All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Information on Margaret (Mickelstadther) Solberg
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 34

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2008 :  17:45:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Passenger list for the ship Victor, departure Trondheim Apr. 25 1866, arriving Quebec June 9:

Jossias Torstensen Boraas (44)
Ingeborg Hemmingsdatter Boraas (44)
Torsten Jossiassen Boraas (10)
Haagen Jossiassen Boraas (4)

Jan Peter

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2008 :  19:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So who is Mary Burros?

We know this:
  • Maria Gustava (Mary) Dahl Burros
  • Born 1879
  • Immigrated 1883
  • Married O.J. Burros in May 1898
  • Father Andrew Dahl
Emigration from Trondheim on 04 May 1881:
Anders Dahl (46), destination Osakis Minnesota

Emigration from Trondheim on 10 May 1882:
Ingeborg Dahl (38), destination Evansville, Ticket paid in America
Thora Dahl (15)
August Dahl (11)
Arnold Dahl (5)
Marie Dahl (4)
Signe Dahl (11m)

Census-1875.

Link

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 27/01/2008 19:22:06
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2008 :  20:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what we are left with, is actually the information you initially are seeking in this topic... :-)
Who is Margaret (Mickelstadther) Solberg?

Her new husband in the US (J.T. Burros) = Josias Torstensen Boraastrøen, christening: 01 JUL 1821, Hegra, Nord-Trøndelag
Her son O.J. Burros was married to Marie Dahl, daughter of Anders Andersen Nordtome Dahl & Ingeborg Andersdatter Torbergson Rembraut, found in Trondheim in census-1875.

Census-1900 index Margaret Mickelstadther Solberg as "Margaret Brown" b abt 1831

In census-1880, she could be widow "Margret Thomson b abt 1830", listed in Chippewa Douglas Minnesota.

But then she has two sons:
Theodore Thomson (21)
Olof Thomson (10)

And why is her last name Thomson?

I have searched the 1865-census for possibilities of Margaret Mikkelsdr born ab 1831, but not much luck so far...

I'm starting to question her lastname of Mikkelsdr, and husband Christian Solberg...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2008 :  01:08:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Hopkins and Jan Peter et al.

My head is swimming with all this information and I have been writing it down trying to make sense.

Do I understand correctly that it has been stated that Margaret Solberg now Margaret Burros had stated she has 2 children? OTher than Olaf, who is the other one?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2008 :  01:12:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Jan Peter. Did you determine who Mable O. Barros is? If she is a daughter of Olaf then it would be 2 years before he got married to Mary Dahl.

I also thought is was interesting that Mabel Irine Burros later became know as just Irene.....I wonder if it had something to do with Mabel O. Burros having been born earlier.

Erik.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2008 :  01:14:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

Passenger list for the ship Victor, departure Trondheim Apr. 25 1866, arriving Quebec June 9:

Jossias Torstensen Boraas (44)
Ingeborg Hemmingsdatter Boraas (44)
Torsten Jossiassen Boraas (10)
Haagen Jossiassen Boraas (4)

Jan Peter
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Jan Peter.

Thank you! This is getting really exciting....
Erik.

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2008 :  07:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
it's a lot of info, so I understand your puzzlement.

First,about Margaret:
In the 1900-census, she (Margaret Solberg / Margaret Burros) indicates that she is a mother of 2 children and that both are living.

In census-1880, Margaret could be widow "Margret Thomson b abt 1830", listed in Chippewa, Douglas, Minnesota.
On the same census-page is listed:
Theodore Thomson (21)
Olof Thomson (10) = O.J. Barrows.

So her other son would/could be Theodore, born about 1859 in Norway. This is a wild shot so far, but looks to be the only possibility in the 1880 census.
I think we need to find her in Norway before we can say that she had two sons though...

Secondly, about Mable O. Barros:
In Lake Mary twp, Douglas Co., MN 1910 is a Thomas? Barros or Burros, 54 yrs old, b. Norway, immigrated 1866
He is married and has 8 children, all born in Minnesota.

In 1900 census in Lake Mary twp is Thomas J. Barros, listed as 44 yrs old, b. Norway, immigrated 1866 and living with his Swedish born wife and children in the same house with his Swedish in-laws. (Mabel O. is the daughter of "Thomas J. Barros", b. 1897.)

And in the town of Alexandria, Douglas Co., MN 1910 is a Henry Barros, no age listed, b. Norway and a widower.

So Mable O. Barros b.1897 is the son of Thomas J. Barros and his swedish wife.

Thomas J. Barros is the legitimate son of Jossias Torstensen Boraas (44) (J.T. Burros) and his first wife Ingeborg Hemmingsdatter Boraas
In the emigration for the ship Victor (1866), he is listed as Torsten Jossiassen Boraas (10)

Jan Peter

Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2008 :  19:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Jan Peter.

First, I want to let you know that I have been in contact just his morning with the Recorder's office of Douglas county, MN. As a result I have ordered the marriage certificate between Josias and Margaret Barros...is how the name was spelled apparently. I also ordered the death certificate for Josias and Margaret. They both died in 1901.
Also, I have been in touch with a great aunt who is one of the great grand-daughters of Josias and Margaret, but she has no knowledge of them but is looking through anything she might have.
As I get anymore information I will post it and if you have any other thoughts please do the same. It has been a pleasure corresponding with you and Hopkins et al on this Norwegian Heritage Board.
Kindest Regards,
Erik.
[

Edited by - Erik Carsten on 28/01/2008 19:52:57
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2008 :  19:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Hopkins: Because of your and Jan Peter's help I have been able to order the marriage certificate for Josias and Margaret Barros, and also their death certificates. I have also been able to order the warranty deeds for land that Josias purchased, which he later sold to his step-son Olaf.

I still am very much in the dark about the origins of Margaret, but as I gather more information I will post it in hopes that you can be of further assistance.

Kindest Regards,
Erik.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2008 :  21:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The LDS Family History Center catalog also indicates the following is available for Douglas Co. :
Birth and marriage announcements from newspapers, ca. 1880-2004.
Birth, marriage and death record indexes, ca. 1865-2001 from the Douglas County Historical Society in Alexandria, Minnesota.
Obituary file, 1874-2004; obituary index, ca. 1874-2004; usually arranged by year and then last name of the person.
Minnesota state censuses: 1875, 1885, 1895, 1905

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

Of course, microfilm copies of all the federal censuses for the area are also available through them.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2008 :  23:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I'm quite sure we will be able to solve this mystery...

What would be interesting to know, is more info about her late husband Christian Solberg... place of birth would of course be bull's eye, but also minor "things" like e.g. middle initial would be of big value.

And what does the "J" in O.J. Burros stand for? Maybe his marriage record will reveal important information...

I think we'll have to wait for your certificates to arrive...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  20:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[
Regarding the search for Margaret's identity....you stated...

[/quote][i]I'm starting to question her lastname of Mikkelsdr, and husband Christian Solberg...

I just received the death certificate for Oluf Burros. It does list his father as Christofer (not Christian) Solberg and his mother as Margrit...and I can't make out the last name. It is something like Tergen, of Jurgen.

So you were right to question.

I am awaiting other documents and will post them as I receive them.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  23:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it said "Tergen, of Jurgen"?? or are you indicating that it might have said "Tergen" or "Jurgen"?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  01:22:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...no. I meant or. Tergen or Jergen. It was in cursive and I'm only guessing here. I'm getting some more documents hopefully in a few days that might give me some more clues.
thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  23:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

So what we are left with, is actually the information you initially are seeking in this topic... :-)
Who is Margaret (Mickelstadther) Solberg?

In census-1880, she could be widow "Margret Thomson b abt 1830", listed in Chippewa Douglas Minnesota.

But then she has two sons:
Theodore Thomson (21)
Olof Thomson (10)

And why is her last name Thomson?

Jan Peter

I have been in contact with the Douglas County Historical Society and they have a file on this Theodore Thomson and he is the son of the lady we are looking for. Only according to the historical society her name was Mary.

So these must be the people we are looking for.

I have received Oluf's ( her other son's) death certificate and it lists his mother as Margrit Jergen or Tergen, I can't read it but it is clear that they wrote her name as Mary first, then changed the "y" to a "g" and finished it with letters to spell out Margrit.

So I hope the file they are sending me explains how she is named Thomson. This is a Swedish name is it not? This could be quite a shock to the family if we suddenly discover that we are NOT Norwegian. NOt that there is anything wrong with that but we do tell alot of Swedish jokes in our family....and now the joke may be on us!
Kindest Regards,
Erik.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 34 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article