All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Julius Rud aka Rudd help with birth record
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mszig
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2008 :  04:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found Julius Rud's (my great great grandfather) birth record, but can't read the handwriting. Could someone examine it and tell me the name of his father his mother and what all those names are to the right?

I am attaching a pdf of the citation but if it won't open I found it in the scanned church records of Ostland, Trogstad 1855--64 page 27 He would be number 120 Julius born 16 Aug 1856

He came to New York with his parents at the age of 14, but I can't find any emigration for him from Oslo. Isn't Oslo nearest to Thrygstad?

mszig

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2008 :  09:59:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julius was born Aug 16 and baptized Sept 14 1856. His parents were "Inderst" - lodger Lars Poulsen Rud "og" and Karen Johansdatter. "All the names to the right" are the godparents - witnesses. They are Anne Maria og Sophie Carlsrud, Andreas og Carl Carlsrud, Christian Rud.
Look in the 1865 census on Thrygstad Thrygstad Sjønhaug nordre and Julius Larsen and you will find the family.
Try and find him, or his parents in the scanned record for leaving the parish.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Mszig
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2008 :  12:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are just the best. Thank you for the information.

mszig
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  23:32:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe you will be interested in the baptismal record for Julius father Lars Poulsen, it is #19
the record for his mother Karen Johansdatter is #13
and their marriage record is #9

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 26/10/2008 08:05:33
Go to Top of Page

Mszig
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2008 :  15:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello eibache..you have been so helpful to me. And your answers are technically elegant. If you don't mind I have a couple of technical questions.
First...how do you condense the url info into just a number? It's very elegant and clean and I'd like to be able to do it for my own records.

Second, When I search those church records myself I only find the pages with the births. From the information you have provided I see there are other pages for the leaving the parish and also pages for deaths and marriages. How do I find those? Do I go through page by page? I want to learn how to do this searching and not wear both our eyes out.

Third, the vast amount of people that left Norway in the 1880s-1900. Farms in Norway were smaller and smaller, big land offerings in America through Homesteading, but so many thousands of young people. What other things were occurring in Norway to influence this mass emigration? Thank you.

mszig
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2008 :  01:32:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
First...how do you condense the url info into just a number? It's very elegant and clean and I'd like to be able to do it for my own records.

Whatever software you are using for your records will have to be able to handle hyperlinks. Study in the help files for your software to learn of its capabilities.

quote:
Second, When I search those church records myself I only find the pages with the births. From the information you have provided I see there are other pages for the leaving the parish and also pages for deaths and marriages. How do I find those?

The church records are indexed by the type of records contained. Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html

quote:
Third, the vast amount of people that left Norway in the 1880s-1900. Farms in Norway were smaller and smaller, big land offerings in America through Homesteading, but so many thousands of young people. What other things were occurring in Norway to influence this mass emigration?

That is impossible to answer in just a few paragraphs. You'll find that entire books have been devoted to exactly such social history. One repository of such published scholarly research and report is at the Norwegian-American Historical Association. They have a growing library available for your reading in online form.
http://www.naha.stolaf.edu/

I don't read Norwegian either - but good lists of translated words important to genealogy are available online for your use. I also recommend that you consider purchasing a good Norwegian-English dictionary for your "reference library".
Our hobby requires study and research. You keep learning and working at it. That's what keeps it so interesting.
Go to Top of Page

kevin rudd
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  01:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was surprised/fascinated to find these two threads on the rud family origins. i've been trying to track down the same connection and had just found it on the site http://digitalarkivet.uib.no but wasn't completely sure i'd found it until i saw these posts. i'm interested in any other information that might have been dug up in the interim on the family.

my connection is through ole rud, julius' younger brother. just tracking the male side of the tree for simplicity, here's what i've figured out including additional info from these threads:

richard rud(d); 1937
paul rud(d); 1907
ole larsen rud 1871
lars paulsen (rud); 1835
povel larsen; ?

it's ironic that i just got back from oslo and environs for a week; unfortunately, i didn't realize that there was a connection until my dad mentioned something at the end of the trip so didn't have a chance to try any research/follow-up actions while i was there (sigh).

it's truly amazing what you can figure out from limited information---all i knew until today was that my grandfather (paul rud) was born in 1907 in north dakota to norwegian parents. it would be fun to go back and find people and places! and also to figure out relatives in the states, too---my side of the family has been very, well, distant and non-communicative and unfortunately are no longer around to ask. so maybe we can share information and to combine efforts to fill out the rest of the chain, both downwards and upwards.

cheers,
---K

Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  03:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hyperlink posting guidelines can be found on this web site, under All Forums, About The Web Site, Testing Forum.

These shortcuts will only apply to this web site.

Les
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  08:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lars Poulsen and Karen Johansdatter had a son Paul May 30 1866, see #95
June 20 1868 they had a daughter Anne Marie, see #72

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 26/10/2008 10:53:41
Go to Top of Page

kevin rudd
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  09:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's really cool, thanks! it also matches what i have from the 1980 us census:

lars rud, 45
caren rud, 46
jens rud, 18
paul rud, 14
anna rud, 12
ole rud, 9

but when i looked at the 1865 norwegian census, it showed two daughters that aren't in the 1880 u.s. census, anette and berte:

Pers.no. Household Given name Last name Family
pos. Occupation Marital status Age Sex Birth
place Horses Cattle Sheep Pig Wheat Rye Barley Oat Potatoes
552 20 1 Lars Pouls. Husf Gaardb og Forpagter g 31 m Thrygstad
Prgj. 2 9 4 2 1/4 1 1/2 1/2 10 10
553 21 Karen Johansd. hans Kone g 32 k Thrygstad Prgj.
554 22 Julius Lars. deres Søn ug 10 m Thrygstad Prgj.
555 23 Jens Lars. deres Søn ug 4 m Thrygstad Prgj.
556 24 Anette Larsd. deres Datter ug 6 k Thrygstad Prgj.
557 25 Berte Larsd. deres Datter ug 2 k Thrygstad Prgj.

anette seems to appear in the 1875 census as a maidservent in asker but i don't know if there's any way to really tell if that's the same person:

Personnr. Hushald Førenamn Etternamn Kjønn Fam.
stilling Sivilstand Yrke Fødd
år Fødestad Bostatus Kyr Sauer Svin Bygg Havre Poteter
2329 1 1 Olava Vettre k hm e Gaardeier og Gaardbrugerske 1837 Asker
Sogn, Asker Præsteg. b 4 3 1 1/2 1 1/2 8
2334 6 Anette Larsdatter k Tjenestep. ug Tjenestepige 1859 Asker
Sogn, Asker Præsteg. b

guess i'll have to follow your various links to see how they might help explain things. but the links that you just sent do fill out the details very well (still missing ole, but have at least everyone else from the 1880 u.s. census tracked down). you're giving me more motivation to make a return trip to oslo (beyond seeing friends!).

thanks!
---K
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  09:28:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see the family, with 7 children, emigrated Aug 1871
Julius (11) born Aug 16 1856
Anette Johanne (9) born April 9 1860
Jens (7) born Aug 27 1862
Berthe Maria (4) born July 17 1864
Paul (3) born May 30 1866
Anne Marie (2) born June 20 1868
Ole (1/2) born ? 1871
they may not have had time to baptize Ole.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 26/10/2008 10:51:45
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  11:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lars Paulsens parents and siblings in 1865
Karen Johansdatters parents and siblings in 1865

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 26/10/2008 11:09:59
Go to Top of Page

kevin rudd
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  11:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool, thanks! i really appreciate the incremental details---they really help with both the big picture and understanding some of the variations in data and search methods. now that i have the emigration date i guess the next hard part is figuring the transatlantic crossing records. the records appear to be incomplete (references to new york records being destroyed by fire, for example) and will require practice to read the scanned passenger lists. but it's great information, and i'm really amazed by what's out there and the puzzles involved in stitching these all together.

best,
---K

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  11:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kevin rudd

that's really cool, thanks! it also matches what i have from the 1880 US census:
Lars Rud, 45
Caren Rud, 46
Jens Rud, 18
Paul Rud, 14
Anna Rud, 12
Ole Rud, 9
Julius Rud lives in the household next to his parents and siblings in Township 95 And 96, Yankton, Dakota Territory.

Not sure where Anette Johanne born 1860 and Berthe Maria born 1864 would be...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  21:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karen Johansdatters parents Johan Andersen and Anne Marie Olsdatter married Jan 5 1830, see #10
Anne Marie was born in 1805 and baptized March 17, see bottom of right hand page here
her parents were Ole Larsen and Anne Pedersdatter, Hielmark.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 27/10/2008 07:29:17
Go to Top of Page

kevin rudd
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  21:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks! i get the first entry (johan anderson & anne marie olsdatter) but i don't anne marie's birth on the other link; am i missing something obvious or is it possible that the link is wrong? i don't see any marginal or other annotations on the date and the volume appears to be an 1814-1832 record, not 1805.

in any event, i'm amazed that you're able to dig these things out. even when they're found, i really have to dig into the script to pull out the details. maybe there's a trick that you use or maybe it's just practice, but either way it's impressive how these links just keep coming!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article