All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Harry Lee
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alyson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2008 :  16:07:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harry Lee was born Aug 3 1899, sailed from Stavanger Norway in 1913 at the age of 14, came to Iowa and at first worked as a farmhand in Thor township, Humboldt county. He married a young lady named Laura Lehman in about 1926.

My question is regarding his name. Is Lee a Norwegian name? Or Harry? What might he have changed it from? I am hoping that another name will help me find earlier records for him -- the ship he sailed on, whether he sailed from or also grew up in Stavanger, etc.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

--- Alyson

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2008 :  17:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Lee can be a Norwegian name. You will find it is usually a change in spelling from a Norwegian farm or location which either sounded much like Lee or which contained a part of its name which sounded like Lee.

Harry is likely to be an Americanization of his Norwegian given name or a choice he made to "fit in".

Stavanger emigration records burned and the partially reconstructed lists rarely list the name of the ship. But you can still research in US or Canadian arrival records to find the name of the ship that he arrived on.

(Greetings from another descendant of Thor Norwegian emigrants.)

Edited by - Hopkins on 15/03/2008 17:30:37
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2008 :  17:50:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1920 US federal census shows a still single Harry Lee, 20 yrs old, b. Norway, immigrated 1916?, and living in Beaver township, Humboldt Co. Iowa.

Check the 1925 Iowa State Census for Harry Lee. That census collected other information which will be real value in your search for him. It asked father's name, mother's name (including maiden name) and birthplaces for each of them. It MIGHT also give some small additional detail about Harry's birthplace location.

The church records for the Thor Lutheran church(es) still exist but are only viewable at the church itself -and that requires the approval of the church council well before you visit.

Harry's US naturalization records and filings should contain detailed information about where in Norway he was from.

Oh - and don't forget to look for his application for his marriage license. That almost always included information about at least his father.

Edited by - Hopkins on 15/03/2008 17:53:51
Go to Top of Page

Alyson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2008 :  19:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sure appreciate the information; there's enough here to keep me busy for awhile.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2008 :  11:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were 16 persons with last name Lee in Norway in 1900,
7 in Oslo and 8 in Vik in Sogn, none of them seems to be connected to Harry Lee born August 3. 1899.

He changed name in America, the question is from what.

This persons could be your Harry, at least it´s worth some investigations in USA.

Halvdan Lid was born August 3. 1899 in Fister local parish in Hjelmeland parish in Rogaland county nort-east of Stavanger town.

His birth record #8.

Norwegian dating start with day, month and year, her the number 8 for August is placed first, see #6, very unusual.

Here is the Lid family in 1900 on farm Fister, his father Osmund was shipowner and shipmaster, Halfdan had 8 siblings.

You mentioned he emigrated 1913, so here is some divergegence.
Halvdan Lie emigrated from Stavenger Feb. 1916 as "Matros" seaman in company with his sister Inger born Feb. 4. 1901, destination Iowa.
The purpose was to earn money Click here

They left either on SS Bergensfjord arr N.Y. Feb. 14 or on SS Kristianiafjord arr. N.Y. March 6. Click here

Halvdan Lie only had to change the spelling of his last name in USA, the pronunciation of Lid/Lie is Lee.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 19/03/2008 13:22:46
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2008 :  14:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Inger & Halvdan Lie's destination was brother Isac Lee in Thor township, Humboldt, Iowa. They travelled on The Kristianiafjord, arriving New York on March 06, 1916.

In census 1920 for Humboldt, Iowa; Harry Lee (20) can be found together with Thomas N Rogness (23) and Inger Rogness (18). Inger Rogness could be his sister whom he emigrated with.

Isac Lee is listed together with Thelma Lee (b 1916) & Elsie Lee (b 1918), in the same census.
Isac emigrated on March 8th, 1906.

1930-census for Humboldt, Iowa:
Harry Lee, b 1900
Laura E Lee, b 1908
Margery H Lee, b 1927

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 19/03/2008 15:12:36
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2008 :  15:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may be interesting to see where the Lid name came from.
Harry Lees father was Osmund Lid (actually Halvorsen), he was born 1855 on Østerhuus farm in Jelsa, see #28
His parents were Halvor Halvorsen and Britta Olsdatter and in 1865 the whole family is at the Lid farm in Hjelmeland parish, Osmund was then 10 years old. see here
Osmund married Anne Eriksdatter in 1881, see #5
One of the witnesses was Halvor H. Lid - most likely one of his brothers, see the 1865 census.
Osmunds wife Anna Eriksdatter was born at the Melhus (or Mjølhus) farm in 1862, see #31

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 19/03/2008 15:51:16
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2008 :  16:45:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1925 Iowa State Census for Norway township of Humboldt Co., Iowa shows Isaac Lee, 36 yrs old, b. Norway, 19 yrs in US., father Osmund Lee - 70 yrs old, mother Anna Erickson (no age given so probably deceased by 1925).
Same page also lists Ira Lee, 40 yrs old, b. Norway, 24 yrs in US., father Osmund Lee - 70 yrs old, mother Anna Erickson.

So Alyson, IF Isaac and Ira Lee are known to be brothers to Harry Lee -- we have confirmation in US records of the link to the family in Fister, Hjelmeland, Rogaland, Norway.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2008 :  01:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Inger Rogness where Harry Lee was staying at in census 1920 for Humboldt, Iowa is indeed Halvdan Lie's sister.

She died in Thor township just a few years ago, at the age of 99, almost!

Inger Rogness
Birth Date: 4 Mar 1901
Death Date: 27 Jan 2000
Localities: 50591, Thor, Humboldt, Iowa

Inger's birthdate is listed as 04-Mar-1901, the chr record states 04-Feb-1901.

So there's no doubt that Halvdan Lie = Harry Lee

One Marvin Rogness is living in Thor today, and could be a son or grandson of Inger.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2008 :  01:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a completely unimportant aside, it's driving me crazy -- I've researched in the Thor area for years and years, quite familiar with the Rogness name but not in any known way related to them myself. I've seen the family gravestones, their names in the Thor church records, etc. But I guess that is of no real importance to the Lee family ancestral line. Just another of those little nagging mysteries that will bother me for a while.

The little town of Thor (Humboldt Co., Iowa) published a centennial celebration book in 1981. On page 20 of that book is a small section that maybe of minor sidebar interest to Alyson.
"Lee Farm - 1875
T. I. Thompson bought 160 acres in Section 16 - 19 - 27, S.E. 1/4 from Hiram Douglas on June 7, 1875. T. I. Thompson sold the farm to Isaac Lee on March 1, 1919. In 1974, Esie C. Lee and Osmund Lee obtained ownership. Osmund and Joybelle Lee were the parents of Thelma Austin and Gerald Lee."

(There is NO name index in that book and I cannot easily browse through to find other references.)

The Thor Lutheran Church published its own centennial celebration booklet in 1972. Listed in the back pages as church members in 1972 are:
Mr. Isaac O. Lee
Mr. & Mrs. Jack Lee, Roger
Mr. & Mrs. Osmund Lee
Mr. & Mrs. Marvin Rogness, Paul, Patricia, Neal
Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Rogness, Arthur, Margrete

(Inger Lee would be Mrs. Thomas Rogness.)
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2008 :  06:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
So Alyson, IF Isaac and Ira Lee are known to be brothers to Harry Lee -- we have confirmation in US records of the link to the family in Fister, Hjelmeland, Rogaland, Norway.

In 1900 Isak was 10 years older than Halvdan (Harry), his baptismal record is #5
Ira is most likely Erik born in 1884, see #7

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 21/03/2008 07:02:00
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2008 :  09:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harry Lees mother Anna Eriksdatter in the 1865 census is here
her parents Erik Iversen and widow Inger Olsdatter married at the Melhus farm Nov 22 1859, see #15
Erik was baptized Jan 31 1826,see #3 his parents were Iver Kittelsen and Ingebor Østensdatter, Barnevig.
Inger was born June 10 1818, parents were Ole Johansen and Anna Larsdatter, Melhus Søndre, see .

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 21/03/2008 17:59:24
Go to Top of Page

Alyson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  10:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is absolutely awesome. I have come across some of these names in Thor, including the Rogness people he stayed with, with no idea of the connections! Thank you all so much for this extensive information. It is a huge help!

--- Alyson
Go to Top of Page

Alyson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2008 :  05:30:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again for all the help! It gives me keys to figuring out relationships between family members in Humboldt County that I couldn't make any sense of before.

And, Hopkins, if I may ask, what is the mystery re: the Rogness family? I'm afraid I couldn't figure that out...
Go to Top of Page

Alyson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  21:18:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again! I have another question.

On the birth record for Halvdan Lie (Harry Lee), I see a word in front of his father's name that looks something like SKIYGEN. (His birth record #8, from Kaarto's Post of March 19.) Is this a title, like Captain or something? Or is it another name?

Thank you all so much for all the information. It is wonderful to know more about the family, especially since Harry did not share very much.

--- Alyson
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  21:59:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it is "Skipper" = Captain.

Einar
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article