forms required the names of the parents of the bride and groom. That record might still be available for review at the courthouse or in the 'county' where the marriage happened - or again the LDS Family History Library collection may have microfilmed copies in their collection.

A US serviceman in WWII had to have papers filed with his branch of the service listing his 'next of kin'. You might have to learn how to obtain such US military records.

You'll have to concentrate on gathering more information in the US like those mentioned above before you can hope to find links back to the older Norwegian records and earlier generations.
Go to Top of Page

Shariwa
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  22:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Shariwa

Shariwa
Hi,
I have no reason to say that this is Walter's "closest" family, but this family could e.g. "contain" an uncle, aunt, cousin or something, of Walter. We have to start somewhere...

Normally relatives emigrated to the same area, and these people went to Massachusetts, which was not a very common destination for Norwegians. Do you know if some family members ever lived in Middlesex County?

And 1912 could be mixed up with 1902, if you only have it written down on a paper. But then again, the Titanic story doesn't fit...
The best way forward would be be find Walter's parents. From SSDI:

Walter Evju
Birth Date: 4 Apr 1924
Death Date: 17 Jan 2001
SSN: 023-16-2479
ZIP Code: 02184
Localities:
Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts
Braintree Highlands, Norfolk, Massachusetts
Braintree Hld, Norfolk, Massachusetts
E Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts
East Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts

Is there a way to find his birth record?

The Army Registration card is for sure him. Walter R Evju lived in Suffolk, Massachusetts when he was enlisted on 25-MAR-1943. Probably around Boston. Have any US-censuses been checked? The only Evju I could find in the 1930-census lived in Douglas, MN...

Where did the obit say your G.Ma was born? Minnesota?

Johan & Marie Evju which I linked to above, must have gone back to Norway, 'cause they are also listed in the emigrant protocols from Kristiania (Oslo) 0n 15 MAY 1914. Destination is Boston...

Johan Severin Johansen Evju, b. 16.05.1868
Tale Marie Johansen Evju, b. 21.09.1866
Sigrid Johansen Evju, b. 19.10.1894
Sverre Johansen Evju, b. 04.02.1897
Bjarne Johansen Evju, b. 24.02.1900
Erling Johansen Evju, b. 09.02.1902
Gulborg Johansen Evju, b. 28.11.1904

Could Gulborg be your Gertrude?

Jan Peter

ps: Walter could have the Evju name from his mother if she e.g. was a lone mother, his father had "run off", he was raised by his maternal grandparents etc etc... a lot of possibilities!

Hi Jan,

Yes, we do have to start somwhere. I do believe the info you dug up is a verification. How exciting!!

My family is from Middlesex County! I know my G.parents lived in that area for quite some time. My Mom lived in the area as well.

I'm not sure, but I think the obit did say she was born in Minnesotta... or maybe it was Michigan?? I know it wasn't Mass, which confused me because I thought my family said they were from Mass originally. I remember looking at it yesterday thinking, that didn't match up with the info I thought to be true.
I remember something about Ohio as well. I think it said somehing about my Gpa being from Ohio.

The whole Titanic story does sound kinda silly, huh? I think someone in my family wanted to make it sound more interesting so they added a fable to it. It made me laugh when I heard it.

Another thing, my Gma's middle name starts with M. I think it may be Marie. I know my Mom's middle name is Marie and one of my sister's Middle name is Marie. could it be a family name?

I will look into the info you gave me. Maybe I can find the rest of my family in Norway!!!

Thank you!!! You are AWESOME!! Happy Holiday!!

Shariwa

Edited by - Shariwa on 08/12/2007 22:16:43
Go to Top of Page

Shariwa
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  22:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not everything is available on the Internet.

A copy of the original application for a social security number can be ordered from the Social Security Administration (they charge a fee for that). I'm aware that Walter is listed in the SSDI and his Social Security Number, birth date and death information are listed online -- that isn't the same as having the application form which contains additional information.

It might be possible to obtain a duplicate of Walter's birth certificate (or at least a birth information from a city/county register). That will probably require contacting the local governmental authority WHERE he was born. At least you already have good information on WHEN he was born - and that will help in the search for the birth documents.

The 1930 US census should capture Walter and his family in Massachusetts if he was born there in 1924 - but if the name is mispelled in the online indexes (like Ancestry or HeritageQuest) or even in the original pages of that census then you'll have to find another means to find them in that census.

The location where Walter grew up may have been covered by a local "directory" or a series of them - often done for metropolitan areas. Such older directories are often available at a historical or genealogical society - sometimes the LDS Family History Library collection will have microfilm copies available. Ask the advice of a historical or genealogical society in the Massachusetts area where they lived/died.

When Walter married he would have had to complete a form to receive a marriage license and often those forms required the names of the parents of the bride and groom. That record might still be available for review at the courthouse or in the 'county' where the marriage happened - or again the LDS Family History Library collection may have microfilmed copies in their collection.

A US serviceman in WWII had to have papers filed with his branch of the service listing his 'next of kin'. You might have to learn how to obtain such US military records.

You'll have to concentrate on gathering more information in the US like those mentioned above before you can hope to find links back to the older Norwegian records and earlier generations.

Hopkins,

Thank you. I will look into it. You are right. The internet is an unreliable source of info. I feel so frustrated. I will try to get the info about my Gpa's birth, service record, and marraige to my Gma. You are a wealth of information! Thank you for your help!

Shariwa

Edited by - Shariwa on 08/12/2007 22:10:48
Go to Top of Page

Shariwa
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  22:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lester Hanson

There is a place called Evju, Norway. Click here:

http://www.norway.com/directories/d_map.asp?id=21969&lang=44

Les

Hi Les,

I saw that during my search. It confused me, though because it's just a map.

I also saw the site for the town, but I swear someone in my family said it was called "Evjutown'. The name doesn't match up.

So I guess my family is just full of B.S. LOL!!
Nothing new. Gotta love the family! (HAH!)

So, the thing is that my family gave me the impression that our family is from some kind of royalty in Norway, In fact, someone said exactly that (suggested that is) I think it sounds RIDICULOUS!! Our family royalty?? Yea, RIIIIIGGGGGHHHHT!!

I got a huge laugh out of that one. In fact, it makes me chuckle even now.

Although.......... when I looked at the site it suggested that there were rich ?farmers? or something like that that owned the property and named the town. Hmm, I wonder.........?

Oh, GOD, If my family were to find out we actually are from money, they'd be killing each other off trying to get to it! LOL!!

...........Maybe I should change my profile?! LOL!!

Shariwa
Go to Top of Page

Shariwa
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  23:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG!!! I just entered Norfolk County into a google search! I think I hit a jackpot! My family IS from Norfolk County! We originated in the area and remained there even now. My Gparents had there children in Norfolk County, they were raised there and all of them remained in the area AND had their children in Norfolk County.

Shariwa
Go to Top of Page

Shariwa
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  23:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Shari,

Aagot (10)
Sigrid ( 8)
Sverre (4y 6m)
Bjarne (3)
Erling (7m)

Jan Peter

Jan,

My family has never spoken the language as far as I know. I grew up speaking English as did my Mom, her parents, and my GGma. that page is just gibberish to me. I saw the names, but can't make heads or tails of what it all means. Is there a way to translate it?

Shariwa
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article