All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Otto Olsen-Böje or Otto Olsen-Bøje
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Olsen-Böje
Starting member

South America
19 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  04:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Otto Olsen-Böje born in Kristiania, Norway on December 9, 1880,emigrated to Argentine and later to Uruguay where he married Ana Marie Dorthea Knudsen born in Ribe,Denmark on April 21 1884. First son born in Montevideo,Uruguay on August 24, 1912. Found on the NHDC(Norwegian Historical Data Centre) Census year:1900-Kristiania-Municipality number:0301-Street name: Vogts Gade 30; hf Olaf Guldbransen.
Therefore emigration assumed between 1900 to 1911.
Only relative known: Hilsen Dorthea Olsen. last heard on December 3,1963; home address:Kingesgz 18 Leihrez 235,Oslo.
Otto´s parents were Kristian and Andrine.
He was my grandfather (died on August 28,1964).
Please if anyone can help me on knowing more about his family and ancestors I would be very grateful.

Olsen-Böje

Edited by - Olsen-Böje on 10/04/2008 14:44:00

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  14:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Otto Olsen at his residence in 1900 census -
Record 228545

There were several different church congregations within the city of Oslo/Kristiania where his birth/baptismal record may be found recorded.

The Digitalarkivet web site has been adding scanned images of the original Norwegian parish church records for anyone with Internet access since November 2005.

The Digitalarkivet web site - http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar
An English option is available by clicking on that word from either the left hand column or the blue link bar along the bottom of the homepage.
The scanned images are available from the homepage link "Skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Digitised parish records" [English version] which is listed along the left hand column and from the blue banner of links along the top section of the homepage.
After you've clicked on that link and a new main page has presented on the screen be sure and read the instructions that are available from the Digitalarkivet for navigating the scanned records. The instructions are available in Bokmål (official Norwegian), Nyorsk (Norwegian), Davvisámegiella (Saami), and English.
Recommended basic reading are the "Startsiden" [Norwegian version]/"Main page" [English version], "Brukerveiledning" [Norwegian version]/"User's guide" [English version] and "Om tjenesten" [Norwegian version]/"About this service" [English version].

Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html
Go to Top of Page

Trond

Norway
174 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  22:10:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#24 Otto Olsen b. 9 Dec 1880 at Sagene, Oslo (Laurvigs gade 3), father, carpenter Kristian Olsen b. 1829, and mother Andrine Olsen b. 1836.

Trond Austheim
Go to Top of Page

Olsen-Böje
Starting member

South America
19 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  04:10:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!!Hopkins and Trond, I couldn´t be more grateful.Never could I dream to have my life changed so suddenly, because Otto´s life is part of my life literally, and this data Trond, brought me almost two hundred years back.
All members of this forum can understand that feeling.
Please what would be the translation of Faddernes Navne og Borguelige stilling : .......... Kristiansen
............Kristiansen
And what is written before Kristian and Andrine´s names. Where can I find their marriage record and about Otto´s siblings.
Too many questions. Sorry. And thanks again.

Olsen-Böje

Edited by - Olsen-Böje on 11/04/2008 05:12:02
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  07:26:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The godparents names and civil status: Arb. (short for Arbeider = Worker Bernard Kristiansen, Arb. Axel Kristiansen, Moderen = The mother, Pige = Maiden Helene Nilsen.
Snedkerarb. (short for snedkerarbeider) = Carpenter Kristian Olsen and Hustru = Wife Andrine Olsen.
For the last questions ??

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 11/04/2008 14:36:49
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  12:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't skip reading the help recommended -
Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html

Go to Top of Page

Olsen-Böje
Starting member

South America
19 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  06:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Eibache for the translation.
Thanks Hopkins for the hints, I´ve already made a short list of most used words.

Olsen-Böje
Go to Top of Page

Trond

Norway
174 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2008 :  18:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Otto was living with together with his brother on the census of 1900. Henrik Amandus Olsen was born 4 September 1879 at Nydalen, Oslo. On his confirmation in 1892 the family was living in Maridalsveien 230, Sagene.

The Vestre Aker parish became Sagene parish in 1880 and it looks like an interesting place to look.

Trond Austheim
Go to Top of Page

Olsen-Böje
Starting member

South America
19 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2008 :  21:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Trond for the new data, I´m on it. It seems the family moved around a lot, but allways in Oslo.
I recall from conversations with my gradfather, unfortunately at the time I did´nt ask him more, that his was a large family with several brothers and sisters, probably this Hilsen Dorthea Olsen whose letter I mentioned, was one of them. There were also references to many sailing trips in his youth, so that´s also one point I have to look in. He had in Montevideo a maritime supplier company,Olsen&Cia, and his closest friends and clients were the scandinavian crews.
What origin do you think could have the Böje or Bøje that appears in all his uruguayan documents, Olsen-Böje, and which passing to his children and now grand and grandgrandchildren became the family name?

Olsen-Böje
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2008 :  23:10:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Otto Olsen left Oslo August 10. 1911, occupation: Electrician and seaman.
The reason for the journey was to earn more money.

Otto left for Argentina via Amsterdam in Holland, click here

Only divergence is his date of birth, the church book is correct.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 13/04/2008 23:17:02
Go to Top of Page

Olsen-Böje
Starting member

South America
19 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2008 :  23:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kare, one more piece for my family puzzle.

Olsen-Böje
Go to Top of Page

Trond

Norway
174 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2008 :  17:17:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if this is the family in the census of 1865. Their names, year of birth, occupation fits except Andrines name witch here are Andrea. Her you will find Bernhard and Axel Kristiansen whom will be Otto’s godparents in 1880, they are also his brothers. Bentzegaden 290 is located at Sagene, Oslo.

Maybe this could lead you to a Bøje/Bøye farm; there is a fame located in Lom/Skjåk, Gudbrandsdalen, Oppland County.

Trond Austheim

Edited by - Trond on 15/04/2008 17:34:29
Go to Top of Page

Olsen-Böje
Starting member

South America
19 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2008 :  01:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the word in itself mean anything in Norsk ? I have found bøye in the dictionary meaning: bend, bow, buoy, conjugate, diffract ,
does´nt make much sense, Perhaps as you say it´s related to that farm.

Olsen-Böje
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2008 :  05:47:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christian and Andrea were married April 26 1857, see #49
they were living at Lilloeiet.
When Axel Olaus was born she was Andrine, see #148
When Gustav Bernhard was born she was Andrea, see #161
and when Oluf Alfred was born she was Andrea, see #333
i.e. Andrine = Andrea

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 16/04/2008 07:11:54
Go to Top of Page

Trond

Norway
174 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2008 :  15:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The engagement records #59 gives names of Kristian and Andrea/Andrines parents. Kristian is son of Ole Andersen and Karen Marie Christophersdatter. Born at Vaggesteen in Aker 25 July 1829 #176 Andrea’s parents are Ole Nielsen and Anne Mikkelsdatter. Born in Drøbak 16 January 1836 #9.

Another brother of Otto is Kristian Ferdinand Christiansen/Kristiansen/Olsen born 14 March 1873 in Gamle Aker parish #311

Trond Austheim

Edited by - Trond on 16/04/2008 15:29:00
Go to Top of Page

Olsen-Böje
Starting member

South America
19 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2008 :  17:28:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Each new data takes you farther but brings new challenges. I continue to take advantage of your good will.
On Kristian´s birth register, of which you so kindly sent the reference, on the second page it reads, Martha Andersdatter, ...............................?, Hans Olsen og Morten Christophersen. Who are they, grandparents perhaps? And what do you read after Martha´s name?

Olsen-Böje
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article