All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Looking for Merchant Marine; also insane asylum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rdobbs10
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  08:16:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to find information on Ivar Sevald Fisko (Fisko was farm name and surname), b. 1901 in Rogaland, Avaldsnes. Possibly married to Borgny fra Jaeren.

His elderly daughter is looking for any records of him. She tells me that he was a Merchant Marine and came to America. She doesn't know when, except before her birth in Reno, Nevada in 1933.

He was deported back to Norway in about 1938, and was possibly put in a mental institution (for murder in USA).

She is looking for his death certificate, marriage certificate, census - anything. Also looking for more info on his siblings. Before he came to United States or after he went back to Norway. She is also wondering if she had half siblings that she never knew about. (census, etc.)

His parents were Svend Toresen, 1866-1941 and Bolett Ivarsdtr 1869-1945. Siblings that lived past infancy: Tore Mandius, b 1893; Matias Edolf, b 1896; Ingerid Marie, b 1898 and married to Georg Larssen Midtgard; Marta Elisabet, b 1903 and married to Alfred Edvardsen Alme; Svend, b 1905 married to Barbro Lokna and Jakob, B 1908 and married to Benny Tollefsen, Skare.

All of this info according to Bygdsbok Avaldsnes I.

The farm name was Fiska and Ivar took the name Fisko.

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  09:21:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may be interested to see his baptismal record, it is #10
Tore Mandius is #36
Mathias Edolf is &
Ingerid Marie is #15
Marta Elisabet is #23
Sven is #1
and Jakob is #17
In these records you will find the godparents if that could be of interest.
The 1900 census for Fiskaaen is here

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 05/03/2008 09:51:21
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  09:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ivar Sevalds mother was born March 16 1869 on the Egge farm in Skjold, see #13
Bolettas parents were Ivar Hansen and Anna Maria Helgesdatter.
Sven and Boletta were married Nov 11 1891, see #12
Sven was born May 13 1866, see #45 his parents were Thore Knudsen and Anne Marte Jakobsdatter, Myge in Avaldsnes.
Thore Knudsen was actually baptized Thor, see #13
his parents were Knud Thorsen and Marthe Elisabeth Pedersdatter.
Anne Marthe Jacobsdatter was born April 3 1834, see #52
her parents were Jacob Gundersen and Eli Sirene Olsdatter, Stakkestad.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 05/03/2008 13:51:04
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  13:59:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bolettas father Ivar Hansen was born Nov 9 1842, and baptized Iver Nov 27, see #26
his parents were Hans Iversen and Boel Knudsdatter on the Egge farm.
Anna Maria Helgesdatter was living with her parents Helge Jakobsen and Helga Lovisa Ingebriktsdatter in 1865, see here

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 05/03/2008 14:03:35
Go to Top of Page

joyhart
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  15:41:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This appears to be Ivar Fisko's brother (birthdates match Avaldsnes, Rogaland records):
1) June 1917 WWI draft registration:
Thor Fisko, age 23, born Aug. 29, 1893 in "Agvaldnes," Norway. He has filed first papers for citizenship; lives in Ames, Iowa; works as a bricklayer for Erickson Bros. in Ames; is single. He is described as having a stout build with blue eyes and light brown hair.

2) Social Security Death Index
Name: Thor Fisko
Date of Birth: Tuesday August 29, 1893
Date of Death: February 1980
Est. Age at death: 86 years, 5 months
Last known residence:
State: Wisconsin
Location of Last Benefit Paid:
City: De Soto; Victory
County: Vernon
State: Wisconsin
Social Security details:
State of Issue: Iowa

The 1925 Iowa census shows Thor Fisko, age 31, his wife Ruth, age 22 and daughter "Hellen," age 3, living in Garber, Clayton County, Iowa. He has been a resident of the US for 15 years. The census states his parents are Svend Fisko and Bolette Overson.

St. Joseph's Cemetery (Elkader, Clayton County) records show Thor M. Fisko, Sr. was a US Army veteran of WWI, born August 29, 1893 and died February 14, 1980. He actually has two gravestones:
http://iowagravestones.org/gs_view.php?id=299907

According to Helen Lucille (Fisko) Knoke's Feb. 2005 obituary, she was born in 1921 and was survived by a brother, Thor Fisko, Jr. (born about 1925) and a half-brother, Tom Fisko.

For more detailed information, you can e-mail me:
joyhart@aol.com

Personal genealogy focus: Goodhue County, Minnesota and the Norway kommunes of L�rdal; Aurland and Vang in Valdres.
Go to Top of Page

Vigdis
Starting member

Norway
8 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  09:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I have found his tombstone with photo at Vår Frelser, Haugesund. Ivar Sevald Fiskå 1901-1963 and Borgny 1916-1990. Because this has rather recently happened I do not want to publish the photograph of the tombstone.

Search just Ivar Sevald without surname unless you have the special Norw. letters, and you will found him and Borgny in Gravminner, Landssok http://www.disnorge.no/gravminner/index.php

Regards,
Vigdis

Edited by - Vigdis on 26/03/2008 10:01:11
Go to Top of Page

Fiskaa
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2008 :  20:06:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have ask my sister today, she is older than me and remember Ivar. He come back to Norway after
WWW II approx. 1948/49
and lived fist at the farm "Fiskaaen" at Avaldsnes, KARMOY
before he moved to Haugesund and get married and get two children (girls)
Ingrid and Randi now over 50 years old
The family never spoke about Ivars life in USA, but I remember my father told me that Ivar has been living in the "gambling town" Reno in Arizona and had done something wrong there.
As mention before - I can be contacted and I shall try to find out more about the family (daghters) in Norway

Jan
bjofisk@online.no

Jan B. Fiskaa

Edited by - Fiskaa on 04/04/2008 15:01:25
Go to Top of Page

Mariann Alme Samuelsen
New on board

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  23:54:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdobbs10

I am trying to find information on Ivar Sevald Fisko (Fisko was farm name and surname), b. 1901 in Rogaland, Avaldsnes. Possibly married to Borgny fra Jaeren.

His elderly daughter is looking for any records of him. She tells me that he was a Merchant Marine and came to America. She doesn't know when, except before her birth in Reno, Nevada in 1933.

He was deported back to Norway in about 1938, and was possibly put in a mental institution (for murder in USA).

She is looking for his death certificate, marriage certificate, census - anything. Also looking for more info on his siblings. Before he came to United States or after he went back to Norway. She is also wondering if she had half siblings that she never knew about. (census, etc.)

His parents were Svend Toresen, 1866-1941 and Bolett Ivarsdtr 1869-1945. Siblings that lived past infancy: Tore Mandius, b 1893; Matias Edolf, b 1896; Ingerid Marie, b 1898 and married to Georg Larssen Midtgard; Marta Elisabet, b 1903 and married to Alfred Edvardsen Alme; Svend, b 1905 married to Barbro Lokna and Jakob, B 1908 and married to Benny Tollefsen, Skare.

Mariann
Go to Top of Page

Mariann Alme Samuelsen
New on board

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  00:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mariann
Go to Top of Page

Mariann Alme Samuelsen
New on board

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  00:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am granddaugther of Ivars sister. My aunt talked about Ivar just a few days ago, so I got very excited when I saw this.
I will inform her tomorrow and if you would like to write or call us, that would be great. I have skype also.
My aunt is 77 and remember Ivar when he came back from the states. She thought he had children in USA, but did not know for sure.
She would be the cousin.
Looking forward to hear from you,
from Mariann

Mariann
Go to Top of Page

MaritF
New on board

Norway
1 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2009 :  13:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Go to Top of Page

Fiskaa
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  11:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There have now been contact from the USA to the two half-sisters (Ingrid and Randi) in Norway.

Jan B. Fiskaa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article