All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Information on Margaret (Mickelstadther) Solberg
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 34

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2008 :  02:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[Dear HOpkins.
thank you also for your help and interest. I guess the real objective here is to find out who this J.T. Burros is....and I thought that Margaret (mickelstadther) solberg would lead me to some information about him.

questions:

why did she stay in Goodhue county for 3 years with her infant son and not get married. how did she support herself? Or did she marry somebody there and did he die too? How did she get to know J.T. Burros all the way up in Alexandria area of Minnesota? What is the background of J.T. Burros? I mean, where did he come from? was he even Norwegian. It doesn't really matter because there is no blood of his in mine...but the family changed their name to his.

I have some information on O.J. Burros after he moved to Douglas County but nothing at all on J.T. Burros other than he farmed and owned 80 acres on section 18.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2008 :  02:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who are these people in the 1910 United States Federal Census for Douglas, MN?

Alof J Barras (Oluf J Borrus), b abt 1862 (1870?)
Maria Gastier Barras (Borrus), b abt 1878
Mable Irine Barras (Borrus), b abt 1899
Clara Amalio Barras (Borrus), b abt 1901
Elthel Barras (Borrus), b abt 1905
George Tarold Barras (Borrus), b abt 1909
Martin Barras (Borrus), b abt 1910

Edit: One "Mable O Barros b abt 1897" can be found in the 1900 US Census for Douglas, MN... a possible sister of Oluf J? Will need to view the original image to verify...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 26/01/2008 03:14:09
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2008 :  03:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While you continue your Minnesota research... things to watch for
WHEN the widow of Christian Solberg married "JT Burros".
When did JT Burros and Margaret each die?
Watch all records for "Margaret" being known by any other name, nickname or a middle name. That might be vital.
Don't miss ANY possible references to LOCATIONS in Norway. If you aren't sure it is a location - keep a careful note anyway! It might be recognizable to someone else.
Look into church records where they may have been members of the congregation, area cemetery/gravestones, any local newspapers, probate records, county/town printed histories, etc. And when you search all old records (including censuses) - keep in mind that the spellings can be HORRIBLE!! and wildly varied.
Gather all the details you can find. But jump and down if you can find WHEN 'Margaret' was born and WHERE in Norway she lived or even which Norwegian port she sailed from.
Go to Top of Page

DALB
Medium member

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2008 :  07:44:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You very likely have this Burros History data, but it may help the other researchers.

http://people.mnhs.org/dci/Search.cfm - there are 10 Burros deaths in Douglas Co

History of Douglas and Grant Counties - Minnesota
Constant Larson Editor-in-Chief Vol 11 1916 page 363

O. J. Burros

O. J. Burros, a successful farmer of Brandon township, Douglas county, was born in Norway on April 18. 1870, son and only child of Christian and Margaret (Mickelstadther) Solberg, natives of Norway, where the father died many years ago. Christian Solberg was engaged in farming and was well know in the community in which he lived. After his death his widow with her son came to the United States in 1872. They located in Goodhue county, this state, where they remained for three years, at the end of which time they came to Douglas county. Here the mother married J. T. Burros, and since that time the subject of this sketch has borne the name of urros. J. T. Burros was the owner of eighty acres of land in section 18 of Brandon township, and it was on that farm that his wife died in January, 1901.

O.J. Burros received his education in the public schools of Brandon township and there grew to manhood, where as a lad and young man he assisted with the work on the farm. He was married in May, 1898, to Mary Dahl, the daughter of Andrew Dahl, a pioneer of the county, and to this union the following children have been born: Irene, Clara, Ethel, Bert, George, Martin, Lawrence and Ernest. Mr and Mrs Burros are active members of the Norwegian Lutheran church, prominent in church work, and are held in high regard by all who know them.

As a young man Mr Burros engaged in farming and later purchased a farm in section 18 of Brandon township, where he is engaged in general farming and stock raising. He has a well-developed farm and the same is well improved, the later improvements having been erected by him. In addition to his many duties on the farm, Mr Burros has always taken an active interest in the local affairs of the township and has done much for the development of the community. He is a stockholder in Brandon cemetery, to which he has given his most earnest support, and also belongs to the Farmers Society of Equity.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2008 :  23:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Jan Peter
...this could be O.J. Burros

....I don't know who these people are...maybe they are nieces of O.j. Burros

Clara Amalio Barras (Borrus), b abt 1901
Elthel Barras (Borrus), b abt 1905
George Tarold Barras (Borrus), b abt 1909
Martin Barras (Borrus), b abt 1910
...these are all children of O.J. Burros.

Edit: One "Mable O Barros b abt 1897" can be found in the 1900 US Census for Douglas, MN... a possible sister of Oluf J? Will need to view the original image to verify...
.....I don't know this person either, again maybe a niece?
Thank you
Erik.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2008 :  23:26:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Dalb.
Yes, I do have this and that is what got me started on this.
Thank you. I have ordered a death certificate for O.J. Burros and will be ordering others as well as trying to find a marriage certificate for Olaf Burros and Mary Dahl.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2008 :  00:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Carsten

Dear Jan Peter
...this could be O.J. Burros
Erik.
Could be?
Of course it is him. The reason I put it up, is that you could view the original census-image, and read what it says there. Maybe his parents lives there, or in the house next door for example..

I understand that you don't necessarily recognize the name "Mable Irine Barras", but my point was that the original image should be checked, to see who she is living with.... maybe the family you are searching for are listed on the same image...?

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2008 :  13:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1910 census (Brandon twp, Douglas Co., MN) lists:

Olof J. Burras? (with the vowels hard to read), Head (of houshold), 40 yrs old (therefore born about 1870), b. Norway, immigrated to US 1872
Maria Gustave??, WIFE, 32 yrs old (b. ca. 1878), b. Norway (this is obviously the "Mary Dahl" mentioned in the Co. history), immigrated 1883
Mable Irine, DAUGHTER, 11 yrs old, b. Minn. (obviously the daughter Irene mentioned in the Co. history rendition)
Clara Amalia...
Bert Oliver....
Ethel.... (see original page for details about the younger children)
George Torvld...
Martin....

The family relationships are all clearly listed on the census in the column just to the right of their names.

(Jan Peter, I see no obvious other family on that census page - but the published county history did say that JT Burros's wife died in 1901 - so that might indicate the above sought "Margaret" is already deceased, the stepfather JT Burros may be deceased as well by 1910.)

In Lake Mary twp, Douglas Co., MN 1910 is a Thomas? Barros or Burros, 54 yrs old, b. Norway, immigrated 1866
He is married and has 8 children, all born in Minnesota.

And in the town of Alexandria, Douglas Co., MN 1910 is a Henry Barros, no age listed, b. Norway and a widower.

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2008 :  14:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for that, Hopkins.

Did you check "Mable O Barros b abt 1897" in the 1900 US Census for Douglas, MN...?

She looks to be a daughter of O.J. Burros then.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2008 :  14:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1900 census for Brandon twp, Douglas Co. DOES show the family. The handwriting is so poor that the surname looks more like "Brown" - but if you narrow your search by approximate age and place of birth it isn't that hard to find. (Jan Peter, I add this edit for your question - Mable I., b. 1899, is the only child of Olof in 1900 - it looks a capital I rather than an O to my eyes.)

Olof J.'s stepfather and mother are listed in the two lines following his family on the same page!!! Josias? Brown?? (remember the bad handwriting) and wife Margaret - both born in Norway and list that they've been married 19 years (I think they exaggerate in that). She also indicates that she is the mother of 2 children and that BOTH are still living.

Again 1900 census in Lake Mary twp is Thomas J. Barros, listed as 44 yrs old, b. Norway, immigrated 1866 and living with his Swedish born wife and children in the same house with his Swedish in-laws. (Mabel O. is the daughter of "Thomas J. Barros", b. 1897.)

(I keep mentioning "Thomas" because I'm about to propose - with a bit of "evidence" - that he is a brother to Olof J. and the other child that Margaret indicated in the 1900 US census.)

Edited by - Hopkins on 27/01/2008 15:00:24
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2008 :  14:21:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Carsten

....I don't know who these people are...maybe they are nieces of O.j. Burros?
Thank you
Erik.
You know them, but you don't know that you know them...

Maria Gastier Barras = Maria (Mary) Gustave Dahl Burros; O.j. Burros' wife.
Mable Irine Barras = Irine Burros; O.j. Burros' daughter.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 27/01/2008 14:21:58
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2008 :  14:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Brown's" as indexed in the 1900 United States Federal Census for Douglas, Minnesota @ Ancestry.com:

Luwes Brown b abt 1846 Norway
Sarah E Brown b abt 1849 Norway
Andrew C Brown b abt 1861 Norway
Christina Brown b abt 1851 Norway
Olaf Brown b abt 1870 Norway = O.J. Burros
Mary Brown b abt 1879 Norway = Mary Dahl Burros
Josise Brown b abt 1821 Norway = J.T. Burros
Margaret Brown b abt 1831 Norway = Margaret Mikkelsdr Solberg
Berla Brown b abt 1837 Norway

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2008 :  14:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The way to "work the censuses" is to start at those closest to present day and work backwards...

The published history of Douglas Co. says that Margaret and Olof should be in the 1880 US census for that county. (That's not much proof - but we can only try.)

1880 we want to find a young boy with a name similar to Olof, about 9 or 10 years of age, who was born in Norway and is living with his mother whose given name should start with the letters "Mar". I'd like to use the 1880 census enumeration from the Digitalarkivet for this hunt - more flexible search options.

Digitalarkivet - Databaseveljar - Folketeljingar og manntal - Nordmenn i USA - Nordmenn i Minnesota i 1880 teljinga...
Fylke er lik Douglas (2504 result)
Kjønn er lik m (1283 result)
Fødestad er lik N (658 result)
Alder alle termar 8-12 (26 result)
Scanned down list of the possibles...

Only one realistically - Olof, 10 years old, b. Norway living with mother "Margret" and older brother "Theodore Thomson".
Olof in 1880 Douglas Co.

A few minutes ago I was thinking that "Theodore" might have later been called Thomas - but now I don't. I think that Thomas and Henry "Burros" of Douglas Co. might actually be children or other relatives to "Margret"s future husband - JT Burros.
Those later censuses did also show a Norwegian born Theodore Thomson/Thompson in Douglas Co.... but I didn't look into any details for him.

As long as we're in the 1880 census can we find the man later known as JT Burros -- 1900 used given name "Josias" or similar and those two others who might be sons of his first marriage.
Yup, plain as day -
Thos Boros, 24 yrs old
Henry Boraas, 18 yrs old AND for my finale
Josias Barrows, 59 yrs old, widower

Erik - The censuses have to checked, checked and checked again. You skip that step at your own risk!! If you don't have online access, then order microfilms at your nearest LDS Family History Center, go to your local public library and see if they offer online access - anything, anything - but DO IT!

The name "Solberg" has only been seen in a published history of Douglas Co. We don't know what sources they used or IF they were accurate. That has to be remembered. Names are "butchered" all the time so you have to think "sounds like" and with our Norwegian emigrants we have to remember that they had other choices they might use - a patronymic, a father's patronymic, a deceased husband's patronymic, a farm name... all have to be considered.

(I'm going back to a previous post to edit out an idea I'd proposed - I now think otherwise.)

I'm frustrated because I don't even know exactly WHO we are really trying to track. Margaret? Olof? Josias? What is our purpose in this?
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2008 :  15:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Josias Torstensen
Christening: 01 JUL 1821, Hegra, Nord-Trøndelag
Parents: Torsten Johnsen & Anne Eriksdr

Josias Torstensen (45) on the Boraastrøen farm in Hegre, Nord Trøndelag, census-1865, together with his wife Ingebor Hemmingsdr and sons Torsten and Haagen.

Thos Boros & Henry Boraas could be Josias Torstensen Boraastrøen's sons Torsten and Haagen.

Torsten is born 15 Jan 1855

Haagen is born 19 Jan 1863

Torsten's birth year differ from the 1865-census, so there is a possibilty that they had another son by the same name, but I couldn'r find any in the churchbook.
His age fits with the 1880 US-census and the 1866 emigration.

Josias Torstensen Boraastrøen = J.T. Burros.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 27/01/2008 17:51:48
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2008 :  17:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DALB

History of Douglas and Grant Counties - Minnesota
Constant Larson Editor-in-Chief Vol 11 1916 page 363

O. J. Burros

(...)
Mr and Mrs Burros are active members of the Norwegian Lutheran church, prominent in church work, and are held in high regard by all who know them.
Josias Torstensen Boraastrøen is already a member of the Lutheran church in Norway in 1865.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 34 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article