All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Severine I.Brandbo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mette

Norway
44 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2008 :  14:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need some helps with this girl.

Her name was when she left from Norway Severine I. Brandbo,
She went with line Anglo from Oslo 29 June 1888 and her destination was New York.
She was 18 years old and was from Gran in Hadeland.
I can`t find her anywhere and need help to try to find her.
There was several people in her family who emigrated to Minnesota and North Dakota, but I don`t know where she left.

Have a nice day
Mette in Hadeland,Norway

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2008 :  17:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a Syverine born 12 Apr 1870 in Gran, Oppland, See #117 Her last name would be Ingebretsdtr.

This would be her parents and siblings from the 1865 census.
Is it possible this is the same girl you are looking for?
Les

Edited by - Lester Hanson on 21/07/2008 23:21:38
Go to Top of Page

Mette

Norway
44 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2008 :  22:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Lester

You got the right girl, she was born 12 Apr 1870 on the place called Banken in Gran, Oppland. But the parents are not right, so here are the right family:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=7&filnamn=f60534&gardpostnr=1066&sokefelt=skjul

As you can see there was to men called Ingebret Mikkelsen, but mine Ingebret was from the place called Banken.
Her name was Syverine Ingebretsdatter and I suppose that the letter I was Ingebretsdatter or Ingebretson. But when she left Norway she called herself Severine I. Brandbo.
Her sister Eline called herself Ingebretson when she came to America in 1891.
I have information about here from when she lived in Norway, but not after she left the country.
I can`t find anything about her in America.

Please help me with this girl.

Have a nice day
Mette in Hadeland,Norway

Edited by - Mette on 21/07/2008 22:48:43
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  01:45:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is any information about her recorded in the emigrants information being collected by the Hadeland Kontakforum?
Go to Top of Page

Mette

Norway
44 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  06:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No there isn`t any information about her in Hadeland Kontaktforum as far as I can see. But maybe she stays there under another name. All members in this family has been very difficult to find. Some of the people I found under another names.
I saw that there was some pages who was very difficult to read about the time she came to America and I`m affraid that her name are there, but still I can`t find her in any of the census under this name.

Have a nice day
Mette in Hadeland,Norway
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  13:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She was 18 when she came to America in 1888/1889 and there is no US census available after that until 1900. She's probably married by then and changed to a married name, perhaps even altering her given name. Without some idea of WHERE she settled or what name she may be using I don't hold out much hope for this search.

You mention other members of the same family who emigrated. Who were they? Any MALE family members that can looked for? Perhaps the family all settled in the same state, county or area. Or a female family member who was already married?

My Hadeland ancestor emigrated to an American rural area and later his mother and married sister joined him by settling nearby. They did not come to area with a large population of other Hadeland emigrants and most of them made fairly drastic changes to their American names. It would be hard for any Norwegian researcher to find them in older American records like the censuses if not for the fact that at least one descendant (me) is very actively researching my family history. Even so, my great-grandfather had one sibling who left from Oslo and I've never been able to find again... the US is a BIG country. I can't even be sure that family member actually survived the voyage across the sea - yet.

I checked the online information at the Hadeland Kontakforum website too and only found your Syverine mentioned in a long list of emigrants . Perhaps you can get the Kontakforum and the Hadeland lag to help your search by putting Syverine on the list of emigrants that they are actively looking for in efforts such as in a new publication of their 'Brua'.
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  15:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mette, I seen your post at Ancestor.com, and there is information given there of some of her relatives in the U.S. One of the searchers seemed to have done a thorough job looking in Wisconsin.

Give us your fifndings so far, and maybe someone else will get lucky.

Les
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  16:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lester can you share the link to Mette's post on "Ancestor.com"? A posting available on Ancestry/Rootsweb message boards? Which ?
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2008 :  03:35:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't think Ancestry.com would let me copy their web site address. Sorry.

http://boards.ancestry.com/SearchResults.aspx?db=mb&ti=0&gss=nfwylf&rank=1&adv=show&_88000003=brandbo&gskw=severine+brandbo+1870+Norway

Les
Go to Top of Page

Mette

Norway
44 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2008 :  07:08:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Severine got a sister called Eline Ingebretsdatter/Ingebretson born 12 Jun 1867 who came to America in May 1891 and her destination was Argyle i Wisconsin, this is all I know about her. I haven`t found her either in America after she came to the country.
Her half sister Anne Marie Ingebretsdatter born 8 Aug 1858 came to America in Jul 1879 with her husband Andrew Johnsen, they changed their last name to Dalen and did settle in Wisconsin.
Her other sister was Margrethe Ingebretsdatter and she got married to Charles Johnson from Sweden and changed her name to Margaret Johnson and she did settle in Ashland Wisconsin.
Her cousin Christian Anderson Lien born 10 Jun 1855 did settle in North Dakota, and her cousin Ole N. Anderson born 31 Aug 1857 did settle in Minnesota, her cousin Hans Anderson Lien born 28 Feb 1865 did settle in North Dakota and there was also other family member who was settled in Minnesota.
I hope this will help a little bit.

Have a nice day
Mette in Hadeland,Norway
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2008 :  22:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mette, I think you got some dates mixed up. I found an Anna Maria born 23 Mar 1855, out of wedlock to Ingebret Mikkelssen and Birthe Andersdtr. See #187

Margrethe was born 8 Aug 1858 per your other posting at ancestry.com.

When Anna Maria left Gran, she may have travelled togather with Anne Andersdtrr Tinglestad born 1853.See #44

Wisconsin Death records list a Andreas Johnson, died 28 Dec 1900, Vol1, page 0246. So they should have been in the 1900 census, but can't seem to locate them yet.

The death record for Anna M. Johnson on 17 June 1907 Polk County, Vol. 1, pg 0416 may give some additional family names.

Les

Edited by - Lester Hanson on 23/07/2008 22:11:01
Go to Top of Page

Mette

Norway
44 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2008 :  22:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Lester

Sorry, this was a mistake of me. I was writing this before I got to work early this morning.
In 1895-1905 Wisconsin State Censuses Anne Marie and Andrew had changed their name to Dahlen. I haven`t found when Andrew and Anne Marie died, but the name and place are correct according to the family in US.
It`s Severine and Eline I have trouble to find.

Have a nice day
Mette in Hadeland,Norway
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2008 :  22:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This family really liked to change their names, so I was hoping there would be a chance to find a living relative eventually.

Here is the marriage record for Ingebret and Kjersti, on 27 Dec. 1859, and also his brother Anders on the same day, entry #70. See #68

There is more information than I can read, so can somebody else could provide a translation of this marriage record?

Les
Go to Top of Page

Mette

Norway
44 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2008 :  10:20:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hei Lester

It`s not always easy to read church book, but this says that Ingebret Mikkelsen from Nordgaardsløkken in Skrukelien, know Thingelstad got married to Kjersti Hansdatter from Houg in Aal know Hvalebye 27 Dec 1859 in Gran. Ingebret and Kjersti was 26 years old when they got married.
Ingebrets father was Mikkel Ingbretsen and Kjersti`s father was Hans Andersen.
I believe that the witness was Peder Hougen or Hansen from Aal and Christopher Andersen.
The notification was on 4-11 and 18 Dec 1859.
I`m not quite sure what it says in vaccination, but in the last coulomb it says that Ingebret was married before and he was a widower when he married Kjersti.

Have a nice day
Mette in Hadeland,Norway
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article