All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Leth Family in America
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

unclepete
Starting member

Australia
23 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  07:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am keen to discover any members of the Leth family in America who might be related to the Leth family in Australia.

My Great Grandfather was George (Jorge) Emil Leth who came to Australia about 1860 and had seven children here. He was born in Tromoy Aust-Agder, Norway on 25.10.1854. Jorg had 2 brothers Hans Leth born 1851 and Jens Marthin Leth born 1852. There was also a sister Juliane Marie born 1856 died 1865.

Their father (my G G Grandfather) was Samuel Nicolai (Nicholas) Leth, a ships carpenter born 27.11.1824 Birkeland died 28.4.1864 Stromsboe but the children might have been raised by their mother Maren Gurine Jensdr.

Along with Jorg, Hans and Jens might have been under the supervision of their Grandfather Hans Helmer Leth born 1785, a Ships Captain from Birkenes Aust-Agder who married Giertrue or Gjertrud Stiansdr on 18.2.1823 at Tviet Vest-Agder. Hans Helmer Leth was the Captain of the ship from which Jorg escaped in Adelaide Australia aged 16. I don't know the name of the ship but it must have travelled the world several times as Jorg was a cabin boy as young as 9 years old when he first jumped ship in Australia so it is possible his brothers also went to sea with their Grandfater following their fathers death. Hans and Gjertrud had 2 other children: Henriette Hansdr born 1844 and Mathilde ???

Hans father and my G G G G Grandfather was Isaac Leth (Letes) born 1757 and died 1831 in Norway. On 16.1.1781 he married Marte Sophie Willumsen or Villumsen born 1759 died 1822. They had 4 other sons; Nils b 27.6.1782 Frederik b 15.8.1789 who died young, Dienes b 20.4.1791 and the second Frederik born 22.3.1796. They also had 2 girls; Catrine Helmer b 9.8.1783 and Maria Sisilia b 20.12.1794. One of the sons was a Customs Officer in Norway and the other a Ship Broker in Riga. Dienes is also believed to have died young. Catrine Helmer married Consul Morten Kallevag

If this family history has any links to your family in America we may be related and I'd be pleased to hear from you.

unclepete

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  13:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
US Places you might search (no links to my own research lines) -
1910 US federal census for Lane Co. Oregon shows a Jens M. Leth, 58 yrs old, born Norway, in his first marriage, immigrated to US 1904. Wife of 10 yrs, Mary, 56 yrs old, born Norway, her second marriage, birth mother of 6 children, 5 still living. No children in the household.

RootsWeb message boards for Norway indicate 10 messages discussing Leth name - most seem centered about Norwegian location of Arendal.

1880 US census shows Leth surname listed for 10 Norway born persons, 6 in Cook Co. Illinois, 2 in Galveston Co., Texas, and 2 in Shebogan Co., Wisconsin. Included is a man in Galveston calling himself Henry Leth, 28 yrs old, born Norway, working as a sailor.

By 1900 that Henry K. Leth (still in Galveston) lists himself as born Oct 1851 in Norway, married with no children, immigrated 1869 and working as a store keeper. This census was taken shortly before the great hurricane that struck Galveston 8 Sept 1900.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article