All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 The Nilsens
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sarahnelson
Starting member

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2008 :  22:04:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Jan Peter,

Thank you so much for all of that information! Its absolutely fantastic!
The date of the marriage between Nils and his second wife Ane in relation to Kristians birth is very interesting!
Thanks again for all your help, and thank you to everyone on the thread who has helped us - we really do appreciate it.

Sarah and Carl

Go to Top of Page

sarahnelson
Starting member

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2008 :  22:15:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Cath Davies,

Lovely to hear from you!

Carl is four generations away from Christian and Walborg - Christian is his great great grandad on his paternal side. 'Nilsen' morphed into 'Nelson' over time!

Heres what we know!....It seems Christian and Walborg came over to England seperately, and met and married over here. Hans (Walborgs brother) acted as a witness at their wedding in 1876. The marriage was in Liverpool (unsurprisingly!!). Christian and Walborg had at least three children, Christian, August and Ruldoph.
Ruldoph married Mary Elizabeth Sammonds, again in Liverpool, in 1899. They had several chrildren, including John Nelson, who was Carls grandad. John Nelson was born in Liverpool and moved to the Wirral where Carls father and Uncle were brought up. Carls parents moved to Chester, where he was brought up, and Carl and I are now based in Leicester.

We'd love to know if you have any information on Hans or his family, we look forward to hearing from you!

Sarah and Carl
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2008 :  22:22:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm happy if the info was useful...

Regarding the family of Kristian Severin Nilsen, more information are likely to be found in the local history books from the Farsund area.

The books are written in Norwegian, and usually list farmhistory and general information about the people living there.

I'm not sure where the Hananger farm should be listed, but it could be in one of these volumes:

Listaboka, by Kåre Rudjord. Publisher: [Farsund] : Farsund kommune, 1980- .
Volume 1. Gard og folk. Published 1980 (Farm histories and genealogy)
Volume 2. Gard og folk. Published 1980 (Farm histories and genealogy)
Volume 3. Bygdehistorie : fra istid til 1800-tallet. Published 1992 (General history)
Volume 4. Bygdehistorie : fra formannskapslov til kommunesammenslutning. Published 1987 (General history)
(Note: a 5th volume is being written, and it will contain a collection of articles about Lista)

Lista : En bygdebok. By Abraham Berge
Publisher: [Tønsberg] : Lista herredstyre og Vanse sparebank, 1926. (General history, farm histories and genealogy)

Jan Peter

Edit: The farm Hananger are covered in Listaboka, Volume 2, page 426. Writer: Kåre Rudjord.

Edited by - jwiborg on 26/08/2008 22:33:49
Go to Top of Page

Melinda finnigan
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2008 :  10:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello! I was wondering if any of the Nilsens you have would have the names of Laura amalea (born 3-14-1879), or paul dating to around 1900? Laura possibly married Jens Tanke Dahl (daal?)(born 7-12-1876) in Hero Helgesland (Norway)..She emigrated to the USA in 1900 or 1901...Jens departed 8-20-1900 on the "Demano" to port in Sault St Marie, Michigan, and then on to Seattle, WA...Paul is a male relative (possibly her brother) and lived in "Grindsland" in 1913... any pointers in the right direction would be great! Thanks! ~Melinda Finnigan
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2008 :  16:29:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jens Tanke Dahls baptismal record is #32
his parents were Søren Nikolai Dahl Tobiassen and Maren Jensine Jensdatter.
Laura Amalies baptismal record is #16
her parents were Andreas Back Nilsen and Lovise Johanna Nilsdatter.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 27/08/2008 17:07:40
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2008 :  17:15:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eibache

Jens Tanke Dahls baptismal record is #32
his parents were Søren Nikolai Dahl Tobiassen and Maren Jensine Jensdatter.
Laura Amalies baptismal record is #16
her parents were Andreas Back Nilsen and Lovise Johanna Nilsdatter.

This is a completly different family, and should be covered in a separate topic.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2008 :  17:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just had my dinner and had the intention to suggest the same - Melindas job to do this!

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Melinda finnigan
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2008 :  18:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are SO GREAT!!! How did you find these things? I read the search hints (which were a bit helpful) but I kept hitting walls everywhere I looked...It's so frustrating knowing this info is there, but not being able to figure out how to access it! Thank you Thank you Thankyou!!!! I'm slowly learning to read Norwegian and figuring out Norway's geography! Who knew a box of old pictures would take me on this quest?!? I can't thank you all enough... You have so made my day! ~Melinda
Go to Top of Page

garrathroberts
New on board

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  16:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

My Great, great grandfather is Kristian Severin Nilsen on my mother's side (through his second wife Norah J Murphy). If you would like some more information, please get in touch.

Regards,

Garrath
Go to Top of Page

Hazel Jones
New on board

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  00:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cath, I have just started looking for my family tree, and was interested to read your message as my Great Grandmother was Walburg Elizabeth Drennan. I don't know if you will pick this up as I notice your message was a year ago. Would be interested to learn more. Hazel Jones

quote:
Originally posted by cathdavies

Hi Sarah & Carl !
I was delighted to find someone tracing Rekvoldsen!!!
I put the name on Google and it came up with the Norway Heritage Community. How many generations back from Carl are Walborg and Christian Nilson ?
My interest in Rekvoldsen started around 6 years ago when I found my maternal grandad in the 1901 Census in Birkenhead with his wife and 2 children, plus Walburg Drennan aged 28, widow, and Mabel E. Drennan aged 3 - both stated as being "cousin" to the head of household. With the aid of birth and marriage certificates I discovered that Walburg was the daughter of Hans Olaus Rekvoldsen - Hans was, I think, the brother of Walborg Elisabet Rekvoldsen. I've lots of info in the censuses and burial records etc. The family was firmly based in Liverpool - as I am. Where are you?
I was doing some more research on the Drennans after some time, when I decided to put Rekvoldsen on Google - I'm glad I did now !!! Would really like to hear from you!
Cath Davies
P.S. The entries in the Norwegian Registers are amazing to see - I'm thrilled to have access to these because of your efforts!

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  07:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kristian Severin Nielsens grandparents Niels Knutsen, Aasen and Anna Cathrina Willemsdatter were married Dec 9 1795, see right page
Kristian Severin Nielsens mother Ane Kristine Petersdatter was baptized Sept 4 1814, see second record her parents were Peter Aanonsen and Helene Cathrine Hans Christiansdatter.
Peter Aanonsen, Solberg and Helene Cathrine Hans Christiansdatter, Grimsbye were married Dec 30 1813, see last record right page

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 25/08/2009 07:43:52
Go to Top of Page

GaynorNelson
New on board

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2017 :  00:28:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
it's been a while since anyone has commented on this topic but if anyone is still reading it I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has contributed to it.
John Christian Nelson, son of August, was my grandad and finding out all of this information about my family has been amazing! I'm looking forward to sharing it with the rest of my Nelsons...formerly Nilsens

Gaynor

Gaynor
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article