All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Olaf Albert Schjolberg
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mszig
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2008 :  05:06:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found a 1887 ship(Hero) leaving Trondheim with this passenger bound for New York and a destination of Sioux City, Iowa....which is where he ended up. He was born in 1863, the same year my great grandfather was born. This person's last residence was Aafjorden.

Can anyone help me find birth or confirmation records for this individual or anyone else with a name similar to his? I'm not positive it really is my great grandfather.

His name may be Ole or Olaf
The spelling of the last name changed in America to Schulberg aka Schoelberg.

mszig

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2008 :  06:50:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Olaf was born in Åfjord and his father Anthon Skjølberg was a fisherman. In the 1865 census you will find him here
Oluf Albert was born April 2 1863, his baptismal record is #55
His father Anton was born July 30 1831, see #27
Antons parents were Ole Skjølberg and Madame Bolette Kirstine Arnet.
Ole Skjølberg and Bolette Kristine Arnet were married in Aal church Febr 13 1819, see #7

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 22/03/2008 07:14:49
Go to Top of Page

Mszig
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2008 :  15:48:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much. I really believe this is my great grandfather because of the Albert and Anton. Later many of his descendents carried A as a middle initial. He dropped the Olaf when he came to Sioux City and married my great grandmother Josophine. thank you for your help. it means so much to me.

mszig
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2008 :  17:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oluf Albert was confirmed Sept 22 1878, see #1
The marriage record for Oluf Alberts parents is #11
Oluf Alberts grandfather Ole Thoresen, Aasløe was the father of Maren Olsdatter. (they are both on the record from the 1865 cesus listed above - Marens mother and Ole Thoresens wife was Ane Olsdatter)
The baptismal record for Maren is
she was actually baptized Marie Dec 26 1829 and she was born Dec 4.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 26/03/2008 08:04:37
Go to Top of Page

Mszig
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  02:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reading these records puts my eyes out...yours too I imagine.

Maren's birth record I am trying to translate. I get the part up to the parents names. What is that word before Ole Thoresen? and is it Fråstad after it? That means he moved here from the Fraastad farm?

Then there is his wife something Ane something/// how do you get Arnet out of that? It looks like a d. Who are the godparents?

mszig
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  08:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Column before parents says Liges. meaning Ligesaa = the same (as above or at the top) which is Ægte = born in wedlock
Parents: Gaardm. Ole Thoresen Traastad (the farm they were living on when Maren = Marie was born) og Kone Ane Olsdat. which is Gaardmand = Farmer Ole Thoresen og = and Kone = Wife Ane Olsdat. = Olsdatter.
Godparents: Gm. (Gaardmand) Peder Krogstad, Ungk. meaning Ungkarl = Batchelor Christen Krogstad og = and Jon Traastad, Gml. meaning Gemalinde = Wife Live Braaden og = and Marith Qvale, Pige = Maiden Marie Krogstad.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 26/03/2008 08:28:01
Go to Top of Page

rickschulberg
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  00:09:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just discovered Norwegian Heritage and this forum topic on Olaf Albert Skjolberg from Trondheim. He seems to be older brother of my grandfather, Ole Andreas Skjolberg (our family records say "Schjolberg" (later changed to Schulberg). Could anyone help with reference to records for birthdate or baptism for Ole?

This thread from 2008 was rich in information and I am very impressed by the generosity of knowledge shared.

Thank you in advance.

rjs
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  00:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The WHERE is probably answered in the above thread - but without a WHEN no one can help you.

If YOU know WHEN your Ole Andreas Skjolberg was born (or a good approximation) you can check the local parish records yourself.

The Digitalarkivet web site has been adding scanned images of the original Norwegian parish church records for anyone with Internet access since November 2005.

The Digitalarkivet web site - http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar
An English option is available by clicking on that word from either the left hand column or the blue link bar along the bottom of the homepage.
The scanned images are available from the homepage link "Skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Digitised parish records" [English version] which is listed along the left hand column and from the blue banner of links along the top section of the homepage.
Clicking on "Skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Digitised parish records" [English version] will bring up another screen and listing to choose from. Choose "Lesa skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Read the digitised parish records" [English version].
After you've clicked on that link and a new main page has presented on the screen be sure and read the instructions that are available from the Digitalarkivet for navigating the scanned records. The instructions are available in Bokmål (official Norwegian), Nyorsk (Norwegian), Davvisámegiella (Saami), and English.
Recommended basic reading are the "Startsiden" [Norwegian version]/"Main page" [English version], "Brukerveiledning" [Norwegian version]/"User's guide" [English version] and "Om tjenesten" [Norwegian version]/"About this service" [English version].

Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html

When you've studied and used the instructions and been able to find a scanned page on the Digitalarkivet that you'd like to capture as a URL to share with someone else or save for your family history documentation - just copying the URL that your browser shows will NOT provide a working link for longer than about 1/2 an hour -- it only works very temporarily.

Working direct links to the scanned images on the Digitalarkivet can be copied and pasted from the desired page from a display option available. At the top of the scanned image page is an option labeled "Bildeinformasjon:" [Norwegian version]/"Image Information"[English version] which is by default set to "Ingen" [Norwegian version]/"None" [English version]. Change that and magic is available. Of the three options I like "Øverst" [Norwegian version]/"On top" [English version] because it puts the additional information across the top of the page and is usually easier for me to see.

The first line "Kildeinformasjon:" [Norwegian version]/"Source information" [English version] is a really nice summary of the source of the information and is wonderful to have for making detailed source citations, footnotes, etc.

The second line "Permanent sidelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent pagelink" [English version] is the best line to capture if you want to save the exact URL location or share the actual scanned image and the source information. It allows the full capabilities for zooming in and out to best view the image and informs the recipient of the exact location, book and other details to be able to find WHERE you found the information.

The third line "Permanent bildelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent imagelink" [English version] is the best used to print a copy of the image or to save a copy of the image in a jpg format computer file. This line does NOT also capture the source information and therefore is NOT the best line to copy to share online when requesting help or assistance in deciphering the image found.

Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  00:41:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

If he is a brother of the Olaf in the discussion, then there is the 1865 census which has an Ole age 1 b. Åfard in the household:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=2&filnamn=f61630&gardpostnr=324&personpostnr=2495&merk=2495#ovre

The Parish register part of the Norwegian Digital archives appears to not be functional at the moment but that is where you can look for your Ole Andreas's baptismal record

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  06:43:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the baptismal record for your Ole Andreas is J65.
His parents were Anthon Schjølberg and Maren Olsdatter, Aastøen.
He was born April 27 and baptized at home June 6 1865 by Ingebor Caspersdatter, this was confirmed in church June 25 1865.

Anthon Schjølberg is actually Anton Olsen, born July 30 1831, see #27. His parents were Ole Skjølberg and Mdm Bolette Kirstine, née Arnet, Topdal.

Bolette Christine, her parents and siblings in 1801.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 26/10/2011 07:57:46
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  07:40:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole Andreas Grandparents, Thore Olsen and Ane Olsdatter, were married April 15 1828, see #13.

Thore Olsen was born May 30 1807 and baptized May 31, see next to the last record on left page. His parents were Ole Thoresen and Eldri Rasmusdatter, Vigstad.
Ole Thoresen, Vigstad and Eldri Rasmusdatter, Scheager were married March 27 1806, see 10th record in 1806.

Ole Thoresen, his parents and siblings in 1801.

Eldri Rasmusdatter, her parents and siblings in 1801. Her age is wrong!
She was born 1790 and baptized June 13, see next to the
last record on right page.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

rickschulberg
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  22:27:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this is a double post...please excuse since I am still getting used to the forum.

Thank you kindly for the excellent information and links as well as the pointers on research. Just what we were looking for...

rjs
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article